The Legend of Bum-bo

This looks terrible.

It's basically a dungeon crawler with this Paper Mario-esque aesthetic. Part of the charm of these games is it plays completely different every time you play it depending on what items you're offered and choose to take, and the randomly generated rooms you're given.

You get random upgrade choices as you go, unlock new playable characters, unlock new abilities, etc as you go. It's got over 100 items that can be modified and upgraded, over 80 unique trinkets, 10 bosses, 30 different enemies and tons of unlockable stuff. Plus they've got Ridiculon doing the music from the Binding of Isaac series, which I really enjoyed.

I watched a couple streamers play it earlier for a few minutes, it uses this puzzle game of sorts to match up icons to gain what people are just calling 'mana' - which are actually Boogers (Green), Poop (Brown), Piss (Yellow), Bones (White), and Hearts (Red) and you use abilities/'spells' depending on how much mana you can accumulate.

I just like these styles of games, I have logged some serious time in Binding of Isaac, it's just a great game to load up, play a lap or two then go back to whatever I was doing.

Also, for anyone that might care it's coming out on Switch and iOS later.

so it's a roguelike puzzle quest paper mario

and puzzle quest was already a mashup of bejeweled and turn-based rpg

just not into the whole randomly generated content thing, i don't see the point. just make a game that's 10 hours long, that's plenty. and if you design the levels well i'll probably play through a second or maybe even third time and get my money's worth. these random games don't have any ideas to justify the length, they're pure grind with some kind of repetitive progression cycle to make sure you get addicted.

so it's a roguelike puzzle quest paper mario

and puzzle quest was already a mashup of bejeweled and turn-based rpg

just not into the whole randomly generated content thing, i don't see the point. just make a game that's 10 hours long, that's plenty. and if you design the levels well i'll probably play through a second or maybe even third time and get my money's worth. these random games don't have any ideas to justify the length, they're pure grind with some kind of repetitive progression cycle to make sure you get addicted.

Fair enough. To their credit though the developers are of a dying breed that still make decent games, but don't push micro-transactions while still managing to launch occasional free updates, new content, and if they do any large updates that warrant a cost, they sell them as expansion packs at a price that justifies the content being delivered.

yeah i mostly play console games and i really miss the days where the game you bought was the game you got, even nintendo pushes updates these days

recently i have seen more of what i think is the best post-release business model, which is cosmetic dlc for $$$ used to support free updates with content. there's always someone who will pay $2.99 to paint their tank rainbow and that's fine and not abusive, you can still feel like you own the "entire" game without buying the dlc, and pumping out content updates keeps people playing so that maybe they'll buy another new skin or two.

Back