Page 4 of 9
Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
61 - 10-17-2017, 20:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falhawk View Post
most high functioning alcoholics don't actually get drunk. Some could have 10 drinks a day, every day, and not even really get buzzed. That's where the disease part comes in. It is more than just a compulsion.
That's pretty much me these days. I don't really get buzzed anymore, but at the same time I don't drink every day nor do I feel compelled to.

Sponsored Links
Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
62 - 10-17-2017, 20:11
Also, interesting alcoholic story...

I have a buddy. He's a chef. We nerd out talking about food a lot. It's fun because no one else has long long conversations about food or cooking with me. Found out he was a serious alcoholic to the point where his gf told him to quit or she would dump him. He gave up cold turkey and had a seizure in his car from withdrawal. I think that was early 20s. It was that bad. A doc said there was no doubt he'd be dead before 30 if he kept it up. Despite all this he's never been able to give a clear answer of how much he drank.

He did quit cold turkey. He started lifting and eating better. He started to transform and look pretty fit and well built. I guess because it was so bad when he was so young he never had a problem with the shakes, or get that kind of "alcoholic haze" look to his eyes.

Anyway I give him a ride one day and he said his gf broke up because he had a few beers with friends on a trip, but he did not get drunk, and the he saw her with another guy right after the breakup, so he broke his sobriety of many months with me. Im not his mother. It's his freedom to buy himself a drink. I told him as a friend I hope he does not regret having the drink.

A few weeks later he says he's going to be out of town and might be hard to contact. He went to rehab. It all started with that drink he had with me.

Last edited by Reggs; 10-17-2017 at 20:15..
GreyGhost
VeteranXX
Old
63 - 10-17-2017, 20:17
Quite a few people probably get a drink after talking to you.

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
64 - 10-17-2017, 20:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLiaL View Post
it's not a disease

it's an addiction
it's not an addiction

it's an erection

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
65 - 10-17-2017, 20:42
I did my fair share of blacking out from like 14-22 idk how u can continue to do that to the age I'm at now(aside from it being a disease)

I am ****in dead with hangovers if I have more than a few beers now, to do that every day I can't imagine

T-Dawg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
66 - 10-17-2017, 20:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenKeller View Post
link your source for this
Various studies give various answers, but here is one that says recidivism is 90-95%

https://www.salon.com/2014/03/23/the...eat_addiction/

It's hard to guage because people might not relapse for ten or twenty years.

Last edited by T-Dawg; 10-17-2017 at 20:56..
Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
67 - 10-17-2017, 21:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenKeller View Post
link your source for this
Not sure about the specific number, but Penn and Teller had a Bull**** episode with it. One of AA's internal studies got leaked. But yeah AA is no more effective than not going at all.

arsin
Veteran++
Old
68 - 10-18-2017, 02:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

I have a buddy. He's a chef. We nerd out talking about food a lot. It's fun because no one else has long long conversations about food or cooking with me. Found out he was a serious alcoholic to the point where his gf told him to quit or she would dump him. He gave up cold turkey and had a seizure in his car from withdrawal. I think that was early 20s. It was that bad. A doc said there was no doubt he'd be dead before 30 if he kept it up. Despite all this he's never been able to give a clear answer of how much he drank.

He did quit cold turkey. He started lifting and eating better. He started to transform and look pretty fit and well built. I guess because it was so bad when he was so young he never had a problem with the shakes, or get that kind of "alcoholic haze" look to his eyes.

Anyway I give him a ride one day and he said his gf broke up because he had a few beers with friends on a trip, but he did not get drunk, and the he saw her with another guy right after the breakup, so he broke his sobriety of many months with me. Im not his mother. It's his freedom to buy himself a drink. I told him as a friend I hope he does not regret having the drink.

A few weeks later he says he's going to be out of town and might be hard to contact. He went to rehab. It all started with that drink he had with me.
Yea ahh, his latest round of drinking didn't start with you.
And he was a raging drunk on that camping trip.

smdh. I don't know how you function Reggs but I'm glad you're alive

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
69 - 10-18-2017, 03:08
My grandpa on my dads side was a raging alky. Was always wrecking cars. Parents told their daughters not to date my dad because of it. My mom is also a raging alky. Drinks every night and sleeps in. I enjoy the drink a few times a week, but it's becoming more frequent.

