Feed Mah!

Tankspot also discusses this. Blood and Glory is > than Quel. When the proc is active, it is a beast of a weapon. It is active 75% of the time.

The consistency of the other weapons are better for a tank, as consistently tanking is pretty important in tanking. When the proc is inactive, you lose too much. I don't even play a protadin (though I used to play a prot warrior as you know).

So the answer is no, it's not BiS for many tanks out there. The theorycrafting says with Seal of Corruption, it's an 75-80% proc rate, which, while nice, you don't have any avoidance from weapons during the downtimes. You also don't receive the other buffs during down time. This is why a quick read at EJ/Tankspot for your particular class and spec benefits you. You don't need to do the research yourself. The sooner you learn this, the less threads you make, and the less you think others troll you.

EJ forums aren't always sound advice though, I know the priest forum is a fucking trainwreck of misinformation for all 3 specs.

For tanking information go to tankspot or if it's still up, maintankadin.com. If you're a total math nerd you can go to EJ and read up what the turbo nerds figured out on their graphing calculators and spreadsheets. Personally I'd rather play the game and develop my own conclusions through trial and error, and common sense tells me that if another item of similar ilevel that has better stats (passive def/block/parry/dodge and str or agi) than a weapon with nothing but stam and a proc that's up 30-50% of the time you're tanking that I'm going to use the weapon that's better 50-70% of the time.

Considering how you talk in these forums, one can assume that whatever weapon you have that has the highest ilevel should be your tanking weapon of choice. That weapon won't be horrible, but besides the proc it only has stamina so you get better tanking stats on many others. I personally use the togc10 sword from Anub on one toon and the normal toc10 anub sword on another but one is a mining alt and the other is ret mainspec so either way they don't get much use.

EJ is hit or miss, too often people have all their experience from 5 man heroics start giving advice, then you get the next 5 pages of thread having people explaining to them why they are wrong.

Tankspot also discusses this. Blood and Glory is > than Quel. When the proc is active, it is a beast of a weapon. It is active 75% of the time.

The consistency of the other weapons are better for a tank, as consistently tanking is pretty important in tanking. When the proc is inactive, you lose too much. I don't even play a protadin (though I used to play a prot warrior as you know).

So the answer is no, it's not BiS for many tanks out there. The theorycrafting says with Seal of Corruption, it's an 75-80% proc rate, which, while nice, you don't have any avoidance from weapons during the downtimes. You also don't receive the other buffs during down time. This is why a quick read at EJ/Tankspot for your particular class and spec benefits you. You don't need to do the research yourself. The sooner you learn this, the less threads you make, and the less you think others troll you.

Across both EJ and tankspot the proc uptime can't even be agreed on, not even enough to get a narrow range. Some claim up to 85% and others claim lower than 30%. I suspect this is based on how much you can hit the target. Warriors more or less can hit Revenge almost all the time as soon as its CD is up, and that adds into any other instant weapon abilities on top of it's normal swing. I know DKs have more than a few similar abilites (usually the Strike abilities I think). So I I suspect the ones who are 40% or more uptime are probably those classes, and probably gives you more hits in the same timeframe whan a paladin even if you factor in SoC procs.

Then again my coworker and I constantly frequent alt-pugs with people from the #2 Horde guild on our realm, and one of the tanking warriors is looking for the chest off Auriaya-25 because he needs it for sheer avoidance for GC Anub-25. He also said there's a drop off Max in Naxx-25 that is still best in terms of avoidance.

Doesn't matter, each tanking class tanks differently and even then you have people who disagree on shit. I remember some tankadins claiming Argent Defender is a waste on grounds if your healers let you go below 35% they are bad. My stance is you never know, there could be a lag spike on the server's end or your end or your healer's end. So much so you could go from 90% to 4% in blink of an eye, and it can simply save your life and give healers time to recoup. And even if you stack avoidance it's hard to forgo stamina enchants/gems to get that since a lot of people measure overall health now, even since Hodir-25 give frozen blows upwards of 42K damage.

As for the Quel'Serrar, I never thought it was best in slot and even though the proc is nice, it is a proc. It's super effective when it's up, but what about the times it is NOT up? I prefer to think about more reliable stats that are there all the time, because it's possible with the Quel'Serrar your proc could fade and then you get hit a fuckton harder because that avoidance is now gone, if only for a second or two.

And I don't read too much into the troll bait. I posed a simple question without my usual stance of knowing it already. Those who answered directly and honestly, they answered the question and said nothing more. People like Terra, on the other hand, just had to avoid the question and get on the "Feannag is a baddie" bandwagon. You couldn't help it, you just had to bite the bait...

I'm a little surprised EJ has as much misinformation as DR claimed, I was under the impression they were such nazis they were quick to ban people who post information that hasn't been established with an extensive spreadsheet or testing.

And making excuses for being lazy? A lot of people don't even bother going beyond some facts and hearsay from other players much less looking for websites for information to play the game better. How is that lazy?

Case in point : You can call me bad and terrible, and I may not be as "good" as some people here. But I can assure you there are a lot more terrible people out there in all three roles than I could ever be.

Considering how you talk in these forums, one can assume that whatever weapon you have that has the highest ilevel should be your tanking weapon of choice. That weapon won't be horrible, but besides the proc it only has stamina so you get better tanking stats on many others. I personally use the togc10 sword from Anub on one toon and the normal toc10 anub sword on another but one is a mining alt and the other is ret mainspec so either way they don't get much use.

