38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus" by Evil Engineer - Page 22 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"
Page 22 of 22
Inbred
VeteranXV
Old
421 - 01-26-2009, 18:52
Curt doesnt even play wow anymore, I dont think.
The World of Warcraft Armory

Damn lvl 70.

Sponsored Links
borlaK
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
422 - 01-26-2009, 19:56
anyone who decides to develop an MMO at this point has their head up their ass, no matter what superstar team they have. there have been several spinoff companies created by ex-blizzard ex-WoW developers that have failed miserably.

I've been playing MMOs before they were called MMOs, and let me tell you, after a while you begin to see the inherit problems with these games, the repetitiveness, and the fun factor goes out the window. WoW has basically everyone right now, hooked in tight. by the time the players have tired of WoW, they aren't going to want another MMO (especially a fantasy one)

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
423 - 01-26-2009, 20:14
theres also the whole thing about the economy going down the ****ter.

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
424 - 01-26-2009, 20:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by borlaK View Post
anyone who decides to develop an MMO at this point has their head up their ass, no matter what superstar team they have. there have been several spinoff companies created by ex-blizzard ex-WoW developers that have failed miserably.
Exactly

Everyone was very ambitious and excited about the upcoming MMOs for 2008, but look what happened. All of them, but maybe WAR failed miserably. Not even Lord British could make a new MMO people wanted to guy, and he is to MMOs as Carmack is to FPS.

TheAnk
VeteranXV
Old
425 - 01-26-2009, 21:42

Urshilikai
VeteranX
Old
426 - 01-26-2009, 22:01
It's mostly because developers aren't willing to take the chance with something new, combined with the fact that they try to be too different from wow in that it hinders functionality and simplicity.

There are things to learn from wow (simplicity/functionality lol) but if the developers could ****ing make a world for players, run by players, and have servers to hold a relatively large number of people in a relatively confined area, it could be very fun.

But for some reason people either take it to the extreme to be either JUST LIKE WOW or to be so different that it flops because of an unintuitive UI.

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
427 - 01-26-2009, 22:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urshilikai View Post
It's mostly because developers aren't willing to take the chance with something new, combined with the fact that they try to be too different from wow in that it hinders functionality and simplicity.

There are things to learn from wow (simplicity/functionality lol) but if the developers could ****ing make a world for players, run by players, and have servers to hold a relatively large number of people in a relatively confined area, it could be very fun.

But for some reason people either take it to the extreme to be either JUST LIKE WOW or to be so different that it flops because of an unintuitive UI.
Or the fact no matter what UI you use or graphics

every fantasy game will be "copying WoW"

Apeman
VeteranX
Old
428 - 01-26-2009, 22:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by borlaK View Post
by the time the players have tired of WoW, they aren't going to want another MMO (especially a fantasy one)
I'm tired of WoW, and I'm definitely ready for another fantasy MMO.

thereal Shaolinmonk
Veteran++
Old
429 - 01-26-2009, 22:43
try ddo

ZProtoss
10,000++
Old
430 - 01-26-2009, 22:54
I think the issue in MMO development right now are all the different benchmarks that have to be met so your game has a shot - In no particular order...

1.) Must have better graphics than WoW + still be able to run on most systems (this includes things like highly polished animations and so forth) - Better graphics are one of the main appeals to get people to switch games, but its troublesome to walk the tightrope of improved graphics versus being able to run on most systems.

2.) Must have enough content to keep both the casual player and semi-hardcore player entertained - Having content similar to WoW at its first launch is not enough

3.) Needs to be free of most major bugs and lag issues at release - first impressions are everything.

4.) In general the game can't just be as good as WoW or slightly better, it must be significantly better to give people motivation to switch.

The issue with all of this, is that creating an MMO that can fulfill all of these goals takes a lot of time. I believe WoW itself was in development for at least 5-6 years before its initial release, and even WoW had many flaws in the beginning that would be fatal to an MMO trying to match it now.

All that being said, creating an MMO that can grab significant market share is not impossible, but rather it's going to take a uniquely talented dev team, and (perhaps more importantly), financial investors who understand that rushing the game to market will not give them a bigger return on their investment.

uno
VeteranXX
Old
431 - 01-26-2009, 23:12
I just want to know if schill has played tribes 1 or 2

****in iPhone

Last edited by uno; 01-26-2009 at 23:27..
Apeman
VeteranX
Old
432 - 01-26-2009, 23:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereal Shaolinmonk View Post
try ddo
played the beta however long ago (for an hour or so)

will give it a trial. why not, i'm bored.

SirBatesAlot
VeteranX
Old
433 - 01-26-2009, 23:14
dayman uhhh ahhhhh
fighter of the nightman uhh ahhhh
champion of the sun uhh ahhhh
master of karate and friendship for everyone uhh ahhhh

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
434 - 01-27-2009, 02:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZProtoss View Post
I think the issue in MMO development right now are all the different benchmarks that have to be met so your game has a shot - In no particular order...

1.) Must have better graphics than WoW + still be able to run on most systems (this includes things like highly polished animations and so forth) - Better graphics are one of the main appeals to get people to switch games, but its troublesome to walk the tightrope of improved graphics versus being able to run on most systems.

2.) Must have enough content to keep both the casual player and semi-hardcore player entertained - Having content similar to WoW at its first launch is not enough

3.) Needs to be free of most major bugs and lag issues at release - first impressions are everything.

4.) In general the game can't just be as good as WoW or slightly better, it must be significantly better to give people motivation to switch.

The issue with all of this, is that creating an MMO that can fulfill all of these goals takes a lot of time. I believe WoW itself was in development for at least 5-6 years before its initial release, and even WoW had many flaws in the beginning that would be fatal to an MMO trying to match it now.

All that being said, creating an MMO that can grab significant market share is not impossible, but rather it's going to take a uniquely talented dev team, and (perhaps more importantly), financial investors who understand that rushing the game to market will not give them a bigger return on their investment.
you forgot the most important ingredient... that intangible essence / immersion that makes you fall in love with the game. the closet description would involve a combination of theme, polish, personality, mechanics, demographic appeal. its something that should be felt within every aspect of the game, including lore, graphics, audio, dialogue, etc.

wow has accomplished this to a limited degree. they also have an advantage in theme having nurtured the warcraft universe since warcraft1 (tolkien did the rest for them).

you could hire hundreds of the most talented programmers, artists, musicians... and still fail miserably at this most important component. and so far all signs surrounding this crapernicus project point in that direction.

for another mmo to topple wow or blizzards next project, it would take a steve jobs of mmos to accomplish... not far behind him to even make a successful one... and that isnt tard ****ting here lol.

as for other games, props to the lead nintendo designer for having "figured it out"

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
435 - 03-23-2009, 17:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrig38 View Post
Safe to say it'll go the Subscription route, as of now. If some new cool way to monetize comes out that reworks the entire system then maybe we'll use that.
It's more likely we'll sit back and see how the market trends, what's working, and go from there.
But I can say the NA version of Copernicus won't be an RMT based game.
Hmmm...

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
436 - 03-23-2009, 17:45
thanks for bumping this for me. elitist nerdraging shall commence!

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
437 - 03-23-2009, 17:46
What will WoW do!?

Page 22 of 22

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"

Social Website Bullshit