[Sushi] Making your own....

joeyarkenstat02

Veteran XV
Anyone ever do this?

A friend of mine knows my gf and I like sushi, so for christmas he bought us all this shit to make our own sushi. A book on making it, one of those bamboo sheet things they use to roll it up, a couple sushi plates, and nice chopsticks.

I do love sushi, but never even thought of making it on my own, but now feel obligated to at least try.

I definitely don't trust my local grocery store's seafood department for sushi grade fish.

Maybe Whole Foods? Citarella?

Anyway, if anyone has any experience in doing this, i'd love to hear some tips.

The rice is tricky to get right. We've never done "sushi" with raw fish, but we've made the rolls with different types of smoked or canned fish and various vegetables. I think whole foods might sell sushi grade fish. My local organic coop does, it's kept in the freezer section.

Just use smoked fish, i.e. smoked salmon.

At least your first time. Maybe after you get a bit more confidence and actually know what you're doing, use real sushi grade fish.. but the first time you do it I'd recommend something like smoked salmon.

That way if you somehow fuck up, you're not going to be disappointed and vomiting profusely all night.

made sushi last week actually

look around your city or surrounding cities for a good fish market, its what we did

its hella easy to actually do, the hardest part is getting the rice sticky unless you have a steamer

there's no such thing as "sushi grade" fish...but buy some good looking fresh from a nice place like whole foods, then freeze it for a week to kill anything bad in it.
thaw, then make your delicious sushis

I have tried it, and the rice is the tough part. If you don't get it right, the rolls will not stick together. Doing the roll is tricky, but not that difficult.

The fish just needs to be fresh. Go to a seafood place for fresh stuff. Prepare immediately.

don't i need a ridiculously sharp knife to cut the rolls?

i always see the real sushi dudes using the ones they keep in their little batman-like knife belt, and they appear to be kept pretty sharp

don't i need a ridiculously sharp knife to cut the rolls?

i always see the real sushi dudes using the ones they keep in their little batman-like knife belt, and they appear to be kept pretty sharp

sharp knives are typically handy for cutting things without fucking them up

edit: they dont have to be bruce wayne level, but the duller your knife, the more pressure that is gonna fuck up and throw the shape off the roll when youre cutting it

there's no such thing as "sushi grade" fish...but buy some good looking fresh from a nice place like whole foods, then freeze it for a week to kill anything bad in it.
thaw, then make your delicious sushis

mmmm, i would've never thought to freeze it.

something about previously frozen fish and sushi just seem wrong.

but it makes sense i guess

I use steamed crab leg, much safer and it keeps soooo long in the freezer, just buy it on sale and have a bunch of meals ready whenever you want to unfreeze them.

Be sure to use the right rice (seems like you have everything already) and to press it and spread evenly before rolling.

I use plastic wrap to keep the sushi mat from getting sticky rice all inside the slats, and then roll it up like its a jumbo joint.

mmmm, i would've never thought to freeze it.

something about previously frozen fish and sushi just seem wrong.

but it makes sense i guess

Just FYI freezing doesn't stop fish thats already gone bad from making you sick, it may kill bacteria but the chemicals the bacteria left behind before the fish had been thawed remain. Bring a cooler with you to the store and get it on ice, the sooner the better.

it's all been said already, but from getting the right rice, to cooking it the right length of time, to handling it are the first things to master

I have a Japanese recipe book for making traditional dishes--sushi included.

We have an asian market here & I've been thinking about making some next week.

I may not use fish at all...since it is not required in order to make sushi.

aw dont freeze fresh fish for a week

it's probably already been frozen anyway and faster than you can. slow freezing ruins the texture.

i mean you can do it if you're paranoid but if it doesnt smell bad, isn't mushy and you rinse it you'll really be fine

if it's not fresh enough for sushi, just cook it

Back