Reload this Page Bye Bye Mark!
Shadow13
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
1 - 06-24-2009, 13:02
Mark Jacobs has left the EA building

Quote:
Mythic Entertainment studio head, Mark Jacobs, has left the building.

The lead designer of Warhammer Online and EA have mutually agreed to separate.

The official website will have an announcement soon, and I will update this post accordingly.

I unfortunately am unable to give my usual color commentary, because at Mark's request, Mythic and I mutually agreed to separate several years ago.
Andy, from Mythic stated there will be a press release tomorrow. What I find funny about Sanya's blog entry is the line I bolded. She makes it sound like basically Mark fired her.

But yea, **** Mark Jacobs, that dood was a disaster in beta, he was a disaster at launch and I am glad he is gone. I don't play warhammer anymore but I hope the game improves because I love the IP. I would come back in a heart beat if they improved on a lot of what I hated about the game. Since dealing with Mark multiple times he was one of the things I really hated =P

Sponsored Links
Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
2 - 06-24-2009, 15:02
Sanya interview after she 'left' Mythic

WarCry Network : Sanya Thomas Leaves EA Mythic: Exclusive Exit Interview

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
3 - 06-24-2009, 16:16
I still play, On Iron Rock, all of order was in Land of the Dead yesterday since it just opened and we won early access. Destro sieged Altdorf 2 times due to this.

They tried to siege 3 forts at basically the same time, but we had 2 groups of defenders compared to their 1-2 WB's. We stopped them at the Reik fort, barely. And then stopped them at Stonewatch. I can't tell you how much reknown and loot we got. I got my WP geared up finally.

Slobax
VeteranX
Old
4 - 06-24-2009, 16:49
**** the Mark Jacobs haters.

He gave us DAoC and helped shape the entire damn genre. I'll miss him, even if he was stubborn and need PR tutoring.

Shadow13
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
5 - 06-24-2009, 16:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobax View Post
**** the Mark Jacobs haters.

He gave us DAoC and helped shape the entire damn genre. I'll miss him, even if he was stubborn and need PR tutoring.
He didn't "give us" daoc, and as a matter of fact the majority of the early content for toa was driven by him, and his "vision" for what DAoC should have been.

He and Adam ruined WAR, they ruined a big portion of DAoC and for that, I hope he finds himself having to find another industry to work in. He was known for being a liar to the player base, ignoring the real problems and pushing for content releases to hide the glaring problems from its users.

Ive dealt with him multiple times on a personal level through both beta's and the dood was the most pompous ass I have ever had conversations with, I am not "industry big wig", but my time spent with reading his dribble, trying to talk sense into him during betas and listening to him threaten people with bans I learned that the only thing the dood was good at was hype and being a prick.

Rurouni
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 06-24-2009, 18:38
good riddance

too late though

Oxyminoan
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 06-25-2009, 02:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow13 View Post
He didn't "give us" daoc, and as a matter of fact the majority of the early content for toa was driven by him, and his "vision" for what DAoC should have been.

He and Adam ruined WAR, they ruined a big portion of DAoC and for that, I hope he finds himself having to find another industry to work in. He was known for being a liar to the player base, ignoring the real problems and pushing for content releases to hide the glaring problems from its users.

Ive dealt with him multiple times on a personal level through both beta's and the dood was the most pompous ass I have ever had conversations with, I am not "industry big wig", but my time spent with reading his dribble, trying to talk sense into him during betas and listening to him threaten people with bans I learned that the only thing the dood was good at was hype and being a prick.
This. The way Beta was run was an absolute joke. The guy was an arrogant bully and the success of DAOC (the game was good enough to barely escape his bouts of incompetence) unfortunately gave him a false sense of justification for his idiotic design logic. I hope Adam Gershowitz, or whatever the **** his name is (WAR's Careers lead) is right behind him on the way out. That guy has no ****ing clue what he's doing...

Arrrrgh.

