Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Cutting the cord
Page 1 of 2
JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 12-10-2017, 19:56
What are some good alternatives to cable? I see some guy around here selling firesticks with roku loaded on them for $80, my buddy is all gaga over some android box he bought. Really i'd like to lose cable all together. I only stay because i like the local news channel that only spectrum has and probably only really watch like 8-10 channels

suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 12-10-2017, 19:59
the internet?

wtf is there worth watching on cable anyway?

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 12-10-2017, 20:00
This thread here.
Cutting the cord - Options for moving away from cable tv by Eggi - TribalWar Forums

Install the HD Antenna in your attic, run the co-ax cable from the antenna to where cable comes into your home. Now every TV in the house can get Over The Air (OTA) channels. Then all you need is an internet line going to your router. There's a bunch of channels OTA (local, Ion, H&I). I watch TV in my computer room, so I'm usually watching videos on YouTube. We have Amazon Prime but barely watch movies on it.

Honestly, I find other things to do (play my keyboards) and don't even miss cable.

Last edited by NoGodForMe; 12-10-2017 at 20:33..
Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 12-10-2017, 20:14
Your local channel isn***8217;t broadcast through the air? If all you want is basic channels, why pay at all?

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 12-10-2017, 20:25
I never bothered getting cable when I moved 7 years ago. Everything I watch is YouTube or torrents. If I didn't have torrents I'd pay for Netflix and be done with it.

I suppose if I watched sports I'd need to figure out some additional sources. Those programmed Kodi boxes or whatever seem to work great.

hastie
VeteranX
Old
6 - 12-10-2017, 20:25
We have netflix, prime, and hulu for bingeing and the wife needs to have noise in the background, so we got sling tv for live channels. Run it on roku and chromecast. First gen chromecast doesn't get along with slingTV though.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
7 - 12-10-2017, 20:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jimmy Pop View Post
this is how I know ur an alien

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
8 - 12-10-2017, 20:38
I never understand this question. Turn the **** off. And - while you are at - bail off social media. TW is all you need

Want a movie or series? You have options. I pay for all my **** on Amazon. Other people do it with torrents.

Also - tune back into radio if you have time. There are still some pretty good broadcasts. They almost all have podcasts as well.

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 12-10-2017, 20:41
From what I***8217;ve seen with Roku you pay for a fair amount of content depending on what you want to watch and maybe torrent skills. $20 a season for a show here, $20 there for seasons of a series on Amazon fire. I won***8217;t mind paying for AT&T TV over their FIOS just cuz I***8217;m sick of Time Warner. NGFM***8217;s outline for OTA access would handle everything I need - All I really watch is law and order marathons on my days off. Not sure about sports **** it I***8217;ll just pay AT&T

malibru
VeteranX
Old
10 - 12-10-2017, 20:47
We have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I mean...we have cable because I DVR **** to watch later, but I'd just torrent it if we didn't.

If you don't watch TV all that much, why bother with anything at all? You can usually stream news channels online for free.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 12-10-2017, 20:51

Xcursion
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 12-10-2017, 20:55
It isn't a "firestick with roku loaded" since Roku has their own devices. Roku is a mix between Chromecast, Amazon Fire-TV Stick along with the android boxes people are obsessed with. It also allows for private listening with one of their remotes that has a headphone jack in it.

h4rdluck
VeteranX
Old
13 - 12-10-2017, 21:10
Antenna...and that's about it. Everyone has prime for shipping anyway... And you can decide if you want Netflix or hulu.. But honestly. Just use a friend's account or find those programs elsewhere.

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 12-10-2017, 22:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4rdluck View Post
Antenna...and that's about it. Everyone has prime for shipping anyway... And you can decide if you want Netflix or hulu.. But honestly. Just use a friend's account or find those programs elsewhere.
Yeah, my parents still have Comcast, they can't cut the cord for various reasons. I log into their account and watch any show on my computer or Fire Tablet. The thing is, Comcast blocks some sports saying you have to watch at home, otherwise, I can watch most channels but barely do.

Once you cut the cord, you no longer care about sports. That's because you're paying to watch commercials.

I play scales and arpeggios on my keyboard so I can get better. I watch local channels (mostly FOX). Juggs, you said you wanted to learn guitar. There's a ton of instructional videos on YouTube. I set up my keyboard in front of my computer screen, watch instructional videos on YouTube, and play along on my keyboard.

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 12-10-2017, 22:40
what would ray manzarek do, u kno

Dr Dance
VeteranX
Old
16 - 12-10-2017, 22:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edofnor View Post
what would ray manzarek do, u kno
He'd close all of the doors.

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 12-10-2017, 22:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcursion View Post
It isn't a "firestick with roku loaded" since Roku has their own devices. Roku is a mix between Chromecast, Amazon Fire-TV Stick along with the android boxes people are obsessed with. It also allows for private listening with one of their remotes that has a headphone jack in it.
probably mixed it up with kodi, which is brain dead simple to load onto a firestick.

what you really need when you cut the cord is a good VPN.

TF_Grungir
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 12-10-2017, 23:15
Went to cut it last year and Comcast gave me basic cable + HBO and 25gbs internet for 29.99 a month. That expires in feb.
Wanted to get ps vue but geolocation is still ****ed up so I can't do that. Sling is probably next up on the list.
Also have Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu.

The only thing I miss with the **** channels I get are some sports. Can't watch the wings (no fsd) and only catch Liverpool when it's on nbc proper. Can't watch mnf either (no espn). Have NHL center ice so I can still watch plenty of hockey.

GreyGhost
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 12-10-2017, 23:25
With NN about to be executed, this is a great time to shift where you send your money for entertainment.

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 12-11-2017, 02:33
it's a great time 2 shift ur bowels

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Cutting the cord

Social Website Bullshit