Guild Wars 2

For once, why doesn't a MMO company just buy enough damn servers to begin with?

OnLive is dead: venture capitalist retains less than 50% of the employees - GAMER.BLORGE

Perlman explained that the reason the company is collapsing is due to poor estimation of the server scale. OnLive apparently initially acquired thousands of cloud servers which can’t be maintained with the current low user base.

Perlman told employees, "If you’ve got 8,000 servers and 1,600 users, how could we ever get to cash flow positive, right?"

I'm assuming it's because once you sign up for those servers you're stuck with them (which will slowly drain you of your money).

It WOULD be nice for them to properly estimate how many servers they need for once. However, because of retail stores (who never properly report their sales to the game companies) it's a shot in the dark. Until we move to 100% (trackable) digital distribution it will stay like this. :hrm:

Last edited:
onlive had a very noticeable 50-100ms delay between key press and response, and i imagine the only games you could live with that would be like, civ 5

not to mention its a stupid idea and the reason its failing is one of the many reasons i said it would. and any downy flatfoot coulda told u the same... somehow the obvious eluded the founder.... or rather the investors (founder probably scammed them intentionally)

Last edited:
OnLive offloaded everything that is normally handled client-side and moved those basic functions to the server side...

Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, Battlefield 3, Diablo 3... all those games run well because certain fundamental elements are handled clientside... or at least use client-side wizardry to hide the latency all games, onLive or not, naturally have when playing online connected to any sort of server.

I knew their service would fail because you can't re-write the basic laws of the inter-webz

Last edited:
Feannag is playing this? Abort install...

Quit complaining, I'm not even on Crystal Forest. I'm over on Fort Aspenwood so you'll never even see me unless our servers are on WwW. Even though you won't be able to tell it is me anyway.

Fuck that Borderlands jumping puzzle, think I got halfway through it in 8 tries and I gave up for the night.

Also, I think it's hilarious how long people will chase you in WvW just to get a single kill. I think I ran this one guy around for about five minutes before he finally caught me (I was naked and on my lvl 20 guardian just running to check out the enemy borderlands jumping puzzle). I don't think I have much PvP spirit since in those same scenarios I usually give up chase almost immediately.

It was the same in DAOC. Great way to bait one or two full groups away from main zerg. Seasoned RvR'rs know that any extended chase is a) huge risk b) never worth it. Mindless cattle doesn't though :)

Those stupid chases are forever hilarious though. I think I chased one mesmer from the middle of the borderlands map all the way to the centaur camp in the top corner before bothering to kill him and /dance'ing on the downed body. Big point leads really do make you find other ways to entertain yourself in WvW.

Back