Reload this Page Guild Wars 2
Page 209 of 238
Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
4161 - 09-20-2012, 19:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagonath View Post
For once, why doesn't a MMO company just buy enough damn servers to begin with?
OnLive is dead: venture capitalist retains less than 50% of the employees - GAMER.BLORGE

Quote:
Perlman explained that the reason the company is collapsing is due to poor estimation of the server scale. OnLive apparently initially acquired thousands of cloud servers which can***8217;t be maintained with the current low user base.

Perlman told employees, "If you***8217;ve got 8,000 servers and 1,600 users, how could we ever get to cash flow positive, right?"
I'm assuming it's because once you sign up for those servers you're stuck with them (which will slowly drain you of your money).

It WOULD be nice for them to properly estimate how many servers they need for once. However, because of retail stores (who never properly report their sales to the game companies) it's a shot in the dark. Until we move to 100% (trackable) digital distribution it will stay like this.

Last edited by Bughead; 09-20-2012 at 19:08..
Sponsored Links
HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
4162 - 09-20-2012, 19:16
make a seperate thread about that mac... so i can troll it hardcore

epidemic
VeteranXX
Old
4163 - 09-20-2012, 19:26
i wanted to try onlive but they said no dice cause im on wifi

probably cut their customer base in half

travelyan
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4164 - 09-20-2012, 19:33
onlive had a very noticeable 50-100ms delay between key press and response, and i imagine the only games you could live with that would be like, civ 5

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
4165 - 09-20-2012, 19:49
not to mention its a stupid idea and the reason its failing is one of the many reasons i said it would. and any downy flatfoot coulda told u the same... somehow the obvious eluded the founder.... or rather the investors (founder probably scammed them intentionally)

Last edited by HaPpY; 09-20-2012 at 20:13..
Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
4166 - 09-20-2012, 20:08
OnLive offloaded everything that is normally handled client-side and moved those basic functions to the server side...

Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, Battlefield 3, Diablo 3... all those games run well because certain fundamental elements are handled clientside... or at least use client-side wizardry to hide the latency all games, onLive or not, naturally have when playing online connected to any sort of server.

I knew their service would fail because you can't re-write the basic laws of the inter-webz

Last edited by Hellsfury; 09-20-2012 at 20:53..
HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
4167 - 09-20-2012, 20:30
so is there a place i can bet against dumb ideas (short sell on private companies?)

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
4168 - 09-20-2012, 20:53
I knew OnLive would fail because their product was garbage.

DeadlyRabbit
VeteranXV
Old
4169 - 09-20-2012, 23:03
I bought a copy at the store to avoid a large client download, and now I am downloading 6 gigs of patches.

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
4170 - 09-20-2012, 23:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyRabbit View Post
I bought a copy at the store to avoid a large client download, and now I am downloading 6 gigs of patches.
I bought it and did the full DL anyway, was still about 6.5 GB. Which makes me wonder what is on those discs in the first place.

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
4171 - 09-21-2012, 00:16
a patch downloader lolol

DeadlyRabbit
VeteranXV
Old
4172 - 09-21-2012, 00:43
Feannag is playing this? Abort install...

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
4173 - 09-21-2012, 02:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyRabbit View Post
Feannag is playing this? Abort install...
Quit complaining, I'm not even on Crystal Forest. I'm over on Fort Aspenwood so you'll never even see me unless our servers are on WwW. Even though you won't be able to tell it is me anyway.

**** that Borderlands jumping puzzle, think I got halfway through it in 8 tries and I gave up for the night.

Rurouni
VeteranXX
Old
4174 - 09-21-2012, 03:14
crystal desert

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
4175 - 09-21-2012, 03:16
fort asperg of all servers... how fitting lol

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
4176 - 09-21-2012, 03:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPpY View Post
fort asperg of all servers... how fitting lol
Pretty much been kicking the crap out of the other two servers in WwW this week, abysmally so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni View Post
crystal desert
Whatever, I keep hearing you guys call it Crystal Meth so I don't pay much attention you the last part.

Oxyminoan
VeteranXV
Old
4177 - 09-21-2012, 03:50
Build Editor :: Guild Wars 2 Skills

Warrior build I've been using in SPvP with a lot of success. Highly survivable sustained DPS and control build with bonus support aoe healing every 20ish seconds.

Rurouni
VeteranXX
Old
4178 - 09-21-2012, 03:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyminoan View Post
Build Editor :: Guild Wars 2 Skills

Warrior build I've been using in SPvP with a lot of success. Highly survivable sustained DPS and control build with bonus support aoe healing every 20ish seconds.
i'm going for a similar wvwvw gear build.

S/S and longbow instead. just hit 80. now if only i can catch the damn trading post when its up.

Last edited by Rurouni; 09-21-2012 at 04:03..
Witch
VeteranXV
Old
4179 - 09-21-2012, 04:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious_George View Post
Also, I think it's hilarious how long people will chase you in WvW just to get a single kill. I think I ran this one guy around for about five minutes before he finally caught me (I was naked and on my lvl 20 guardian just running to check out the enemy borderlands jumping puzzle). I don't think I have much PvP spirit since in those same scenarios I usually give up chase almost immediately.
It was the same in DAOC. Great way to bait one or two full groups away from main zerg. Seasoned RvR'rs know that any extended chase is a) huge risk b) never worth it. Mindless cattle doesn't though

GiftOfTheGame
VeteranXV
Old
4180 - 09-21-2012, 10:04
Those stupid chases are forever hilarious though. I think I chased one mesmer from the middle of the borderlands map all the way to the centaur camp in the top corner before bothering to kill him and /dance'ing on the downed body. Big point leads really do make you find other ways to entertain yourself in WvW.

Page 209 of 238

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Guild Wars 2

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
goshin , happy didn't like ap