let's talk about stuffed pasta

SkivviS

Veteran X
what are my options if i want to make my own stuffed pastas like ravioli?
especially if im not making my own pasta sheets...because ive never done it and i dont know if i have the right materials

i'd say your equipment is more important than materials. the materials for fresh pasta is basically just eggs and flour, maybe some water/salt, i dunno

equipment would be like a pasta roller, although you could probably just use a rolling pin and cut to size after your fresh pasta dough is ready

your options for filling are really endless. multi-cheese fillings, of course. meats like ground beef/lamb/whatever shit you are doing. veggies like butternut squash fillings, mushroom stuff, some kind of bell pepper shit, i dunno. seafood fillings like shrimp or mashed white fish

you can combine those w/ any kind of sauces. brown butter sauces, alfredo, cream sauces, regular marinara

i'd say for making your own ravioli style pastas, more important would be to just not overstuff your pasta than what you really put in it

i've never really looked for it, so i dunno how many places would sell just sheets of unstuffed pasta that is already prepared and rdy to stuff. if you're willing to make your own stuffings, i'd honestly just think it'd be worth making your own pasta. you really just need the flour/eggs and a place to combine it by hand on a counter. then just roll it out

my old lady made a stuffed pasta dish the other night but used wonton wrappers instead of pasta

it was a disaster

the stuffing was awesome (goat cheese + mozzarella + herbs + prosciutto) but the wonton wrappers were soggy and half of them exploded in the water

fail

i've never really looked for it, so i dunno how many places would sell just sheets of unstuffed pasta that is already prepared and rdy to stuff. if you're willing to make your own stuffings, i'd honestly just think it'd be worth making your own pasta. you really just need the flour/eggs and a place to combine it by hand on a counter. then just roll it out

yeah im not worried about making the stuffings, that's easy street.
really what i want is sheets of pasta i can fill and cut myself i guess

ive used wonton wrappers for this

if you overcook them they will have the texture of wet toilet paper, otherwise they're fine if you don't feel like making sheets of pasta

what did you use to bind the sheets together? water? thats what she used.

she gave it 15 minutes of dry time too but a lot of them just exploded in the water

yea i just used water

also two things to try next time:

dont dry them, because it makes it easier for them to crack and open up in the water, and don't put them into BOILING water. put them in slowly simmering water. they'll still cook fine but won't explode as easily.

Back