when/what to upgrade my PC?

Deceptikon

Veteran XX
i'm currently on a 5 year old i5 4690k @ 4.4ghz / 8gb dual channel DDR3 1866mhz / R9 290x 4GB / 1080p 144hz display

the very newest games BF V / AC: O etc definitely choke my old i5 to death but I generally play less demanding games

you guys think the better upgrade is overpaying for some old DDR3 and a good videocard or refresh my mobo/cpu/ram first?

GPU prices are stupid and even the cheapest 1070's in Canada right now are like 700 bucks and the same exact 8gb DDR3 kit I bought years ago is now selling for 20-30 dollars more everywhere

what buy TW?

I have quite similar situation.
except my R9 290x 4gb blew it's fan out in the summer so I replaced it with 1070 8gb thing.

I only play PoE, so no idea what to recommend.

no will be sticking with 1080p for the future and if I ever replaced it just another 1080p144hz but something new with freesync/gsync

u should wait 4 advice from pros like die_hard but i feel like u want more rams and more megahurts in ur setup since ur not going super hi res

the i5 isn't bottlenecking you nearly as much as that pitiful amount of ram + that shit video card holy fuck

z97 MSI Gaming 5

is the R9 290x is so shit these days if it performs the same as RX 580s and GTX 1060s? Why do I have to pay 700 dollars to get a substantial upgrade to a 5 year old video card? and I don't care about power draw.

ur gonna need a new card eventually so get a 1080ti or something and see if that helps

edit: nice mobo and cpu just double ram upgrade gfx and put a nice, big m2 drive in it for os and ur fav games

Last edited:
z97 MSI Gaming 5

is the R9 290x is so shit these days if it performs the same as RX 580s and GTX 1060s? Why do I have to pay 700 dollars to get a substantial upgrade to a 5 year old video card? and I don't care about power draw.

a 290x doesn't compete w a 1060 or a 970, both of those cards absolutely smoke it

a 290x doesn't compete w a 1060 or a 970, both of those cards absolutely smoke it

a 1060 or a 970 is not a substantial upgrade to a R9 290x man, take whatever fanboy shit you have somewhere else

I have owned any and all combinations of hardware I just want whats best for my money

fuck out of here with passmark I play video games

go look at any benchmarks of any games and find me something real and you won't

Back