Reload this Page Web Developers
Page 4 of 5
Urraca
VeteranXX
Old
61 - 01-14-2010, 12:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox.enD View Post
when i found out google used python, i was pissed.

i hate python, how dare an organization like google further the idea that python is a good language, at any level.

i'm convinced the people who designed that pathetic excuse of a 'programming language' are ****ing retarded.
You know that MIT just made Python their standard programming language for their entire CS curriculum, right?

Sponsored Links
Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
62 - 01-14-2010, 12:49
thats awesome. we're going to have some real pro programmers in the next 10 years.

-Bane
VeteranXV
Old
63 - 01-14-2010, 12:49
Quote:
my issue with teh white space isn't so much designign a program as one person and making those kinds of mistakes.

my issue is with a real development environment. different text editors/IDE's use different spacing as 'tab', which is how most people use whitespace like that. which means if you use one editor and tab = 5 spaces, and i use another where tab = 4 spaces, then i can't work on your goddamn file without hitting the space bar. and its retarded that it even ****ing matters.

there are definatly ways around that, or to 'fix it', but it shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

btw - we've had this conversation before.
M-x tabify/untabify

But it does suck if you're maintaining someone else's code and they use a different practice than your preference - in other languages it's merely a cosmetic annoyance. But that's the game when it comes to other's code -- some intern did his senior project at this place I used to work. Named every variable out of a comic book, ex for(spiderman = 0; spiderman < superman; ++spiderman) [he also loved useless optimizing, hence ++x over x++]. No one noticed until after he left and someone wanted something changed

Last edited by -Bane; 01-14-2010 at 12:52..
Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
64 - 01-14-2010, 12:51
yeah. you know what else is anoying? when people put the { on the same line as the function def.

garbage practices.

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
65 - 01-14-2010, 14:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
That's simply not true, as evidenced by the serious, high volume apps that I mentioned above (facebook, digg, yahoo, etc.). I was trying to relate to why he may have the opinion that most "real work" is done in Java/C#. I'm really not trying to get into a 'my language is better than yours' geek off, I just don't understand how someone who should know better would say nothing big is done in PHP.

In fact, upon further research. Google uses Python extensively combined with their own database structure called "BigTable".
Python is quite powerful, easy to learn, and there's a reason it's used by Google and MIT. It's also quite extensible - I use Jython, the Java implementation of Python, as the scripting language for all my WebLogic stuff.

Look, I know there's some big players using PHP. Let me restate myself. Most high-volume big-player web dev work is done in Java and .NET. Sure, PHP is a player - but going by volume alone, in terms of how many bytes is shipped around the internet by a given language, Java and .NET are the most popular.

Shoddy
VeteranX
Old
66 - 01-14-2010, 14:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Bane View Post
[he also loved useless optimizing, hence ++x over x++]
That might not have been for optimization. Having had some assembler exposure before C, it always seemed more natural to me to express "increment x" as ++x rather than x++.

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
67 - 01-14-2010, 14:53
++x and x++ are not the same thing (in most languages)

its not a matter of preference

one is preincrement one is postincrement.

Last edited by Detox.enD; 01-14-2010 at 14:56..
Shoddy
VeteranX
Old
68 - 01-14-2010, 14:58
In many, many cases you aren't using the result, as in the for loop of the post I was responding to.

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
69 - 01-14-2010, 15:03
i'm just pointing out that it doesn't matter what is natural for you when you say 'increment x'.

they do different things.

Shoddy
VeteranX
Old
70 - 01-14-2010, 15:04
Ok sport. Carry on.

Zanthious
Tribalwar Admin
Old
71 - 01-14-2010, 15:06
Quote:
yeah. you know what else is anoying? when people put the { on the same line as the function def.

garbage practices.

haha that **** makes it soo ****ing ****ty to debug.

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
72 - 01-14-2010, 15:07
its the main reason i have javascript.

most anoying language to work with other people's code. i think its the 'standard' for js...

Fat Steve
Veteran5
Old
73 - 01-14-2010, 15:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_skul View Post
All serious, high volume web dev for apps is done in two languages: .NET and Java. You can **** with PHP, ruby, or whatever other language-of-the-week that's popular in the tech schools (Scheme, anyone? No? How about tcl/tk?), but at the end of the day, if you're doing serious work, it's in C# or Java.

jsut
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
74 - 01-14-2010, 15:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falhawk View Post
you know what the most important technology to know is?

Spoiler
That is indeed the only reason anyone knows ColdFusion

Monkey_b
VeteranX
Old
75 - 01-14-2010, 16:21
Quote:
its the main reason i have javascript.

most anoying language to work with other people's code. i think its the 'standard' for js...
javascript is very amorphous and can be utilized in soooo many different ways that it's ridiculous, but it can also be used quite eloquently and since it's the only language that browsers allow you to use for interacting with the DOM, it's not going anywhere... i've used it for so long that i'm very fond of it now and would feel bad if they replaced it :\

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
76 - 01-14-2010, 16:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_b View Post
javascript is very amorphous and can be utilized in soooo many different ways that it's ridiculous, but it can also be used quite eloquently and since it's the only language that browsers allow you to use for interacting with the DOM, it's not going anywhere... i've used it for so long that i'm very fond of it now and would feel bad if they replaced it :\
i love javascripts. its incredibly useful.

i jus thate people that put { on the same line as their function definitions.

RogerWaters
VeteranXV
Old
77 - 01-14-2010, 16:23
f*cking love jquery

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
78 - 01-14-2010, 16:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWaters View Post
f*cking love jquery
thanks Fngr

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
79 - 01-14-2010, 16:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Steve View Post
I love how all the tech school kids come crawling out of the woodwork when their language of the week is threatened.

:wah:

RogerWaters
VeteranXV
Old
80 - 01-14-2010, 16:27
dont quite get the connection there...?

Page 4 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Web Developers

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
free ▀█▀ █ ▀█▀ ▄█▀ , php?