Duck Rice

AnubiS

Veteran XV
arroz_pato.jpg

1 duck about 1,5Kg
First roast the duck.
After its done, separate the meat from the bones and take the skin off, but reserve both skin and bones. As to the meat shread it in small pieces and reserve as well.
Now you'll need a broth which will be used to cook the rice and for that I use:
1 carrot
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
Olive oil, just a dash
Black pepper
Boil water in a pan (1,5 litres which is roughly 3 pints I think) chop the carrot, the onion and the garlic and put it in the pan along with the bay leaf, olive oil, black pepper and the bones and skin you have reserved.
2 suggestions: dont use a lot of skin as its a bit fatty and you dont want it to be too greasy. Also for the broth dont use a lot of salt or any at all as you've already salted the duck when roasting it.
This broth should cook slowly for about 30-40 mins. After its done filter it and get everything out leaving the liquid only.
For 4, I use 2 cups of rice (I dont know which kinds of rice you can get but it should be a thin rice similar to basmati's without flavour though), and 5 cups of broth.
For the rice:
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
10 slices of bacon (if you can get some chorizo will be great)
Olive oil

Chop the onion and the garlic in small bits then add 5 slices of bacon also cut in small pieces and fry them in olive oil. When its all golden, add the 2 cups of rice and fry it for a couple of minutes.
Add the 5 cups of broth and let it cook slowly untill the rice is done (make sure its not completely dry) which should take about 10-15 mins. It should come out creamy, as it'll dry a bit in the oven.
Turn on the oven 180º but on grill mode (I think thats the name). Get a tray you can use in the oven and take 1/2 of the rice and spread it all over this tray. Then on top of the rice put the small pieces of duck meat you have reserved and on top of it the other 1/2 of rice. On top of all this cut the remaining 5 slices of bacon in 3 or 4 pieces each and display them over the rice. Leave it in the oven for about 10 mins and its ready to go. In the end you may also add some slices of orange.

I would suggest a red wine with good structure and body and with reasonable acidity. Nothing too young. Enjoy!

we call 'grill mode' the broiler

a friend of mine is bringing me 15-20 ducks in a couple weeks for free

will be nice to be able to experiment with them, considering they're ~$5 a pound usually

Back