Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page DOW/S&P all time high!
Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 09-20-2017, 20:44
How's that for news?

Yeah baby - rocking that awesome, healthy American ****ing money machine.
Congrats hard workers and smarties. We are killing it.

Sponsored Links
Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
2 - 09-20-2017, 20:48
Quote:
"The market is about as highly priced as it was in 1929," said Shiller on Tuesday's "Trading Nation." "In 1929 from the peak to the bottom, it was 80 percent down. And the market really wasn't much higher than it is now in terms of my CAPE [cyclically adjusted price-to-earnings] ratio. So, you give pause when you notice that."

In his first interview since penning an op-ed on Sept. 15 in The New York Times, the Yale University economics professor reiterated to CNBC that there's one vital characteristic protecting investors from losing their nest eggs: Market psychology.

"It's not just a matter of low interest rates, it's something about the American atmosphere. It's partly the Trump atmosphere. Investors love this. I can't exactly explain ***8211; maybe it has something to do with prospective tax cuts. But I don't think it's just that. It's something deeper, and it's pushing the American market up," he added.

Unlike 1929, Shiller points out there's not much talk about people borrowing exorbitant amounts of money to buy stocks. Plus, he notes there's now more regulation.

But don't mistake the Yale University economics professor for a bull.

"I don't want to encourage people too much to put a lot into the most expensive market in the world," said Shiller. "The U.S. has the highest CAPE ratio of 26 countries. We are number one."

Shiller's latest thoughts came as stocks extended a record win streak.

The Dow hit both an all-time intraday high and close. It's now up 22 percent since Donald Trump won last November's presidential election.

The S&P 500 and Nasdaq both closed at fresh record highs on Tuesday, too.

Shiller may see red flags, but he isn't ruling out a market that continues to churn out fresh records for months, if not years.

"I wouldn't call it healthy, I'd call it obese. But you know, some of these obese people live to be 100 years, so you never know," said Shiller.

JustinCase
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 09-20-2017, 20:52
suckers, I cashed out everything and bought bitcoin

JustinCase
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 09-20-2017, 20:55
I like how economists basically make their careers by talking out both sides of their mouth

must be nice

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 09-20-2017, 21:01
Toys arn't Us filed for bankruptcy yesterday

Toys ‘R’ Us Files for Bankruptcy, Crippled by Competition and Debt - The New York Times

Vanster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 09-20-2017, 21:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstax View Post
How's that for news?

Yeah baby - rocking that awesome, healthy American ****ing money machine.
Congrats hard workers and smarties. We are killing it.
You do understand that as time goes by, and inflation goes up, the industrial average will follow. Or do you not?

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
7 - 09-20-2017, 23:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanster View Post
You do understand that as time goes by, and inflation goes up, the industrial average will follow. Or do you not?
senior (lol) economist vanster weighing in on his understanding of things his sources are familiar with the thinking of

p.s. magnets

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 09-20-2017, 23:39
#MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA #MAGA

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 09-21-2017, 00:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdoggie View Post
Toys arn't Us filed for bankruptcy yesterday

Toys ‘R’ Us Files for Bankruptcy, Crippled by Competition and Debt - The New York Times
Out with the old - in with the new.

You know what hasn't changed? Little kids like the ****ing boxes more than the toys. Then - Minecraft. That's it. The only toys a kid really needs. Maybe a god damned doll if you are a girl. Dolls give girls something to torture when adults aren't looking. It helps get them ready for husbands and BFFs.

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
10 - 09-21-2017, 00:44
Trump takes all the credit for this because the MAGA hats are made in China. Or something.

Vermouth
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 09-21-2017, 00:52
Probably downturn, if not serious recession, next year.

I've been short term trading $5000 for a bit, up 10% month over month. This is nothing too special, as any remotely competent investor could match it, I'm sure. I'll be putting in more money to get to around $10k by the end of the week.

What I'm debating now is what to do when that recession/downturn comes. I have another $50k or so liquid. Will probably deploy that once everything goes on sale (hits bottom).

For folks interested in bull/bear markets and economics, I saw a good video on it the other day, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHe0bXAIuk0

Based on that, it looks like the US gov't already played the "drop the interest rate" card. Really not sure what else they could do besides print money next time there's a downturn, which would spin us out into a serious recession. Folks are saying China is getting close to a downturn as well.

Should be interesting times and good opportunities in 2019-2020

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
12 - 09-21-2017, 03:20
that statement from the economist ... "so it might be good or bad" ... thanks.

this market is nothing like 1929 and putting that out there is clickbait bull****. if the market right now is truly "priced" - this term is not defined nor is information on how these numbers were derived provided - at 1929 levels without everyday people buying mortgage dollars worth of stocks on margin with leverage - I'd say that's pretty good.

However he then goes on to basically say the markets are completely irrational and all his analysis is basically reading tea leaves

so there's that. don't get me wrong, this is some bull market, but to say the market is priced at 500% of actual value is a real stretch if we're just talking securities.

Pengo
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 09-21-2017, 04:17
Economy-predicting articles/authors are a waste of time. A successful article for them is one that gets a lot of views, not one that ends up being accurate. They cherry pick data as needed to prove whatever point they're trying to make and don't care about anything beyond that.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
14 - 09-21-2017, 06:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
Quote:
The Dow hit both an all-time intraday high and close. It's now up 22 percent since Donald Trump won last November's presidential election.
toot toot

cant get enough of that wonderful trumpf

TheVoiceOfReason
VeteranX
Old
15 - 09-21-2017, 14:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCase View Post
suckers, I cashed out everything and bought bitcoin

Quote:
In 2017, Shiller was quoted as calling the Bitcoin the biggest financial bubble at the time.[30]

dubsack
VeteranXV
Old
16 - 09-21-2017, 14:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanster View Post
Oh **** not just math and science but economics too, this mother ****er knows it all.

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
17 - 09-21-2017, 16:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
Takeaways from the FOMC: ***8220;watching paint dry***8221;

like watching paint dry watching them unwind trillions in stocks that they purchased this year alone

LOL

****ing markets.......how do they work

answer is nobody knows anymore

Last edited by Captain Tele; 09-21-2017 at 16:18..
Thingfish
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 09-21-2017, 16:35
NGFM knows

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page DOW/S&P all time high!

Social Website Bullshit