[Official] The Anglers Thread

They're the least edible of the Pacific salmon. From all accounts their flesh is very, very oily. But they put up a hell of a fight.

Coho (silver salmon) should be coming in to the rivers in the next week or two. Although they're the smallest of the Pacific salmon, they're the hardest fighting. I'm hoping to have some good luck this fall.

do you guys belive in Karma? i do. especially after today. long story short i only landed 2 smalls but i started my day off helping a complete stranger on the dock land a catfish with my net as he didnt have one. a few mins later he hooked up again but lost the fish and a nice rapala lure was hooked on his hook... he gave it to me :)

later in the day i stopped my own fishing to help a lady and her kids get the correct set up to land a fish. i noticed the kid was trying to land bass on a white grub worm with some trout powerbait on the hook. right now no one is landing any trout so i told him next time you pull your line in i will help you set up a drop shot. so i gave him a hook and a drop shot weight and showed him how to correctly tie the knots to get that accomplished. he didnt land any fish but a few mins after a guy walks up to me and hands me a handful of these. Gamakatsu Swivel Shot G-Finesse Hook 3pk. he says i heard you talking about them earlier and i dont like the hassle of setting em up so here you go.
FUCK YEA!!!!! 6 bucks each? a complete stranger hands me like 30 bucks in hooks. yea callit what you want but i do believe if you do good good will come your way.

so think about that before your next fishing trip... do something nice for a complete stranger and im sure that in some way some how it will pay off.

I caught a shark.

xFqQiEu.jpg

ayy lmao

not a bad way to start off the week. hit up lake mira mar for a couple hours this morning... first fish on...
r73oxs.jpg

hit her within 15 mins of getting on the dock with one of them swivel drop shot hooks and a drop shot weight with a brown and blue roboworm. she was a fighter... fun catch but i had forgot my net so bringing her over the railing i bonked her... i am lucky it didnt break the line right there... i think it knocked her silly for a second and i got it on deck. she weighed 1 lb 1/4 oz so yay!!! 25% size increase from my last one i got HAHA
2dt3zg0.jpg

got that little on the same setup. not much of a fight but it was only a few reels in from the cast so i got to pull it in from afar.

so yea it was a couple of hours (from like 5:45 till maybe 7:00) of lots of hits. i had something like 8 hits but only sunk those 2. one held on for a second or two but let go.

Last edited:
i knew it would be a good week.
Winner Winner Catfish Dinner
the 2lber was a fun catch. i had 4 fish on line today. first was the littler one then the bigger one in the pic. after it was dead for a while i got a good fight that snapped my line. the forth i never really set the hook and it spit it out.

9a1z87.jpg

Last edited:
i almost forgot the craziest part of the morning.

casting out my drop shot as soon as the lure hit the water i felt crazy action. so i pull for the set. look up and see a duck freaking out.... my slack in the air on the cast caught a duck flying by. so i reeled the duck in and a guy on the dock covered its head with a towel while i freed the wing. i never had to cut my line... so yea i also caught a fucking duck :lol:

just switched one of my poles to braided line. anyone else out there use braided line now? i got 10lb moss green color. i heard good things about it for my local lakes.

if anyone has knowledge about poles i could use it... i need something that can cast big heavy lures without snapping. I been wanting to try one of them rat lures for big mouth bass but all the poles i have right now will snap. Preferably a spin casting rod but i am open to baitcasters. as well.

whats that guy a 2 - 3lber? thats a nice bass my friend.

also what kayak set up do you have? show us your kayak setup... i have been very interested in them lately.

go a hobie angler pro - they are sweet as

Just the other day I saw those Dr Slick necklaces and thought - who would wear one of those? Now I know
I thought they would tend to get tangled in all sorts of ways - are they actually any good?

The small mouth? Oh, she was almost 5 pounds in that pic. I caught her on fathers day, so she had just finished spawning. Had I caught her around this time she would have been 6+. Was a fat smallie! If you zoom in to her upperlip you can see that I caught her with a really small woolie bugger too. It was my $800 fish. I had just got my Sage Bass series (Smallmouth) fly rod. I didnt' even get my Orvis reel yet and was using a 20 year old daewa fly reel with line just as old lol.

I don't really have a pic of my setup. I fish from a Wilderness Ride 135 that I rigged up with a pulley anchor. Great boat. It's easy to fly fish from when anchored up.

Hobie is great for deeper water. If you try to take one of those paddle boats into the shallows (where I mostly fish) you're going to have a hard time. Not to mention you'll probably tangle up in the lillies. They don't paddle very well, either. It negates one of the best features fishing from a kayak provides. Being able to go where bass boats can't.

The Dr. Slick necklace is all right. I think it's more for the guys who are fly fishing in streams and have no where to put things down but it works great for the kayak too. You have to understand that anything that isn't tied to your boat is probably going to end up on the bottom of the river at some point. It holds my scissors, 2-3 rolls of tippet and I have a piece of sponge that I clipped on and stick any flies that need to dry onto it to keep water out of my fly box.

just switched one of my poles to braided line. anyone else out there use braided line now? i got 10lb moss green color. i heard good things about it for my local lakes.

if anyone has knowledge about poles i could use it... i need something that can cast big heavy lures without snapping. I been wanting to try one of them rat lures for big mouth bass but all the poles i have right now will snap. Preferably a spin casting rod but i am open to baitcasters. as well.

Make sure whatever rod you buy has a fast action to handle the heavy lures. You should be okay with most any rod as long as the action is good.

Braided line is really good but it has flaws. Make sure you check and recheck your line. It's easy to fray and just a tiny bit of fray will cause a break off the moment you hook into a great fish. You should also be leading your braid with a good 10 feet of flourocarbon. I recommend tying you line together using a blood knot or a surgeon loop.

Good luck!

yes sir... i learned the blood knot and love it. I did use mono till it covered the spool before the braid. i have read and am tying most my knots a tad different for the braided. like when i do my palomar knot(my fav) i loop it through one more time as i heard braid has a tendency to slip and that gives it that extra grip.

I went this morning with 2 poles.. one with braided and a small real trout swimbait. I actually got a hit on it but only the tail and never hooked it. Holy shit its like a freight train compaired to mono. I couldt belive how hard it felt and he didnt even hook.

i did land a 1lber with my other pole that i ran 10lb moss green mono for my first time. she wasnt that much a fight kinda swam towards me and she set herself.
1z2m9no.jpg

i have to say for the area i live in with 2 lakes within 15 mins of my house and something like 5 really good ones within 30- 1 hr...i am loving this big mouth hunting. such a fun fish.
i keep hearing storys of spawning season... i cant wait.

Last edited:
Back