3d max 2.5 help!

i'm making some models for tribes and i was wondering how to add a skin over it like disc.bmp or something. does anyone know how? i checked some of the *.max examples and it didnt help too much.. i've added the material to the material list but i dunno how to put it on my model :(

In the material editor, you need to assign a material with a "diffuse" map on it. Find the diffuse slot and select the Bitmap material.

The only thing is that you have to unwrap the model properly via the uv unwrap modifer. Take a look at this tutorial for a bit more info on unwrapping- http://67.15.36.49/ffa/tutorials/max/UVW_mapping_an_object/UVW_mapping_an_object1.asp

You might want a newer version other than R2.5... it's probably lax on alot of features.

yeah for sure, except im new to modeling haha i just made basic shapes and stuff so it aint gonna be great. right now i've only made some flag models for the community at TROC.

does anyone know how to make models transparent/translucent? like forcefield material stuff. i heard it requires you to take out the alpha layer or something. i've tried setting the opacity of the diffuse color/skin to < 100 but it turns back into opaque after i export it as DTS.

here
http://www.ablephone.com/tribes/
that kinda stuff
but then all the links are dead and he said "Now for those who may ask as to where I can get these? Well after my testing I will release them with packs and I have been doing lots of testing as to prevent CHEATERS from exploiting these. Sorry no clear textures will be released. :)"

Last edited:
clawed disc projectile

disc1.JPG

cross disc projectile

disc2.JPG

the trail skins in the zip are from sarcastick's colored sets.. so credits to him.

flag model

flag1.JPG

don't wanna get in an arguement about hm.. their for the TROC community.. so just use your own morals.

so does anyone have any idea how to skin something to be transparent?

also, another question... for explosions (i made it with particle illusion and everything) and now it's an explosion with a black background. How do I make it so that it can be used in tribes? I used StarSiege Tools' additivepallete9 or something and it got rid of the black, but then made all the colors funny neon style which looked really bad. i also tried makeskin with palette3 but then the black stayed.

Last edited:
Back