Learning Guitar

I know what style im interested in learning. Im not trying to be a speed metal player or anything super technical. My favorite style of guitar playing is just casual blues. Im watching youtube videos and these guys aren't reading anything, they are just playing by ear more or less. Granted they have about a million hours of practice...but thats more or less what I'd like to learn to play. Im not interested in picking up anyone else's sheet music and learning to copy them

get a made in mexico strat, get it setup properly, and watch justinguitar until you get to scales. then learn the blues scale (very similar to minor penatonic, you will see this one in most rock). then put on a shit load of reverb, put your pickup switch on #2 and channel your inner stevie

Acoustic is hard as shit on your fingers. I bought one for Laurie. She took a few lessons and never continued. We eventually gave away the guitar to a girl she knew from church. It's hard because the strings are heavy and farther away from the fret board.

Don't over pay, there's pawn shops, guitar forums, and people selling on CL.

YouTube has a ton of instructional videos. I'm subscribed to a bunch of channels for keyboards and general music. Learning to read music will help. There's apps for that as well you can load on your phone. Then you'll have to learn scales and arpeggios if you want to get good. You can learn the basic pentatonic scale if you want to play the blues, it's a 5 note scale everyone learns.

If you want to play electric and have no interest in acoustic then get an electric. The main thing is get something you will practice. No practice = no learn.

Adults have more trouble with timing and less trouble with dexterity. So if you just want some cowboy chords and basic songs you will be up and running in no time. I recommend learning how to read, hal leonard book 1 and play the dumb songs but learn the instrument. Don't become an out of date jukebox.

Wait until guitar center does a black friday sale and pick one up then. By all means, get electric if thats your dig, but its going to be alot easier to root-in sloppy hand posture.

i play the heaviest gauge d'adarios for the full sound

start off on nylon strings and then smaller gauge acoustic strings

you can get a decent acoustic for $100-200

learn basic chords and with YouTube you can easily learn basic songs

acdc is basically e chords out the ass

I started with a classical guitar because the what my teacher was really good at. Afater my grandmother died she left me aot of money so I bought a nice electric but learning how to finger pick is really key. You should pm gigs.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

Or Rocksmith

Rocksmith is fun. I don't know how much learning is done but it can be used to fan the flames and give you some progress in playing songs. The exercises aren't a complete waste of time.

If you are learning to read music or something.. stay away. If you are just fucking around for your own enjoyment.. then it is worth 50 bucks.

PC version though so you can add music that isn't available to buy

CustomsForge

Need to sign in to access downloadable songs

I play by ear sort of and tabs.. I did learn the bass from rocksmith but I had guitar down pretty well prior to learning bass

Back