How to BBQ a beef clod and other stuff

Brasstax

Contributor
Veteran XX
So, while some TW people are blowing their brains out or getting their name inked on mstrikes ass, I am preparing for a 4th of July BBQ. I usually do brisket and ribs or pork shoulder. This year, I decided to try out a beef clod.

I became interested in doing a clod after seeing them on the cooker at Kruez market in a Texas BBQ book I have. If any of you live down that way, I am jealous of your proximity to such awesome BBQ.

Anyway, I have been BBQing for years, I just never ran across this cut. I got a 20 pound clod from a local butcher. The clod is a portion of the shoulder. No bone and a fat cap on one side. The one I got is roughly shaped like a texas style brisket. The grocery store models look like they have the pointy end cut off as well as most of the fat. So, go to a decent butcher and get a proper one for BBQ.

The menu -
20 lb Beef clod
6 racks of baby backs
Hot dogs for the kids
Corn bread
Slaw
Potato salad
Green salad (fucking girls)
Baked beans from scratch
Corn on the cob
Ice cold jicama watermelon salad with jalapeno syrup drizzled on top
An assortment of meat market sides, saltines, cheese, pickles, onions etc
Grilled onions (if someone wants to make a beef sandwich)
Two home made sauces - one with an apple overtone for the ribs, one a bit peppery for the beef (if anyone wants to ruin it)
Homemade ice cream
Lemon bars
Beer, wine, kemper sodas, mexican cola, etc
and other stuff that people will bring over.

I do all the REAL cooking over at my place. I love my wife but women just can't cook like men. Learn to cook. Seriously. Especially on a real BBQ cooker.

Anyway, meal time is set for the 4th at 4:30PM. I am planning on about an apx 17 hour cook time. Also, I like to let it sit for an hour afterwards so that all the juices don't run out when cutting. This means it will be going on the cooker around 10 o clock tommorow night.

I like to get the rub on my meat the night before I cook. I used a rub that is very simple and borrowed from a Steve Raichlen recipe from BBQ USA.

3/4 cup salt (use sea salt)
1/4 cup cracked black peppercorns
2 to 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper

The only thing I changed was I used 2 tablespoons ancho pepper and one cayenne.

Here are some prep shots.

Bottom of clod
clod1.jpg

Top of clod with fat cap
clod2.jpg

Clod with rub applied
clod3.jpg

Closeup of the rub
clod_rub.jpg

Once the rub is applied, it's back into the fridge for around 24 hours. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to keep it airtight.

I'll post some more pics and info later as it goes into the cooker etc.

Last edited:
this is so awesome

steve raichlen is such a tool on TV but i love watching his show anyway

my july 4th will probably consist of me working from 2 until 11 :/

What type of wood are you going with?

also hit us up with your sauce recipe. I've been looking for a good sauce recipe.

Probably pecan or oak with some hickory mixed in at the beginning, that is how I do briskets.

As for sauce this is a good one from a famous BBQ place in central Texas

1 8oz. can of tomato sauce
¼ cup of mustard
1 teaspoon of Louisiana Hot Sauce (or to taste depending on the amount of spice you want)
5 Tablespoons of brown sugar
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon vinegar

Mix and let sit atleast an hour before serving

What type of wood are you going with?

also hit us up with your sauce recipe. I've been looking for a good sauce recipe.

For beef, I like oak. However, since I am doing ribs and beef in the same cooker, I like a mix of oak and hickory.

When I do ribs on their own, I like hickory and apple.

This will be going on my trusty traeger pellet cooker. It's a pellet fed cooker with a thermostat so that I can regulate my temp. I used to cook on a large texas style wood burner and I would mix my wood with natural chunk charcoal. But, I am usually running around and I like to be able to cook with the thermostat so that I don't have to worry about the temp during the process.

Also, it's nice because it adjusts for the ambient outdoor temp. So, out here in the pac nw if I do an overnight cook, I can get some sleep as well.

Sauces are tricky. I will try to post what I come up with but I do it by taste.

Some of the stuff I use (not all in the same sauce)
Paprika
Sea Salt
Brown sugar
Mustard powder
Mustard
Tomato sauce
Tomato paste
Ketchup
Molasses
Apple Sauce
Marionberry jelly
Powdered worcester
worcester
freshly ground herbs (rosemary, cumin, coriander, thyme, oregano, sage)
Habenero
White pepper
Onions
Onion powder
Garlic / garlic powder
Ginger
Cider vinegar
Allspice (real allspice - Jamaican style)
Cinnamon
Cane syrup
Corn syrup
Coke, rootbeer
Apple cider
White vinegar
Rice vinegar
Celery seed
Drippings from the BBQ
etc

I also keep a pizza shaker or two of shake that I use on the meat, in the beans etc.

I prefer no sauce on beef. I have a real soft spot for heavily coated ribs though. Pure candy.

Last edited:
i make a jack daniels bbq sauce from a recipe i found

you can't really make a 'sauce' without the juice from the meat, though

i generally skim the fat off, simmer it with some of the JD sauce, and then whisk in some butter if i'm feeling extra retarded

and yeah it basically only gets used on pork ribs. everything else really shouldn't need a sugar sauce

i make a jack daniels bbq sauce from a recipe i found

you can't really make a 'sauce' without the juice from the meat, though

i generally skim the fat off, simmer it with some of the JD sauce, and then whisk in some butter if i'm feeling extra retarded

and yeah it basically only gets used on pork ribs. everything else really shouldn't need a sugar sauce
You know, I really have to do that. Use JD, I mean. I have always meant to and I just haven't got around to it. I love it on wings.

yeah they sell a corn syrup variety in the store that i won't go near, but i love the flavor.

you start with the JD, boil off some of the liquor and then add a bunch of the other regular sauce ingredients. i didn't think the taste would come through but it does, big.

2/3 cup Jack Daniels
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups ketchup
1/3 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons worcestershire
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1/2 teaspoon tabasco
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

simmer the garlic with the JD for ~5 minutes and then add the rest of the shit and let it bubble for 30 mins at least then bottle that shit up

2/3 cup Jack Daniels
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups ketchup
1/3 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons worcestershire
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1/2 teaspoon tabasco
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

simmer the garlic with the JD for ~5 minutes and then add the rest of the shit and let it bubble for 30 mins at least then bottle that shit up
Man, that looks gooooood.

Back