Veal cutlets

Paladin-5

Veteran XX
I've never cooked veal before, but have a couple cutlets to cook tonight.
I'm going to google for some recipes later, but was wondering if anyone had a killer style/ method to make the veal shine.

Thoughts?

Pound out the cutles to tenderize them. If there big obviously butter fly them prior. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season cutlets with salt and pepper, dredge them in beaten eggs and then coat evenly with the bread crumbs that have been combined with flour.(*** Normally a traditional english breading would be flour - egg- then bread crumbs, but I was told by a german chef that skipping the flour and going right to egg - bread crumbs/flour gets a more authentic texture. Ive use it ever since on this dish and i must say it works for me***). Place cutlets into skillet and fry until golden brown (1-2 minutes on each side); do NOT turn more than once as you will end up losing the coating if you turn too often. Remove the meat from the skillet and drain on paper towels; keep the meat warm in the oven while you make the gravy.
If you like this i can give you a recipie for gravy

I have to admit, this is the first time I've actually bought veal. I used to be one of those anti-veal people, would never order it/ eat it.
However now I just say fuck it.

4oz lardon or 4 slices of bacon (diced)
1/2 onion (diced)
16 oz mushrooms (sliced)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup stock( Veal if you have or demi) but beef is ok
1/2 cup dry wine
2 sprigs of fresh type or 1 tbs dried
pepper
salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp sour cream
Sauté bacon and onions until golden brown. Add tomato paste and mushrooms, and sauté over a low heat. Add wine, water and seasonings; let simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Pour over Schnitzel just before serving.

i pretty much only hear about people breading and frying veal

isn't there some other way to enjoy it? i mean isn't the point of eating a baby cow that the meat is like super tender or flavorful or something? then why fry it up like a piece of chicken

i mean isn't the point of eating a baby cow that the meat is like super tender or flavorful or something? then why fry it up like a piece of chicken

It goes tough very quickly, it is also mildly flavoured unlike an older cut of meat. Its easiest to pound it out thin, bread and fry it so that it doest become a piece of leather. Alternatively, mince or dice it into a ragu or stew and its also very nice.

Last edited:
4oz lardon or 4 slices of bacon (diced)
1/2 onion (diced)
16 oz mushrooms (sliced)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup stock( Veal if you have or demi) but beef is ok
1/2 cup dry wine
2 sprigs of fresh type or 1 tbs dried
pepper
salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp sour cream
Sauté bacon and onions until golden brown. Add tomato paste and mushrooms, and sauté over a low heat. Add wine, water and seasonings; let simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Pour over Schnitzel just before serving.

Awesome, thank you

i pretty much only hear about people breading and frying veal

isn't there some other way to enjoy it? i mean isn't the point of eating a baby cow that the meat is like super tender or flavorful or something? then why fry it up like a piece of chicken

veal meatloaf is absurdly delicious

make jagersnitzel with a nice hunter sauce and a warm potato salad or speazel

jägerschitzel is usually a pork dish. wienerschitzel is the traditional veal dish. and jägersosse or hunter sauce is good but any good gravy would do...and spätzle in my book is a necessity for this dish.

Back