[TECH] AMD Ryzen 2

DocHolliday

Contributor
Veteran XX
Who all is looking at upgrading this summer and what are you upgrading from?

I've been waiting for Ryzen 2 on the 7nm process node for quite some time. Will they reach Jerry's coveted super computer status? Now that its almost here I am getting a little excited to build my first PC in almost 7 years. If the benchmarks come back showing near parity with Intel at a lower price point or better I will be pulling the trigger. Still debating on what CPU I want to run with and how much RAM.

AMD Zen 2 Microarchitecture Analysis: Ryzen 3000 and EPYC Rome

Current rig is a I7-3770k@ 4.2ghz air cooled
16gb RAM
2 x 500gb Micro SSD
2 x 4TB Western Digital HDD @ 7200rpm
1080ti MSI bought off Ebay
750w Seasonic Focus Platinum Power supply

Last edited:
With AMD's speed with multithreading its a no brainer with my music processing, video, etc... I will be upgrading motherboard/Ryzen2, and Video Card upcoming.

This happens every time AMD announces a chip.

"It's gonna be the Intel Killer!"
"Leaked benchmarks have it up to 25% faster than an i7/i9!"

Then it comes out and it fucking sucks except for a few niche workstation uses and the excuses start.

g9qYeTr.png

Anyone who still buys Intel after these babies hit the shelves on July, 7th is an utter moron.

Performance wise, Intel is screwed. Price wise, Intel is completely fucked.
All they've to offer is an even more expensive version of the i9-9900k that will run even hotter and has the same security flaws.

This happens every time AMD announces a chip.

"It's gonna be the Intel Killer!"
"Leaked benchmarks have it up to 25% faster than an i7/i9!"

Then it comes out and it fucking sucks except for a few niche workstation uses and the excuses start.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this.

I think people generally hope for it, but never say it's an outright done deal.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this.

I think people generally hope for it, but never say it's an outright done deal.

g9qYeTr.png

Anyone who still buys Intel after these babies hit the shelves on July, 7th is an utter moron.

Performance wise, Intel is screwed. Price wise, Intel is completely fucked.
All they've to offer is an even more expensive version of the i9-9900k that will run even hotter and has the same security flaws.

I'll wait for the "2nd gen/plus" refresh of this gen's threadripper before considering an upgrade (I'm currently using the previous "2nd gen" refresh threadripper, the 2950x). :weird:

Well, in 3 weeks the NDAs will be lifted and every single tech publication will release their benchmarks. Then we will know for sure.
But even IF AMDs new CPUs are "just as fast" as Intels top of the line, their price alone should make it a no-brainer. :shrug:

dude i swear this was an Odio post. Same claims about ryzen destroying intel. i have both. i do like the ryzen but not enough to justify it honestly.

My post? I kept my language pretty neutral because I know how this works. So far it looks very promising. Even if Intel is a little faster for gaming the price difference should sway me in AMD's direction. The only thing I am really worried about is motherboard pricing. PCI4 support pushes the price up quite a bit from what I have read. No more builds using $100 boards.

My post? I kept my language pretty neutral because I know how this works. So far it looks very promising. Even if Intel is a little faster for gaming the price difference should sway me in AMD's direction. The only thing I am really worried about is motherboard pricing. PCI4 support pushes the price up quite a bit from what I have read. No more builds using $100 boards.
You don't NEED a X570 board tho. The new chips will work fine on any B450/X470 board and even some B350/X370 with a BIOS update.

ENZK0QK.png

Fair enough. The boards will cost a bit more but probably not THAT much more that it would break your budget :shrug:

I don't have a budget per se, but I do like getting good bang for the buck. I've built PC's since the 90's and the most I ever spent on a board was $150.

Thinking 3700x, new board, and 16gbx2 ddr4 3200 kit. Waiting for benchmarks to see how it scores and OC'ing results. 4.4ghz @ 65w TDP is amazing. I am hoping this is the new go to CPU. If it can OC to 4.6ghz or better on air cooling without cranking the voltage/temps up a ton I think this one will be a winner.

Thanks for this thread and looking forward to your decisions/results. Hope to build soon.

I have a 18-core 9980XE and 128GB of RAM. When will they release something that's better than that?

While overall you are not wrong, I will suggest a slight caveat.

I have an I7-6700K system, so obviously intel mobo and ram. I use it for gaming and light office work. Buying a new amd cpu, mobo, and ram, is a huge waste of money for me. My upgrade plan is to wait until socket LGA 1151 becomes End of Life, and upgrade to whatever $300 intel CPU fits. For all I know, this could be an I7-12700K.

Unless CPUs become as influential to gaming as GPUs, switching to another vendor just because of one generations huge improvement is not cost efficient.

Back