Data shows science degrees worth more than humanities [Duh]

I came out of school with a lower GPA than friends in the business school at Santa Clara, but I've had more and better job offers.

This is also generally attributed to me being awesome.

A+ for hard science!

- RADICAL HALOGENATION
- ADD A NITRILE CONNECTED TO 8-9 CARBONS
- HYDROLYSIS OF NITRILE TO CARBOXYLIC ACID
- ORGANOMETALLICS TO REDUCE CARBONYL AND ADD THE REST OF YOUR ALKANE GROUP

BAM 4 STEPS WHAT NOW BITCH

i could never do the retrosynthesis on 3a/3b tests. everything else, but not that.

chem bio ftw.

ptavv is apparently still trying to justify his poor grades to his parents.
I'd be pretty pissed if I paid for my kid's education and he didn't pull at least a 3.5.

Sliding scale is unnecessary. Everyone already knows this, so when they look at your resume, saying "oh you have a BS in chemical engineering" is the same as saying "oh you have a BS in chemical engineering and an 8.7 on the sliding scale". Retarded idea.

Sliding scale is unnecessary. Everyone already knows this, so when they look at your resume, saying "oh you have a BS in chemical engineering" is the same as saying "oh you have a BS in chemical engineering and an 8.7 on the sliding scale". Retarded idea.

There needs to be a sliding scale or at least a better method of visualizing the amount of work and the difficulty of the classes. Name one undergraduate humanities course that stacks up to the amount of work required to pass an undergraduate physical chemistry or biochemistry course. The amount of work required to not only memorize the structures/mechanism/equations but understand them and apply them is definately not equal to some 3 credit hour course where you're just reading the assigned texts and writing a few essays. The amount of work is not equal and the weighting of the grades should not be equal.

how would you compare the difficulty of learning a new language with learning chemistry

Depends on the language.

Japanese was harder than a few chemistry courses but that was learning a new grammar structure and learning the symbols of katakana, hiragana, and kanji. Some of that was pure memorization but much of that was getting familiar enough with them that I could read them without a ten second pause between symbols.

Now a language like spanish doesn't even compare to Japanese in the level of difficulty.

how would you compare the difficulty of learning a new language with learning chemistry
Hard science majors at my school were still required to take a language :x

And it depends on the chemistry.

There are multiple ways to get through synthesis in OChem, and some of them are extremely difficult. PChem is just stupidly hard.

weighted grading system? that's ridiculous, is it just to make science majors feel better about business majors with 4.0s? Who gives a shit, any company worth it's salt understands the relative difficulties of different majors and universities.

seriously, that is what is wrong with this era. weighted grading systems. what a fucking stupid idea.

Back