does this thing compare to a thermapen?

the thermapen is expensive but a good quick read thermometer seems to very useful in my cooking experimentation even though I'm only an amateur. This thing has good reviews and is a fraction of the price. People tell me it's extremely comparable. Some situations I have used a thermometer in that a quick read would be better -

- measuring the temperature of salmon i am trying to get to exactly 120 without overcooking while pan frying
- measuring water temperature for soft cooked eggs
- measuring tomato sauce to 165 and holding it there for braising meatballs

etc, this kind of shit

Amazon.com: CDN DTQ450X ProAccurate Quick-Read Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

I have a quick-read that is analog, but is of the same style and it works great for what I need. I'm sure the digital makes thing a bit more accurate.

No idea about the one you're asking about but here is an alternative I use at times. I got a couple because they're so cheap(<$20).

Amazon.com: RT600C Super-fast Water-resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

Overall they do a super solid job though I will say sometimes the battery has an issue and has to be wiped a bit but the batteries are cheap so w/e.

Oh and they're from the same company(thermoworks) if that means anything to you.

Last edited:
if you really need a thermapen, 5-6 seconds is too long to wait for a temp

but most people really dont need a thermapen and 5-6 seconds is fine

even in the scenarios u listed the salmon is the only one that might benefit from a fast read. the others can easily be done with just about any accurate thermometer. and a lot of stuff that people think they need a thermapen can be accomplished with a nice probe therm.

I cannot imagine any home cook would feel the overwhelming need to have a probe register in 3 secs vs 5-6 but maybe I'm wrong.

just gonna toss this out here but these thermapens r gay as fuk and often times they r not accurate IMO

i not basing this on anything other thnn the fact that i got salmonella from chicken and i used the therma pen and it said the breasts were at 75 C in multiple places and salmonella is the worst sickness holy fuk

just gonna toss this out here but these thermapens r gay as fuk and often times they r not accurate IMO

i not basing this on anything other thnn the fact that i got salmonella from chicken and i used the therma pen and it said the breasts were at 75 C in multiple places and salmonella is the worst sickness holy fuk

LOL
LOL
LOL

but i have eaten chicken that was still soft on the inside and pink (not white like cooked) and ive been fine (i hate cooking)

if you really need a thermapen, 5-6 seconds is too long to wait for a temp

but most people really dont need a thermapen and 5-6 seconds is fine

even in the scenarios u listed the salmon is the only one that might benefit from a fast read. the others can easily be done with just about any accurate thermometer. and a lot of stuff that people think they need a thermapen can be accomplished with a nice probe therm.
5-6 would be just fine for me, all i have right now is a non-digital meat thermometer that takes a long time. definitely not 5-6 seconds, more like 20. it was 10 bucks.

did you put it on the chicken before it was cooked then put it back on the chicken without washing it or something dude

Back