To be fair, if that was the case I would have rolled on the 245-Quel-Serrar but I didn't feel it was so much of an upgrade than what I currently have (Last Laugh with +20 Str on it) and I don't believe in relying on unreliable things like procs to save me/the raid in case of a network hiccup or misstep.

To date the only time a Titanguard dropped for me in FL-25 I was with StK, and Adren took it as part of the loot council decision. The next logic step is the Ardent Guard, and I have yet to see that drop period. Aside from that there's Blood and Glory, and any ToGC pugs I get into have yet to down the Beasts and regardless I don't think I have enough pure mitigation to handle Anub anyway.

So I suppose I'll wait until ICC and see what tanking weapons drop there. Gonna have to prep an enchant scroll anyway, probably Accuracy now that abyss crystals aren't a complete enema...

Last edited:
I thought I told you to stop reading too much in to it?

Please don't have a nervous breakdown. I'd seriously miss you.

My issue with EJ is the Where's Waldo style of hidden information amongst 100s of pages of ranting, raving and inane questions.

They used to be really good about the thread starters updating all pertinent info onto the front page but that trend seems to have died out.

I don't play every character, but I assume EJ has all of the pertinent information. It may not be summarized, and you may need to spend some time, but it isn't that much time.

I don't go to EJ looking for precise rotations or a "how to play your class" thread. I go there to see the number crunching that people with a lot of time do. It helps you dissect items in a way and gives you firm, updated numbers, on cap rates, such as the recently changed ArP or other caps like hit and expertise.

The numbers I pulled from Tankspot are from a tankadin using it in actual play and recording those numbers. I don't imagine he'd embellish them, as the person in question has all 3 weapons.

I thought I told you to stop reading too much in to it?

Please don't have a nervous breakdown. I'd seriously miss you.

lol, I'm not I'm just amused you took the bait readily and simply backtracking with the "thinking too much" ploy. I'd like to think you could better than that.

lol, I'm not I'm just amused you took the bait readily and simply backtracking with the "thinking too much" ploy. I'd like to think you could better than that.

Why are you doing these mental gymnastics in your head into thinking that you have somehow fooled me or people have fallen in to your "bait?"

I simply said that you are dumb because of your surroundings. This is a forum. People voice their thoughts and opinions. This isn't a book where you write us 500 pages and we don't reply. You say what is on your mind, we tell you why you're wrong. You, yourself, even told us that you are used to this previously.

I'm not replying to your posts because you are some genius mastermind that baited me into reply, but simply because this is a forum where people reply back and forth. Like I said, stop reading too much into it. You're starting to look like an idiot again.

P.S. OMG I CALLED YOU AN IDIOT. I BIT ON YOUR BAIT BY MAKING FUN OF YOU.
P.S.S. Would you like to xfer to my server and healbot me in MC/BWL?

maintankadin has very good gear lists, the list they have will sometimes show 5 items ranked at a single spot because the stats are very close. Ranking tanking gear needs lists like that because it isn't a matter of just looking at overall DPS the item represents, you need to look at the stam, strength, threat per second, and not just avoidance but what type of avoidance you get from a item to balance out with the other gear you have.

I actually enjoyed having several sets of gear for different situations in tanking, with TBC you had to do more balancing because we needed gear with spell power, so I would have sets for AOE tanking with higher spell power, more block but lower in other stats, I even had one setup in Outfitter that was just for AOE tanking the hawks in the one ZA boss fight.

Maintankadin has the epic tanking weapons for palys listed like this.

1. [Orgrim's Deflector] (Heroic)/[Silverwing Defender] (Heroic) - Trial25 (Heroic) Tribute Chest (A Tribute to Skill)
2. [Blood and Glory] (Heroic)/[Honor of the Fallen] (Heroic) - Trial10 (Heroic) Tribute Chest (A Tribute to Skill)
2. [Ardent Guard] (Heroic)/[Crusader's Glory] (Heroic) - Trial10 (Heroic), Anub'arak
3. [Sorthalis, Hammer of the Watchers] - Ulduar25, XT-002 (Hard Mode)
3. [Shiver] - Ulduar10, Hodir (Hard mode)
3. [Burnished Quel'Serrar] - Onyxia25
4. [Ardent Guard]/[Crusader's Glory] - Trial10, Anub'arak
4. [Titanguard] - Ulduar25, Flame Leviathan
4. [Gleaming Quel'Serrar] - Onyxia10
5. [Last Laugh] - Naxx25, Kel'Thuzad
5. [Broken Promise] - Naxx25, 4H
6. [Legacy of Thunder] - Ulduar10, Thorim
6. [Stoneguard] - Ulduar10, Kologarn
6. [Peacekeeper Blade] - Trial of the Champion (Heroic), Argent Confessor Paletress
7. [Axe of the Sen'Jin Protector]/[Teldrassil Protector] - Argent Tournament, 25 [Champion's Seal]
7. [Slayer of the Lifeless] - Naxx10, Gothik/Gluth
7. [Red Sword of Courage] - King Ymiron, Utgarde Pinnace (Heroic)

Full thread here with wowhead links for all items.
Maintankadin • View topic - Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Back