Is playing a mage worth it? by artemisfowl - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Oblivion
Reload this Page Is playing a mage worth it?
artemisfowl
VeteranX
Old
1 - 05-28-2006, 12:57
I've logged about 50 total hours playing my two Oblivion characters. The first of these characters was an Imperial, a Knight for his build. I came to realize that leveling was going to get rough around level 17 because of his lack of useful major skills. I decided to start over, and since I wanted to keep playing a hack n' slash type character, I made a custom class Redguard. Got him to level 25 and things are getting kind of dull. I am head of the Fighters, Mages, and Arena guild, but am not that far in the Main Quest. Should I finish the Main Quest and go from there? I was thinking it might be interesting to start a caster/mage type of character. Do these characters get boring? Or are there enough spells and different things to do to keep it interesting? One of the things I really ejnoy about my warrior is the timing of manually blocking attacks from my foes. This keeps me alert and interested. Just looking for some new things to try and if a magic-based class is worth my time. Thanks for all the help/comments.

Sponsored Links
Rev_Night
WelchesX
Contributor
Old
2 - 05-28-2006, 13:24
My guy is a custom mage and fighter.

Custom Class: War Mage

Major Skills:
Destruction
Restoration
Alteration
Block
Blade
Athletics
Heavy Armor

Birthsign: The Warrior

Race: Dark Elf

I am level 47 and i have 100s for all major skills and 100 in armorer and acrobatics. There are some spells that take down npc's in one or two shots, as there are swords that take them down just as quickly. If you want action, I personally believe that this character skill set is the best at it.

Akela
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
3 - 05-29-2006, 13:33
You can do a spellcaster, but make sure that you have at least one combat skill or you won't last long. I usually prefer fighters, but I'm now testing a spellcaster (sort of). Posted her in an UESP forum thread where we discussed custom classes:

Name of class: Seductress (Brigitte)
Race: Breton
Sign: The Lord
Favours Personality and Intelligence
Major skills: Alchemy, Alteration, Blade, Illusion, Mysticism, Sneak, Speechcraft
Most used Minor Skills: Light Armour, Block, Armorer, Destruction

I wanted Brigitte to be very different from Skade, my Nord warrior/ranger. Brigitte is a glamour girl. She uses charm and command spells a lot and depends on her little poisioned blade for melee and spells for ranged attacks. The waterfront shack in IC isn't stylish enough for her so she will focus on getting the Skingrad house. She has joined Mages because she hates that ugly armor she has to wear to stay alive and wants to enchant some clothes that really look good on her.

After starting the main quest and joining Mages in Chorrol she headed for Bruma to get the recommendation there, do some side quests and check out the nearby Frostcrag Spire. She really doesn't have patience enough to get all those recommendations needed to get her into the uni. She wants to start enchanting her warderobe ASAP.

When doing the Two Sides of the Coin quest in Bruma she surprised me. She had to to some time to get the confidence of one NPC so she stole a clay pot right under the nose of the guard. After doing what had to be done and sleeping a little she was handed a note by a mysterious lady. I had never intended Brigitte to be a thief, but she likes the good stuff and it will cost a lot of money to keep her in style. So.. now she's on her way to IC to meet with the Grey Fox, via Azura's shrine (damn, no glow dust) and Cheydinhal to pick up the Dark Rose armour. She didn't leave Bruma before stealing everything in Arnora's house that wasn't nailed to the walls of course. Naughty girl. I wonder what will become of her. She's not even lvl 10 yet.

milford
VeteranX
Old
4 - 05-30-2006, 22:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akela
You can do a spellcaster, but make sure that you have at least one combat skill or you won't last long. I usually prefer fighters, but I'm now testing a spellcaster (sort of). Posted her in an UESP forum thread where we discussed custom classes:

Name of class: Seductress (Brigitte)
Race: Breton
Sign: The Lord
Favours Personality and Intelligence
Major skills: Alchemy, Alteration, Blade, Illusion, Mysticism, Sneak, Speechcraft
Most used Minor Skills: Light Armour, Block, Armorer, Destruction

I wanted Brigitte to be very different from Skade, my Nord warrior/ranger. Brigitte is a glamour girl. She uses charm and command spells a lot and depends on her little poisioned blade for melee and spells for ranged attacks. The waterfront shack in IC isn't stylish enough for her so she will focus on getting the Skingrad house. She has joined Mages because she hates that ugly armor she has to wear to stay alive and wants to enchant some clothes that really look good on her.

After starting the main quest and joining Mages in Chorrol she headed for Bruma to get the recommendation there, do some side quests and check out the nearby Frostcrag Spire. She really doesn't have patience enough to get all those recommendations needed to get her into the uni. She wants to start enchanting her warderobe ASAP.

When doing the Two Sides of the Coin quest in Bruma she surprised me. She had to to some time to get the confidence of one NPC so she stole a clay pot right under the nose of the guard. After doing what had to be done and sleeping a little she was handed a note by a mysterious lady. I had never intended Brigitte to be a thief, but she likes the good stuff and it will cost a lot of money to keep her in style. So.. now she's on her way to IC to meet with the Grey Fox, via Azura's shrine (damn, no glow dust) and Cheydinhal to pick up the Dark Rose armour. She didn't leave Bruma before stealing everything in Arnora's house that wasn't nailed to the walls of course. Naughty girl. I wonder what will become of her. She's not even lvl 10 yet.
You're... amazing.

LoH
Veteran++
Old
5 - 06-03-2006, 02:14
Started with a sneaky thief/archer/socialite, got that character to 20-something.

Started a new one, this one a dedicated nuke-mage. High-elven, with purple hair. She find she likes the black shirt she liberated from the first necromancer she killed, and compliments it with gold-trimmed shoes and dark pants.

She's a member of the Mage's Guild, but lacking proper materials to do decent enchants on her equipment. Oh, and she specializes in hand-to-hand combat as her non-magic form of defense.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Oblivion
Reload this Page Is playing a mage worth it?

Social Website Bullshit