Anyone ever done a custom(or owner built) home? by Phantred - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Anyone ever done a custom(or owner built) home?
Page 1 of 2
Phantred
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 04-17-2011, 17:42
I'm interested in having my next home designed\built to my specs instead of just buying one. I know you can go to a 'name brand' home builder and have it done, and you can 'be your own builder' sort of thing... Anyone already been through the process and have some tips?

I've got a master designer that owes me some money I doubt I'm going to see until the economy is blowing and going again, so I'm hoping just to squeeze the design work out of him in trade on the debt.

Sponsored Links
Redz15
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 04-17-2011, 17:44
dont settle

Boomerman
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 04-17-2011, 18:00
There are plenty of small custom builders that you can go with. I spec drawings and work for these sorts of guys regularly. Interview a few, ask to see examples of work they have done, make sure that you have a fairly good rapport. (you don't have to be pals but a similar disposition will make your life MUCH easier)

Plan your budget and STICK to it. I would not go into this appointing yourself as the general contractor if you have not built a home before. It can be done but you are gonna knock a few years off of your life with the stress you will endure.

When you say master designer do you mean an architect? You can draw up all the pretty pictures you want but without an architect or engineers stamp they are worthless and those stamps are what cost the bucks.

When you say your specs what unique things are you looking for? Many custom builders offer pretty much anything you can dream up as an option if you are willing to pay for it of course. You might find that your dream home is actually fairly standard once you talk to a few builders.

pbplayer
VeteranX
Old
4 - 04-17-2011, 18:05
if the designer thinks something is a bad idea as far as layout or design goes, listen to his advice. something awesome in your head might be a pile of **** trying to live in unless you have seen something similar in real life.

crashmaster4000
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 04-17-2011, 18:05
I did this a few years ago, from picking out the land to designing the floorplan and really enjoyed the whole process. Everything is the way I wanted it to be, colored the way I like, and I feel like it's my "home" not some cookie-cutter house in an addition...

Yeah, there were a few bumps in the road and it did cost more, but looking back, I'm glad I did it this way.

crash

Phantred
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 04-17-2011, 18:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerman View Post
There are plenty of small custom builders that you can go with. I spec drawings and work for these sorts of guys regularly. Interview a few, ask to see examples of work they have done, make sure that you have a fairly good rapport. (you don't have to be pals but a similar disposition will make your life MUCH easier)

Plan your budget and STICK to it. I would not go into this appointing yourself as the general contractor if you have not built a home before. It can be done but you are gonna knock a few years off of your life with the stress you will endure.

When you say master designer do you mean an architect? You can draw up all the pretty pictures you want but without an architect or engineers stamp they are worthless and those stamps are what cost the bucks.

When you say your specs what unique things are you looking for? Many custom builders offer pretty much anything you can dream up as an option if you are willing to pay for it of course. You might find that your dream home is actually fairly standard once you talk to a few builders.
Yeah, he's an architect. The only reason I really want to go with him(besides that I know him\like his work and what not) is that I can probably get work he would have charged 20-30k for the 15 he owes me. I doubt another designer couldn't do the same thing for the same or less money, but I've basically already spent it with him

Thanks for the tips, it sounds like I do want to stay away from being my own contractor.

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 04-17-2011, 18:56
i have a master debater that owes me some money but he's not going to build me a house

T@rget
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
8 - 04-17-2011, 19:03
I'm in the process of having my home built now. I subbed out parts of it myself, architect, foundation, site work, well installation, and flat work then used a general contractor for most. Every piece you feel comfortable finding subs yourself can save you a ton of money.

For example, the general contractor wanted $3,500 to pour the garage floor. I called up the same person that was going to do the work and he wanted $2300 if I paid him directly.

I'm currently about to start priming my plaster. General Contractor wanted $3,250. Plasterer wanted $2300 if I paid him directly. I'll end up doing it myself for cheaper.

Even having a GC, I have to be there every day to make sure stuff is being done correctly.

If you go with a GC, get the most detailed specific contract you can write up. I've had to revert back to mine a few times when they tried to cut corners.

Last edited by T@rget; 04-17-2011 at 19:05..
amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 04-17-2011, 19:07
If you're having to supervise your general contractor to make sure stuff is getting done right, you hired a ****ty general contractor.

Common mistake because people tend to pick the cheapest mother ****ers that come along.

T@rget
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
10 - 04-17-2011, 19:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by amRam View Post
If you're having to supervise your general contractor to make sure stuff is getting done right, you hired a ****ty general contractor.

Common mistake because people tend to pick the cheapest mother ****ers that come along.
I'm picky

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 04-17-2011, 19:13
Nah, you have a ****ty contractor.

Phantred
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 04-17-2011, 19:13
Picking a GC sounds tough, and a huge deal

would it be crazy to demand some sort of cost disclosure and pay a set markup, or a flat fee for the GC to avoid being raped like that?

Mangle-Me-Elmo
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 04-17-2011, 19:14
buy a fence or all the little kids will descend upon theplace and steal **** while it's under construction and build horrifyingly unsafe tree forts

be careful with the fence bc we totally stole a good portion of one of those once too

Phantred
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 04-17-2011, 19:17
Gonna be a little off the beaten path, I need a few acres and in town would be millions for the land.

Ball'n on a budget here.

Dai Shinzo
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 04-17-2011, 19:17
There are so many scam artist GC and non major builders I'd be wary about going with someone who isn't highly reputable or known personally.

T@rget
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
16 - 04-17-2011, 19:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Shinzo View Post
There are so many scam artist GC and non major builders I'd be wary about going with someone who isn't highly reputable or known personally.
Ask to see their work. My GC built a few of my family's homes and a few other big homes around here.

I suggest seeing more than one house they've built. Depending how big the GC operation is, the GC can have multiple crews working for them (several framing crews for example). Not every crew is the best.

TechnoDonut
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
17 - 04-17-2011, 19:25
Amazing House Designs That Get You Close To Nature | greenUPGRADER

Build something like one of those

ICMeltdown
VeteranX
Old
18 - 04-17-2011, 19:28
I'm working on plans for a custom 2-bdrm bungalow right now. One of our engineers at work is also a certified architect, I'm planning on having him do the actual building plans.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
19 - 04-17-2011, 19:31
go out to the house a few times a week unscheduled to check on it

Where are you going to live?
For 10k more, any house can survive a hurricane

ask to have 6 nails put down on your roof per shingle, rather than 4. Minor expense, will save you in the long run. Contractors, even legit ones, like to make as much profit as possible. That may mean charging for x and getting y if you can't tell the difference. Carpets, tiles, wood floors and doors are easy to fake.

If you don't mind a metal roof, get it. ****'s mad money bro. Depending on your insurance company, you can save a lot of premium dollars too with a metal roof and some policy provisions.

Togowack
VeteranXV
Old
20 - 04-17-2011, 19:34
ICFire you have a job?

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Anyone ever done a custom(or owner built) home?

Social Website Bullshit