So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason by Ben Reed - Page 3 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason
Page 3 of 9
Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
41 - 09-26-2008, 11:16 PM
UPDATE: Vacuuming didn't seem to do the trick, either. Perhaps sandpaper or hyperventilation will yield better results?
 
Ben Reed is offline
 
Sponsored Links
Dysc0rd
VeteranX
Old
42 - 09-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Help my toliet is overflowing but only maintenance is allowed to use the plunger. I'll just wade in a pile of **** all night and hope the problem fixes itself.

Sincerely,
Ben Reed
 
Dysc0rd is offline
 
Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
43 - 09-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post
is there a wire going in to the ceiling

if so disconnect it and call maintenance in the morning

this is pretty pathetic ben reed
I know, I just don't like tampering with stuff cause I've always been paranoid of getting in trouble. I'll take another peek at it and decide whether it's worth further meddling.

Really, at this point I'm prepared to just let it run unless the people next door start banging on my door. It's not that big of a deal to me, though it is annoying.
 
Ben Reed is offline
 
Flyersfan
VeteranXV
Old
44 - 09-26-2008, 11:18 PM
im convinced at this point its a moron alarm

you have no hope of shutting that thing off
 
Flyersfan is offline
 
Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
45 - 09-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Reed View Post
I know, I just don't like tampering with stuff cause I've always been paranoid of getting in trouble. I'll take another peek at it and decide whether it's worth further meddling.

Really, at this point I'm prepared to just let it run unless the people next door start banging on my door. It's not that big of a deal to me, though it is annoying.
Just do it.

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

It's even better to say "****in' thing wouldn't shut up so I did what I had to do."
 
Reno is offline
 
Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
46 - 09-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysc0rd View Post
Help my toliet is overflowing but only maintenance is allowed to use the plunger. I'll just wade in a pile of **** all night and hope the problem fixes itself.

Sincerely,
Ben Reed
Nah, that actually happened to my brother earlier in the year and we dealt with that on the spot. But that was ****, and this is noise. Noise is annoying as ****, but it ain't going to leave mold and bacteria in its wake.
 
Ben Reed is offline
 
Dysc0rd
VeteranX
Old
47 - 09-26-2008, 11:21 PM
I imagine Ben Reed functioning in society is like in that Star Trek movie where Capt Kirk and gang go into 20th century San Francisco. Totally clueless and out of place.
 
Dysc0rd is offline
 
Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
48 - 09-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan View Post
im convinced at this point its a moron alarm

you have no hope of shutting that thing off
Your assertion would actually be rather valid if it weren't for the fact that the alarm only started going off now after at least two instances of routine maintainence.

That suggests to me that either I only NOW became a moron (I admit, I'm not ready to rule out that possibility), or that the alarm is, in fact, for detecting smoke/CO, and not for morons.

I would say the most concrete evidence (though not wholly conclusive) that I'm a moron is the fact that I shared my experience with TW. I must admit, that's not the most sensible decision I ever made. But I've made my bed, and I will sleep in it as a man ought to -- even with a smoke detector blaring in the adjacent room,
 
Ben Reed is offline
 
Jungle Fish
VeteranX
Old
49 - 09-26-2008, 11:25 PM
what ever you do don't cut the red or black wires
 
Jungle Fish is offline
 
Flyersfan
VeteranXV
Old
50 - 09-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Reed View Post
Your assertion would actually be rather valid if it weren't for the fact that the alarm only started going off now after at least two instances of routine maintainence.

That suggests to me that either I only NOW became a moron (I admit, I'm not ready to rule out that possibility), or that the alarm is, in fact, for detecting smoke/CO, and not for morons.

I would say the most concrete evidence (though not wholly conclusive) that I'm a moron is the fact that I shared my experience with TW. I must admit, that's not the most sensible decision I ever made. But I've made my bed, and I will sleep in it as a man ought to -- even with a smoke detector blaring in the adjacent room,
wat
 
Flyersfan is offline
 
Yaason
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
51 - 09-26-2008, 11:27 PM
ground yourself with tin foil before you cut anything. wouldnt want an accident.
 
Yaason is offline
 
Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
52 - 09-26-2008, 11:28 PM
One more note on the wiring: I took another look and the nearest clean connection is glued/caulked/whatever you'd call it together, presumably to prevent disconnection by tenants such as myself. Of course the obvious conclusion here is simply to CUT the wires and be done with that, but that's a little too desperate for my tastes.

As for Dysc0rd, well, your mother. I slept with her. She enjoyed it. Give her my regards.
 
Ben Reed is offline
 
Gon
VeteranXV
Old
53 - 09-26-2008, 11:32 PM
is this a troll ben reed or are you really this helpless
 
Gon is offline
 
Effective
VeteranX
Old
54 - 09-26-2008, 11:36 PM
I hope it's not really a carbon monoxide detector.
 
Effective is offline
 
fraggle
VeteranX
Old
55 - 09-26-2008, 11:37 PM
how dumb are you ben reed? call 911, theres a fire in your apartment dude!
 
fraggle is offline
 
Bad_CRC
Linux Tribes++
Contributor
Old
56 - 09-26-2008, 11:38 PM
when you die from CO poisoning you will probably make the news,


and so will this thread.



hi news
 
Bad_CRC is offline
 
T-Refried-455
VeteranXV
Old
57 - 09-26-2008, 11:39 PM
your lack of assertiveness in the face of obvious answers is extremely disturbing

unplug

the

smoke

detector

99.9% of the human population would have done this approx. 4 seconds after the alarm went off. i'm sure there's an obvious connector that can be removed (and don't tell me that glue is stronger than your arms).
 
T-Refried-455 is offline
 
Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
58 - 09-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post
is this a troll ben reed or are you really this helpless
"Helpless", I think, is the wrong way to phrase it.

I think it's just way too reactionary/immature to smash/brutally disconnect something that doesn't technically belong to me, particularly when it's not of life-threatening import to me or anybody else near me, especially when I only have a few hours' wait to solve the problem legitimately. It smacks of desperation, of not really THINKING about what could be done and the consequences of one's actions. It says that I'm young and impatient, and that's not how I roll.

The neighbors have yet to complain (most of them are out partying anyway). My brother doesn't give a ****. I can tolerate this. I see no reason to trouble myself with undue property "destruction" over something that's not threatening to kill me with fire or knives or brutal sodomy by a large negroid fellow. This can wait until tomorrow morning, when I can make a proper stink about it to people whose job it is to deal with this.
 
Ben Reed is offline
 
Gon
VeteranXV
Old
59 - 09-26-2008, 11:41 PM
 
Gon is offline
 
JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
60 - 09-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Ben Reed's world domination stopped by a smoke detector.
 
JoMo is offline
 
Page 3 of 9


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason

Social Website Bullshit

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

AGENT: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) / Y
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.