Signed: Angry DAOC player burnt by WAR way too many times.

Here's hoping Bioware can turn it around...though I doubt this move has come in time; especially considering the work on their Star Wars MMO.

ResolvE
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 06-28-2009, 21:45
Quote:
Mark Jacobs has left the EA building

Andy, from Mythic stated there will be a press release tomorrow. What I find funny about Sanya's blog entry is the line I bolded. She makes it sound like basically Mark fired her.

But yea, **** Mark Jacobs, that dood was a disaster in beta, he was a disaster at launch and I am glad he is gone. I don't play warhammer anymore but I hope the game improves because I love the IP. I would come back in a heart beat if they improved on a lot of what I hated about the game. Since dealing with Mark multiple times he was one of the things I really hated =P

if anything blame the bulll**** that war has become on EA not mark, he has done nothing but tried to fix the bull**** that EA has gotten mythic into i miss daoc

Last edited by ResolvE; 06-28-2009 at 21:51..
ResolvE
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 06-28-2009, 21:52
Quote:

i agree that his "vision of daoc, being toa" was a bit rough BUT i feel he rallied pretty hard onto fixing it with the classic servers and the cats/DR/lab expansions which put about 2-3 more years of solid core DAOC life into the series. I do think that TOA dealt quite a blow to daoc and that release daoc/SI were the best days to play the game **** i miss daoc so much.

Shadow13
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
11 - 06-29-2009, 01:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResolvE View Post
if anything blame the bulll**** that war has become on EA not mark, he has done nothing but tried to fix the bull**** that EA has gotten mythic into i miss daoc
EA? lol, you have no idea. EA had nothing to do with War's failures, it had nothing to do with ToA, nor with /20 all of which were complete failures. EA has nothing to do with this problem, this is all Mark, Adam and a couple others in Mythic. EA may be responsible for finally telling them "enough is enough, put the game out" but the fact remains War was in development long before EA stepped into the picture and they were failing with the development process before, during and after they were acquired.

Mark was the one who ignored beta testers, he was the one who took balance matrix off core testers who were using scripts/macros and he knew it. Mark was the one who banned anyone who questioned why certain issues were being purposely ignored in both beta's (both of which I was in since first or second phase).

Our guild leader was a long time real life friend of Mark's, even he used to ***** about how Mark was ruining great ideas people would bring to him with his desire to turn his games into cash cow rehashes of the popular mmo's at the time (ToA = EQ wannabe, WAR = WoW wanna be). There is more people to blame, Adam being one of them, but Mark was responsible for moving the Producer/Designer (who's name escapes me) off of daoc and taking over and putting out his dream child of ToA. Why do you think imperium was pve only? Because he was trying to mimic EQ with a new theme.

ResolvE
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 06-29-2009, 09:20
didnt EA push mark to code the expansion of war and not fix the patch as well as telling them to push war out early? Also I said I agree that mark is the reason Daoc suffered a huge hit with TOA but i thought he did a decent enough job at trying to save face with classic servers and the other expansions. ..

Shadow13
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
13 - 06-29-2009, 10:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResolvE View Post
didnt EA push mark to code the expansion of war and not fix the patch as well as telling them to push war out early? Also I said I agree that mark is the reason Daoc suffered a huge hit with TOA but i thought he did a decent enough job at trying to save face with classic servers and the other expansions. ..
Considering this is how Mythic has always operated I doubt EA had to do much pushing. EA isn't the devil. Numerous previous employees of mine from Sony work there. They love it. A lot has changed over there.

Now, for me to say they didn't push him at all would be an outright lie, because I don't know anyone who works directly at mythic anymore (the two guys I did know aren't there anymore) but I can tell you that this is the M.O. of Mark they didn't have to push very hard for him to do what he did with content instead of bug fix.

Last edited by Shadow13; 06-29-2009 at 10:58..

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Warhammer Online
Reload this Page Bye Bye Mark!

Social Website Bullshit