[DIY]Removing Old Hard Cock...

Wraithed

Veteran XX
I MEAN CAULK! :closet:

So today I took down the shitty sliding glass doors on my tub that never fucking worked right.

But there is some old really hard caulk left on the tile and the tub that my scraper doesn't do shit to. Admittedly my scraper is plastic, however I don't want to donwplay this caulk... it is OLD AND HARD and it looks something like this:

Old Hard Caulk

Anyway... any advice from all you DIYers out there would be appreciated thanks!

Spoiler

Last edited:
theres wire brushes you can buy for this. i am currently re-painting the house and i had to do a lot of scraping of old caulk and applying new caulk.

i really laid down some fat caulk on that house

edit: after reading that the scraper doesnt work, i dont know what to tell you. try using the sharp end at the tip of a brush like this:

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/wire_brush_with_scraper_300.jpg

So you are saying metal won't hurt the tile or the tub then?

Standard shitty tub and tile.

A boxcutter will take out caulk of most any kind quickly, and as a bonus you can hijack an airliner with it and crash it into famous buildings.

I use a razorblade. I'm going to have to recaulk my gf's shower this upcoming weekend :(

So you are saying metal won't hurt the tile or the tub then?

Standard shitty tub and tile.

dont have any experience with removing caulk indoors. however i cant imagine it doing too much damage aside from maybe a small scratch which if it's a shitty tub it wouldnt matter anyways. that tool on the end of the brush is meant for removing shit like that though

Go to the store and get a METAL Stiff Blade Scraper. The key is to keep it sharp when it dulls. It's really the best way. Don't worry about hurting the finish underneath. Won't scratch tile, tub plastic, or steel. If it's not completely dry and chipping up, go get some Silicone hardener from the nearest paint store that doesn't suck. Just a liquid that dries out the existing caulk to the point of making it extremely brittle. Doesn't matter if the caulk isn't silicone - as long as it's a siliconized acrylic. Go nutty with the scraper. Done it more times than I can count.

i have to do this to my sliding doors too actually...there's also some grout missing along the edge of the tub and tile and it's getting kind of gross with build-up and such. is it hard to redo the grout?

00001668.jpg

+
steady hand

grout is super easy to do

I graduated from Sherwin-Williams University with a major in caulk. Jesus my company can be gay.

Back