How do you guys keep track of the metric ass ton of abilities? by G-Force - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page How do you guys keep track of the metric ass ton of abilities?
Page 2 of 3
Dr. Love
VeteranXV
Old
21 - 01-10-2012, 03:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
Don't put things you don't use on the bar.
This x 10

I'm a deception spec assassin, so to save room I take off the taunts, the dark charge, the lightning charge, pretty much anything that isn't conducive to my spec.

It's cool that they give you all of these abilities but if you don't have the spec for them take them off your bar.

Sponsored Links
Terra
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
22 - 01-10-2012, 05:38
1-6
shift 1-6
q, e, g, shift-q, shift-e, shift-g, z, x, c, v
alt 1-6
tilde
capslock
also i use g510 keyboard

PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
23 - 01-10-2012, 09:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
This x 10

I'm a deception spec assassin, so to save room I take off the taunts, the dark charge, the lightning charge, pretty much anything that isn't conducive to my spec.

It's cool that they give you all of these abilities but if you don't have the spec for them take them off your bar.
You should have taunt and AE taunt bound still. It's free points in warzones.

Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
24 - 01-10-2012, 09:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
This x 10

Bottom Bar 2 holds all my stances and shouts etc. Nothing is hotkeyed, but I still use them (Tank when running the huttball, soloing elites, solo-guarding a gun, guarding a healer etc).

Otherwise I think that everyone by now fully understands that you don't need to hotkey everything 24/7 and bury useless abilities. It's just that some classes like Shadow/Assassin have enough utility to warrant having many things mapped.

DeadlyRabbit
VeteranXV
Old
25 - 01-10-2012, 18:01
Strafe using A and D and use your mouse to turn so you don't look like a newb, this frees up Q and E keys, with shift, alt and ctrl, that gives 8 extra keys.

I unbind the scroll wheel from zoom and use ctrl + up and down to handle that. That leaves the wheel up and down, with Shift and alt to bind for abilities you will want to spam like interupt. That gives another 6 keys for binds.

I have G500 mouse, logitech is awesome with the mouse wheel that tilts, I assign those as keystrokes then use [ and ]. With modifiers that gives me 8 more keys.

This mouse has 3 thumb buttons on the side, which gives another 12 keys with modifiers.

The mouse also has 2 more buttons beside the left mouse button (default is sensitivity adjust which I never use), I use one of those for vent to mute my mic, (I use voice activated).

With the modifiers Shift is my most used one, followed by ctrl and alt. I usually group similar abilities on a button then add modifiers, taunt is mouse wheel tilt left and aoe taunt is shift mouse wheel tilt left. If you plan to play alts like I do copy the location of similar abilities on your keybindings to help learn them all faster.

I am only level 33 on my vanguard and I keep moving keys around, the relearning process is annoying doing that but I am getting a better feel of what I should be using all the time.

The mouse I use.

Gaming Mouse G500

PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
26 - 01-10-2012, 18:35
Spamming mousewheel works like **** in SWTOR. I always used mousewheel for my main abilities in WoW, but it tends to cause a lot of GCD burning lockups in this game. Annoys me greatly.

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
27 - 01-10-2012, 18:42
Main abilities: Scroll up, Scroll down on mouse scroll
#s 1-7
F, W, Q, R, A, V, H
Shift for 1-7 and the letters
Ctrl 1 for mounting
Shift Z for companion attacking.

Every kind of interrupt and similar abilities to WoW (after this many years) are still bound similarly. For example, Rogue Kick is like Shadow Consular mindsnap. That's been "4" forever.

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
28 - 01-10-2012, 18:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
Spamming mousewheel works like **** in SWTOR. I always used mousewheel for my main abilities in WoW, but it tends to cause a lot of GCD burning lockups in this game. Annoys me greatly.
What sucks, actually, is that I believe if you check "click environment to deselect your target" works with the scroll pressed down. So a lot of times, I keep my mind on scrolling lightly.

Witch
VeteranXV
Old
29 - 01-12-2012, 05:49
I always bind my 3 quickbars to W, R and T so I can swap between them quickly. I also hate using CTRL and SHIFT modifiers.

Moving with ESDF, quickbinding A G C V Z X Y B (H is for chatreply, old habit from 10 years back). Tab for autorun, Q for "Next enemy" tabbing (mostly target with mouse).

Only got basic mouse, may have to buy better one with couple extra buttons.