Nmag
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
70 - 10-18-2017, 05:24
Select better coping mechanisms. There are lots to choose from, some worse than others, some good. Smoking, roller coasters, drinking, skydiving, crack, pot, smack, coke, posting on tw, gambling, speed, donuts, sex, exercise, coco pops, ice creams, masturbation, nail biting, anger, stalking, study, reading, juggling, prescription drugs, starcraft.. there must be hundreds.

If alcohol has become such an issue. Try some others instead.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
71 - 10-18-2017, 05:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztir View Post
I am ****in dead with hangovers if I have more than a few beers now, to do that every day I can't imagine
They get better if u stick with it.

If my wife & kid go away for a week (to visit family) then I get my drink on. First couple of mornings are terrible but by the fourth day you start getting in the swing of it again and you can drink like **** and still manage to get to work and function all day. By 4:00 you're thirsting to crack a cold one and it's like being 25 again

Nmag
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
72 - 10-18-2017, 06:01
For a couple years there I was drinking 6-10 beers a night. It wasn't good.. now I might have 1 or 2 a week. Even a friend of mine who was going through a rough time was drinking way too much. Now he might have 1 beer when i visit, then we have a cup of tea. Years previous, we drink 24 (a slab) between us in a night... we were drinking too much at that point. Funny how the desire to drink can fade when things are ok again in life, and we find better coping mechanisms.

Kelven
VeteranXX
Old
73 - 10-18-2017, 07:45
Quote:
Not sure about the specific number, but Penn and Teller had a Bull**** episode with it. One of AA's internal studies got leaked. But yeah AA is no more effective than not going at all.
most of the guys I met in AA when I got sober are still sober today.

Kelven
VeteranXX
Old
74 - 10-18-2017, 07:49
I didn't drink the AA koolaid, I only did like 8 months if it, it was helpful and I have seen it help a lot of people.

T-Dawg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
75 - 10-18-2017, 07:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelven View Post
most of the guys I met in AA when I got sober are still sober today.
and many of them were sober for years before you joined. You don't see the 19 people who relapsed for every successful AA member.

Kelven
VeteranXX
Old
76 - 10-18-2017, 07:57
it's not a secret when people relapse. I have 20 year, some of my friends have 30 years

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
77 - 10-18-2017, 08:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dawg View Post
Various studies give various answers, but here is one that says recidivism is 90-95%

https://www.salon.com/2014/03/23/the...eat_addiction/

It's hard to guage because people might not relapse for ten or twenty years.
Are we seriously calling 10 - 20 YEARS of sobriety a failure? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big AA fan, but it works for many people I'd say. If you aren't really spiritual at all or are very independent (not relying on others) you probably won't get too much from it, but like I said at least meet a few people you can tell about drinking behind dumpsters that will not automatically think you're a degenerate and offer no advice. i mean you are a degenerate but no need to point it out.

Also, that article sucks. It tells you how rehab and AA suck, but it doesn't really have any better suggestions, and that's really the problem. No one has any idea how to treat mental illness including addiction. They have to send you somewhere so you goto AA or you goto rehab and then you come out and BOOM you're cured and the judge dismisses whatever charges you have pending. Alcohol is killing people slowly but surely but right now the real problem is opiods since every ****ing bag of heroin is mostly fentanyl these days. Some of those dudes goto NA or rehab that's a good thing, what the hell else are they going to do? You know they ain't gonna take suboxone or vivitrol.

Austforbeer
VeteranXX
Old
78 - 10-18-2017, 08:29
Quote:

Apparently binge drinking is rampant in the food industry. I'm friends with a chef and him and his coworkers are always out drinking after work.

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
79 - 10-18-2017, 08:38
as a bartender I saw more people doing cocaine on the waitstaff than anything else. up all night getting rocked smoking a carton of cigarettes. every night. and these people are 30+

Window
VeteranX
Old
80 - 10-18-2017, 08:50
Didn't read all the posts, but if it hasn't been said you need to get your wife 100% involved. Exercise more and try to eat healthy, it will help you sleep so you don't feel like yo need alcohol to pass out (of course the other benefits also).

Page 4 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page i'm a functional alcoholic

Social Website Bullshit