Death Punch Studios filling positions.

So you have the capital to take this to court then? Given that they are about to release there own Tribes game, you think they'll allow any competition for their small market?

Good luck buddy.

hirez can juggle my ballsack in their mouthpiece if they want to cry.

There is simply no way they would be able to take anyone to court for making another game that has jetpacks as there are tons of games out there with jetpacks.

If you're planning on doing what I think you are, then jetpacks won't be the only thing similar to the Tribes IP.

They will not only cry, they will bring you to court and, even if they don't win, they'll exhaust your capital resources.

At least that's what I'd do if I owned the IP of game and someone tried to make the same exact thing and make a profit off it.

Hey man i'm just trying to help. I really don't think you know what you are getting yourself into.

OK, so by your reasoning, I can make the same game as Battlefield 3 and call it Turd Shooter Extreme and EA has no grounds to sue me for IP infringement?

OK, so by your reasoning, I can make the same game as Battlefield 3 and call it Turd Shooter Extreme and EA has no grounds to sue me for IP infringement?
Well you see, the funny thing is, it's not IP infringement until it, you know, infringes on the IP.

Pretty sure that the Tribes IP doesn't contain jetpacks or skiing.

If you're planning on doing what I think you are, then jetpacks won't be the only thing similar to the Tribes IP.

They will not only cry, they will bring you to court and, even if they don't win, they'll exhaust your capital resources.

At least that's what I'd do if I owned the IP of game and someone tried to make the same exact thing and make a profit off it.

Hey man i'm just trying to help. I really don't think you know what you are getting yourself into.

What about Legions Overdrive? I think they plan on selling it once out of beta.

I like how once lee provided proof he has a working proof of concept, everyone jumps on the IP bandwagon to derail him there.

The only IP issue I see is ... well, nothing. Jetpacks, terrain, classes, it's all standard fare in a FPS.

The only reason anyone is playing Legions right now (if there is any) is because it is free. They'll be lucky to get a dozen or so people to actually buy a copy if they do plan on selling. But that being said, they were smart enough to stay away from the Tribes IP stuff:

Legions: Overdrive • Frequently Asked Questions

For those of you who aren't familiar with what is in IP, you should probably read up on it Intellectual property - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...it involves more than just the name. I don't know what specifics are in the Tribes IP and I imagine there are only a handful or less who actually post on TW that do know. And I doubt they are going to list each item for you.

You know, I spent really way too much time arguing about something I really don't give two shits about...like I said good luck. I'll be happy to bump this thread in three years and have a good laugh.

I like how once lee provided proof he has a working proof of concept, everyone jumps on the IP bandwagon to derail him there.

The only IP issue I see is ... well, nothing. Jetpacks, terrain, classes, it's all standard fare in a FPS.

Please tell me oh gracious and powerful Nofix, what is in the Tribes IP. Please list in entirety.

Actually, ChewSpitt is right, as much as it is loathsome this is actually what IP represents: a way to stifle competition and protect monopolies.

Add to the facts that the VP of Hi-Rez is in the Georgia House of Representatives, and you can see they've got some influence on their side.

Recently a company registered the name 'Tower Defence' as IP - something that has now been around for years in several mods and games, and is actually a genre, not a game. People with the name 'tower defence' in their title were sent letters or e-mails by their lawyers to cease using the term.

Just showing you how low people will go and just how nasty rotten little eggs some of them really are. If Hi-Rez did the same thing, do yourself a favor and don't be surprised by it.

this IP argument is retarded... games are constantly cloned and no one ever sues. why? because they cant and no game ideas are ever original anyway.... this includes tribes.

Actually, ChewSpitt is right, as much as it is loathsome this is actually what IP represents: a way to stifle competition and protect monopolies.

Add to the facts that the VP of Hi-Rez is in the Georgia House of Representatives, and you can see they've got some influence on their side.

Recently a company registered the name 'Tower Defence' as IP - something that has now been around for years in several mods and games, and is actually a genre, not a game. People with the name 'tower defence' in their title were sent letters or e-mails by their lawyers to cease using the term.

Just showing you how low people will go and just how nasty rotten little eggs some of them really are. If Hi-Rez did the same thing, do yourself a favor and don't be surprised by it.

ok, ill call it tower defense then :D

anyway, you're arguing a trademark which is completely different.

trademark

and ill my next TD game turret defense (it actually makes more sense, towers by definition are just tall buildings and not offensive structures)

No, you're right. IP != Trademark. So basically, they have the right to use the Tribes name.

I'm not sure I want those people shitting all over it.

Please tell me oh gracious and powerful Nofix, what is in the Tribes IP. Please list in entirety.

His game can have everything Tribes has you fucking dolt. T:V proved this. Just because it has skiing, jetpacks and disk launchers doesn't make it TRIBES.

However, that's not the point. Lee isn't going to copy and paste the Tribes IP into a different engine. He's posting proof of concept work you fucking dolt. Place-holder material for when his game starts to materialize. Just like Legends, just like Legions, just like Tribalwars, etc. You fucking dumbfuck.

His game can have everything Tribes has you fucking dolt. T:V proved this. Just because it has skiing, jetpacks and disk launchers doesn't make it TRIBES.

However, that's not the point. Lee isn't going to copy and paste the Tribes IP into a different engine. He's posting proof of concept work you fucking dolt. Place-holder material for when his game starts to materialize.

How was T:V not apart of the Tribes IP or are you saying that it didn't feel Tribes-like? Is that what you're getting at, because if that is the case then you're arguing apples and oranges.

I see the placeholders and that's what I'm talking about. All it takes is one forgotten "place holder" to have a case. Please tell me I'm wrong...please, please tell me I'm wrong.

Just like Legends, just like Legions, just like Tribalwars, etc. You fucking dumbfuck.

Which one of these projects have made a profit or have even tried to make a profit? Dumfuck.

Back