I really want a stealth bar for my Darkness SA. I don't need Spike, Blackout etc for tanking but I want to have them available for goofing around while questing and doing PvP

Dr. Love
VeteranXV
Old
30 - 01-12-2012, 12:39
Guide to Strafing and Keybinding « Taugrim***039;s MMO Blog

d0ur
VeteranX
Old
31 - 01-12-2012, 18:23
i always use my mousewheel for interrupts and in swtor i use it also for charge (i'm a hybrid shield vanguard). Its pretty good since neither is a *spam though sometimes the riot strike doesn't activate (but i think thats mostly a general swtor thing that they've commented)

all in all its less keybinds imo than wow. i played a number of classes but compared to say an affliction lock its a lot less stuff to manage.

DeadlyRabbit
VeteranXV
Old
32 - 01-12-2012, 19:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdreNaLiNe View Post
What sucks, actually, is that I believe if you check "click environment to deselect your target" works with the scroll pressed down. So a lot of times, I keep my mind on scrolling lightly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdreNaLiNe View Post
Main abilities: Scroll up, Scroll down on mouse scroll
#s 1-7
F, W, Q, R, A, V, H
Shift for 1-7 and the letters
Ctrl 1 for mounting
Shift Z for companion attacking.

Every kind of interrupt and similar abilities to WoW (after this many years) are still bound similarly. For example, Rogue Kick is like Shadow Consular mindsnap. That's been "4" forever.
It is good to always be prepared to mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ur View Post
i always use my mousewheel for interrupts and in swtor i use it also for charge (i'm a hybrid shield vanguard). Its pretty good since neither is a *spam though sometimes the riot strike doesn't activate (but i think thats mostly a general swtor thing that they've commented)

all in all its less keybinds imo than wow. i played a number of classes but compared to say an affliction lock its a lot less stuff to manage.
I find the vanguard to be easy on the keybinds, jedi sentinel I am not having a easy time with because I have always sucked at DPS because I find strict rotations boring, I am better at adjusting on the fly.

G-Force
VeteranXX
Old
33 - 01-12-2012, 21:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ur View Post

im trying to think back to my wow days, which wasnt that long ago...and how many abilities i used

i know my hunter had all the bars pretty much full with all the stuns, interrupts, snares, traps, shots, and pet control

maybe i just need to give it time and get used to it like any other game

Lord Elessar
or something³
Contributor
Old
34 - 01-12-2012, 22:09
I have a G500 but I'm really thinking about getting a naga for the extra buttons. anyone use one?

PoorDoggy
VeteranXV
Old
35 - 01-13-2012, 00:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Elessar View Post
I have a G500 but I'm really thinking about getting a naga for the extra buttons. anyone use one?
I have one, it is awesome. 1-9 incredibly accessible, 10-12 a bit harder but still useful, add modifiers and you can easily stick multiple full bars on your mouse. I personally have main combat abilities on the mouse and stuns/interrupts/cc/sprint/etc. bound around the WASD cluster.

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
36 - 01-13-2012, 01:03

Use a modifier like CTRL or whatever for an easy 18 extra buttons (I say 18 and not 24 because 10/11/12 are hard as hell to hit without taking your hand off the mouse).

Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
37 - 01-13-2012, 07:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
im trying to think back to my wow days, which wasnt that long ago...and how many abilities i used

i know my hunter had all the bars pretty much full with all the stuns, interrupts, snares, traps, shots, and pet control

maybe i just need to give it time and get used to it like any other game
Depends on the class. My rogue didn't even have bars, everything was mapped to the Mouse and QEF.

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
38 - 01-16-2012, 16:06
Taunt and AE taunt is great to have in Warzones (a good way to get gear even if you're PvE oriented). It reduces the damage someone else does to a person in your group by 30% if you taunt them. That's pretty significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
Did you change it?

Last edited by AdreNaLiNe; 01-16-2012 at 16:15..
AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
39 - 01-17-2012, 12:39
So last night, I switched my main ability to keys. Working an ASS TON better. Don't use mouse scroll.

MountainDewMike
VeteranX
Old
40 - 01-19-2012, 19:18
I think I'm using more keybinds in this game than I have in any other, partially due to a lack of in-game macro support. I manage ok but I'm not sure if it's the cold weather or my age but my fingers are really starting to ****ing hurt especially late in the evening. Probably doesn't help that I spend 12+ hours a day in front of a computer between work and gaming.

Page 2 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page How do you guys keep track of the metric ass ton of abilities?

Social Website Bullshit