Zed

perrinoia

Veteran X
I got a hankering to make some client-side maps...

Anyone know where I can get Zed, and whatever else I need to emulate an environment that can run Zed?

I'm running Windows 8.1 right now, and I'd shit myself if Zed worked natively.

Also, I notice Dox's blueprint tutorial is offline, any chance anyone saved a copy of it? I could use a refresher.

Yes. It is a program that makes interior shapes for Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes.

Thanks Groove, what else you got in that folder?

Yes, and I was also born yesterday.

It's a sore subject, thanks for bringing it up, lemon.

Update: Zed runs in Windows 8.1... Time to shit myself.

Now I just gotta remember how to use it.

In order to create a new file, I need a pallet file (.ppl) and a material list file (.dml).

I found a bunch of .dml's in Tribes, but no ppls... Do I need to convert them from something, or is there a website that I can download ppls from?

Last edited:
Yes. It is a program that makes interior shapes for Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes.

Thanks Groove, what else you got in that folder?

toolbin.png

omg can you put a hole at the end of the warehouse.dis aka the scarabrae base?

I always wanted to see what an LT variation of that map played like. The flag could go inside the hangar and there could be a hole on the otherside kinda of like dox ice daggar hangars

Yessir... That's definitely what I needed. Thanks a ton!

S_hift, I'd need awarehouse.zed to do that...

This zip contains the following samples:
  • acommand.zed
  • BELfloatingPad.zed
  • bunker2.zed
  • COPLfloatingPad.zed
  • DSLfloatingPad.zed
  • SWLfloatingPad1.zed

Many years ago, I made a variation of the broadsides base (acommand.zed) that had the warp core looking thing removed from the generator room, the pillars removed from the upper entrance, and I tried to put a door in the back, but that edit ruined the whole project, and of course I hadn't saved changes yet...

Actually, I still don't have any ppl files... There are folders that should contain ppl files, but they contain nothing.

Any idea where I get ppl files from? Does one of these other programs create them?

I'm guessing ppl is a package of textures or skins, like concrete, tiles, logos, etc...

idk where i got them from but apparently i had 2 alien .ppl files, i dumped them in that same /tools folder lemon linked above

Oh yeah, I see them now.

Maybe you got them from the alien vol or zip...

I'll extract all of them tonight and see if I can find more.

Not with zed... Maybe one of those other apps in these download links can do something like that, but I don't really mess with skins, or whatever fog is.

yeah fog is weird. personally i would like all of my fog to resemble low creeping mist. anyway to change the height of fog on a map?

No, as a map maker, I have the ability to change the fog distance... That is all I can do with fog.

There are client side memory hacking applications that can change fog, but that has nothing to do with making maps, and everything to do with cheating.

I have no intentions of exploring those possibilities.

PS: I got the ppls and the dmls, and the vols, but still can't create a new zed...

Maybe Zed isn't compatible with Windows 8.1 after all.

I've tried various types of compatibility modes with no success.

Nope... Downloading now.

Update: No dice.

And the interesting thing is I don't always get the same error message...

This is the most recent, although, I've also received "Error allocating palette".
r5jlkrh.png

Last edited:
Back