PS4, PS4 Pro?

[MoM] Gort

Veteran XX
The optical drive in my PS4 is getting a bit flaky and from what I've read replacing it is a PITA. Ergo, I'm looking to replace the console in the next few months.

I know that the Pro is now the new flagship system for Sony, but I don't have (and aren't looking to buy) a 4K television. That said, is it worth the additional $150 to "future proof" or should I just find the best deal on the older platform?

And for clarification, I already own an Xbox One.

if u don't plan on getting a decent TV, you should probably just stick with regular ps4

Replacing the drive on the ps4 isn't hard. You just have to download the system software for it and put it on a usb drive. You also just have to make sure it is the right size to fit. It takes about 10 minutes and all you need to do is follow the instructions.

It is silly to buy a Pro without plans to get a 4k TV. Without the tv you'll be paying for an upgrade you'll barely see (there's some upsampling but not worth it).

Either that or just find a new slim model deal.

pageTitle

if u weren't planning on getting the pro before you had issues w/ the optical drive, u should probly embrace the $aving$ and get the old model

pc master race

Totally agreed. My PC destroys any console performance wise. I mainly play sports on consoles. I just hate FPS on them.

PS3 had a Blu-ray drive so instead of buying a standard Blu-ray player, I shelled a bit more cash and bought a PS3 instead.

The moment Sony announced their PS4/PS4 pro wouldn't have a 4k Blu-ray drive, I decided to skip the entire generation.

i have an i7/rx 480 and loving it. Would love a vega 56 but price too high. Would love gtx 1070 but i dont to pay the gsync tax

tbh i'd prob get a pro, even though I've got a badass PC, because I don't wanna buy an external 4k disc drive and my PC cube case wont support traditional 5.25" bays. The only reason I'd get it is to play physical discs at 4k, but that will never happen bc i dont purchase movies on disc, so the whole plan is shit to begin with

Just wish i would have bought the 1tb version and not the 500g. When i bought mine, all they had for 1tb was the pro and i really dont see a need to get a 4k tv right now. Yeah, sure, i want a new TV but no reason to upgrade mine at the moment.

if u don't plan on getting a decent TV, you should probably just stick with regular ps4
I have a "decent" TV, just not a 4K.

throw everything in the garbage

grown men dont game
Thanks for your help. Can you tell me what grown men do when they're not sleeping, working, raising their kids, or fucking their supermodel wives?

Replacing the drive on the ps4 isn't hard. You just have to download the system software for it and put it on a usb drive. You also just have to make sure it is the right size to fit. It takes about 10 minutes and all you need to do is follow the instructions.

It is silly to buy a Pro without plans to get a 4k TV. Without the tv you'll be paying for an upgrade you'll barely see (there's some upsampling but not worth it).

Either that or just find a new slim model deal.
Really? Everything I read said the optical drives are paired to the motherboard, so you pretty much have to rebuild the whole thing.

tbh i'd prob get a pro, even though I've got a badass PC, because I don't wanna buy an external 4k disc drive and my PC cube case wont support traditional 5.25" bays. The only reason I'd get it is to play physical discs at 4k, but that will never happen bc i dont purchase movies on disc, so the whole plan is shit to begin with
Especially since the Pro doesn't support 4K physical media. ;)

Thanks for the input. The current system is working (for now) though it can be frustrating as hell when I want to play a quick game and have to spend 3-5 minutes getting the media to load. Based on the (helpful) responses and a bit more research, I think I'm going to opt for the upgrade once I finally decide to pull the trigger. It's only $100 more.

Last edited:
Just clean the sensor and you'll be GTG
Haven't taken the thing apart; not willing to do that until I'm ready to buy a new one. I did blow a can of air through it and ran a disc cleaner (at least I think I did; PS4's don't natively read CDs, but it sounded like it spun the disc.) Didn't help. Turning the console on its side has helped more than anything else but even then sometimes I need to wobble it slightly. I've read a few forums that point toward an alignment issue with the laser. Seems plausible, especially since moving the console into a vertical position has shown the biggest benefit.

ill never understand console nerds. dont they realize how awful those games are compared to whats on PC. sure, theres a few good ones, though theyre mostly coming from nintendo... the last good console game co.

Back