PS4, PS4 Pro? by [MoM] Gort - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page PS4, PS4 Pro?
Page 1 of 2
Thread Tools
[MoM] Gort
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 01-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Reply With Quote
The optical drive in my PS4 is getting a bit flaky and from what I've read replacing it is a PITA. Ergo, I'm looking to replace the console in the next few months.

I know that the Pro is now the new flagship system for Sony, but I don't have (and aren't looking to buy) a 4K television. That said, is it worth the additional $150 to "future proof" or should I just find the best deal on the older platform?

And for clarification, I already own an Xbox One.
 
[MoM] Gort is offline
 
Sponsored Links
EyeZ
Veteran5
Contributor
Old
2 - 01-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Reply With Quote
Ps4 pro probably better if you ever want to get into psvr
 
EyeZ is offline
 
[MoM] Gort
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 01-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeZ View Post
Ps4 pro probably better if you ever want to get into psvr
No desire for the PSVR. I'm a casual player and having to "gear up" any time I want to play a given game isn't appealing.
 
[MoM] Gort is offline
 
Rev_Night
WelchesX
Contributor
Old
4 - 01-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Reply With Quote
pc master race
 
Rev_Night is offline
 
coombz
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 01-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Reply With Quote
if u don't plan on getting a decent TV, you should probably just stick with regular ps4
 
coombz is offline
 
epidemic
VeteranX
Old
6 - 01-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Reply With Quote
throw everything in the garbage

grown men dont game
 
epidemic is offline
 
Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
7 - 01-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Reply With Quote
Replacing the drive on the ps4 isn't hard. You just have to download the system software for it and put it on a usb drive. You also just have to make sure it is the right size to fit. It takes about 10 minutes and all you need to do is follow the instructions.

It is silly to buy a Pro without plans to get a 4k TV. Without the tv you'll be paying for an upgrade you'll barely see (there's some upsampling but not worth it).

Either that or just find a new slim model deal.

pageTitle
 
Kerosene31 is offline
 
Edofnor
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 01-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Reply With Quote
if u weren't planning on getting the pro before you had issues w/ the optical drive, u should probly embrace the $aving$ and get the old model
 
Edofnor is online now
 
Merranza
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 01-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Night View Post
pc master race
Totally agreed. My PC destroys any console performance wise. I mainly play sports on consoles. I just hate FPS on them.

PS3 had a Blu-ray drive so instead of buying a standard Blu-ray player, I shelled a bit more cash and bought a PS3 instead.

The moment Sony announced their PS4/PS4 pro wouldn't have a 4k Blu-ray drive, I decided to skip the entire generation.
 
Merranza is offline
 
Rev_Night
WelchesX
Contributor
Old
10 - 01-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Reply With Quote
i have an i7/rx 480 and loving it. Would love a vega 56 but price too high. Would love gtx 1070 but i dont to pay the gsync tax
 
Rev_Night is offline
 
HumDumpin
VeteranX
Old
11 - 01-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Reply With Quote
tbh i'd prob get a pro, even though I've got a badass PC, because I don't wanna buy an external 4k disc drive and my PC cube case wont support traditional 5.25" bays. The only reason I'd get it is to play physical discs at 4k, but that will never happen bc i dont purchase movies on disc, so the whole plan is **** to begin with
 
HumDumpin is offline
 
samUwell
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
12 - 01-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Reply With Quote
Just wish i would have bought the 1tb version and not the 500g. When i bought mine, all they had for 1tb was the pro and i really dont see a need to get a 4k tv right now. Yeah, sure, i want a new TV but no reason to upgrade mine at the moment.
 
samUwell is offline
 
[MoM] Gort
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 01-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by coombz View Post
if u don't plan on getting a decent TV, you should probably just stick with regular ps4
I have a "decent" TV, just not a 4K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epidemic View Post
throw everything in the garbage

grown men dont game
Thanks for your help. Can you tell me what grown men do when they're not sleeping, working, raising their kids, or ****ing their supermodel wives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene31 View Post
Replacing the drive on the ps4 isn't hard. You just have to download the system software for it and put it on a usb drive. You also just have to make sure it is the right size to fit. It takes about 10 minutes and all you need to do is follow the instructions.

It is silly to buy a Pro without plans to get a 4k TV. Without the tv you'll be paying for an upgrade you'll barely see (there's some upsampling but not worth it).

Either that or just find a new slim model deal.
Really? Everything I read said the optical drives are paired to the motherboard, so you pretty much have to rebuild the whole thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HumDumpin View Post
tbh i'd prob get a pro, even though I've got a badass PC, because I don't wanna buy an external 4k disc drive and my PC cube case wont support traditional 5.25" bays. The only reason I'd get it is to play physical discs at 4k, but that will never happen bc i dont purchase movies on disc, so the whole plan is **** to begin with
Especially since the Pro doesn't support 4K physical media.

Thanks for the input. The current system is working (for now) though it can be frustrating as hell when I want to play a quick game and have to spend 3-5 minutes getting the media to load. Based on the (helpful) responses and a bit more research, I think I'm going to opt for the upgrade once I finally decide to pull the trigger. It's only $100 more.
 
[MoM] Gort is offline
 
HumDumpin
VeteranX
Old
14 - 01-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Reply With Quote
oh ****, good correction i didn't know that!
 
HumDumpin is offline
 
HumDumpin
VeteranX
Old
15 - 01-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post
Just wish i would have bought the 1tb version and not the 500g. When i bought mine, all they had for 1tb was the pro and i really dont see a need to get a 4k tv right now. Yeah, sure, i want a new TV but no reason to upgrade mine at the moment.
Sam, just get yourself an ~60-80$ western digital 1tb hard drive, get the 2.5 inch form factor

Western Digital HDD WD10JPLX 1TB Mobile 7200RPM 32MB Cache 2.5inch SATA Black Bare - Newegg.com

64.95$
 
HumDumpin is offline
 
Last edited by HumDumpin; 01-03-2018 at 03:29 PM.
samUwell
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
16 - 01-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumDumpin View Post
Sam, just get yourself an ~60-80$ western digital 1tb hard drive, get the 2.5 inch form factor

Western Digital HDD WD10JPLX 1TB Mobile 7200RPM 32MB Cache 2.5inch SATA Black Bare - Newegg.com

64.95$
Good idea. Why didnt i think of that? hahah.
 
samUwell is offline
 
ArakAtak
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
17 - 01-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Reply With Quote
Just clean the sensor and you'll be GTG
 
ArakAtak is offline
 
[MoM] Gort
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 01-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
Just clean the sensor and you'll be GTG
Haven't taken the thing apart; not willing to do that until I'm ready to buy a new one. I did blow a can of air through it and ran a disc cleaner (at least I think I did; PS4's don't natively read CDs, but it sounded like it spun the disc.) Didn't help. Turning the console on its side has helped more than anything else but even then sometimes I need to wobble it slightly. I've read a few forums that point toward an alignment issue with the laser. Seems plausible, especially since moving the console into a vertical position has shown the biggest benefit.
 
[MoM] Gort is offline
 
HaPpY
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
19 - 01-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Reply With Quote
ill never understand console nerds. dont they realize how awful those games are compared to whats on PC. sure, theres a few good ones, though theyre mostly coming from nintendo... the last good console game co.
 
HaPpY is online now
 
epidemic
VeteranX
Old
20 - 01-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Reply With Quote
i was just kidding bro geez

lighten up
 
epidemic is offline
 
Page 1 of 2
Reply


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page PS4, PS4 Pro?

Social Website Bullshit

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

AGENT: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) / Y
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.