Mixers/Power amp questions

Fonzie

Veteran XV
So, like vocal effects (see: other thread), I know next to nothing about PA systems, mixers, and amplifiers (for the most part). However, since I play music, my boss assumes I know these things and would rather not hire a professional as long as I can put something together that works (small company, small budget).

So we put in two 70v ceiling speakers in our training facility (Only about 30 ft x 30 ft) and I currently have a Mackie CFX16mkII mixer:

http://www.mackie.com/products/cfx16mkii/images/CFX16mkII-Top.jpg
(for reference)

If I wanted to get a rackmountable power amplifier; how should I go about doing this? I'm guessing I won't need much power (80 watts should be fine). I have the speaker cables run to a plate (interchangeable between binding posts and banana cables for the connections).

I've noticed, for outputs, most power amplifiers (at this wattage) have terminal strips. Also, the inputs are generally Phoenix-type connections. How the heck do I hook up these speakers and mixer to the amplifier? XLR to Phoenix cables for the input?

I truly appreciate any feedback on this matter. I haven't purchased an amp yet so any recommendations would be great. Would like it to be rackmountable and under $500 if possible.

Thanks so much! No idea how much help this would be for me, haha.

:sunny:

What the fuck is a Phoenix connector?

You can get stereo power amps all day long under $500. Ebay, or even new.

Here's the signal chain:

Microphone

XLR Mic Cable

Mixer

1/4" Cable

Power Amp

1/4" Speaker Cable(s)

Speaker(s)

Note that nowhere is "Phoenix" mentioned, since I have no clue what that is. Or a "terminal strip".

Old_skul is right on the money with the signal flow. And I second the thought that finding a power amp for under $500 will be cakewalk. I've always had great luck with QSC but there are alot of good brands.

As far as connections are concerned other than 1/4 TRS connectors, some power amps take banana clips (which you mentioned earlier) and I've run into speakon connections on some yamaha stuff. But in 10 years of running live sound I've never heard of phoenix-type connectors, so I can't help you with that. However, no matter what you connections you need you can buy cables that have what you're looking for. Check a place like sweetwater.com for your options.

What the fuck is a Phoenix connector?

You can get stereo power amps all day long under $500. Ebay, or even new.

Here's the signal chain:

Microphone

XLR Mic Cable

Mixer

1/4" Cable

Power Amp

1/4" Speaker Cable(s)

Speaker(s)

Note that nowhere is "Phoenix" mentioned, since I have no clue what that is. Or a "terminal strip".

Yeah I've never heard of Phoenix connectors either but I figured I just didn't know what they were. If you look at the newer budget models from Crown and QSC at least, that's the connection type it has. And the terminal strip is just this:

A1-TBS-CCJ-006.JPG

where you connect the speaker wires.

The speakers cables for the ceiling speakers weren't run to a 1/4" input plate, the connection looks more like this:

217620602.jpg

but just two pairs since there are only two speakers.

I'll just have to look around for one with 1/4" or even RCA outputs.

Last edited:
I have never seen those connector on pro audio gear but that looks like what gets used on almost all home audio stuff. If your PA system is permanent and not being broken down and moved, they could work fine i suppose. In fact those are even easier to wire up, just buy a proper gauge wire, and strip the ends, and stick them in the little holes.

This is of course assuming these connections are only between the power amp and the speakers. You want to run a balanced signal from your mixer to your power amp or you run the risk of interference. And you can't run a balanced signal with those connections.

Eh, I've seen older bare-wire terminal strips on older amps. I didn't know the budget stuff still had that as a connector. I mean, it'll work just fine. Just strip the cables and screw down the conductor. Make sure to get the polarity right, and get it right on both sides.

Not having a balanced connection in a live situation isn't a big deal. If you get interference...move the cable.

Say I run use a banana cable to 1/4" to connect the output from the power amp to the speakers, does the voltage matter? Like the speakers are 70v (standard commercial speakers) but I was looking into the QSC GX3 (QSC - GX Series Amplifiers and GX Series Specifications)? Not sure how this all works, sorry. :(

Edit: I could even just use banana cables. I'm just curious about this voltage stuff.

Edit Edit: And does the mixer voltage matter?

Last edited:
Back