Why are GPU's still so expensive?

Flash

Veteran XX
I thought the price hike was primarily due to the demand created by crypto. Since crypto is practically dead, what is keeping the prices so high?

this is my favorite part of the crypto crash. Proving all the crybabies who couldnt afford gaming cards still cant even though no one is mining.

lol

I thought the price hike was primarily due to the demand created by crypto. Since crypto is practically dead, what is keeping the prices so high?

AMD RX 580 prices are cheap as shit. I see deals all the time below $200, like $180. I see 1070 prices for $320-$350.

where are you looking?

this is my favorite part of the crypto crash. Proving all the crybabies who couldnt afford gaming cards still cant even though no one is mining.

lol

I mean is it not kind of ridiculous that a 2 year old video card only costs like 30 bucks less msrp than it did on release

Cuz it is kind of ridiculous considering the history of video card prices the last decade +

I mean is it not kind of ridiculous that a 2 year old video card only costs like 30 bucks less msrp than it did on release

Cuz it is kind of ridiculous considering the history of video card prices the last decade +

the same cards i bought last year during the crypto Surge are still more now than when i bought them lol.

Video cards are a niche market. The main uses for consumer PC video cards are crypto mining, machine learning, and video games (ignoring the professional video card ranges which are obviously for 3D modeling what not). "Mainstream" gamers are console gamers. Add onto that the fact that Nvidia has had a monopoly on the PC graphics market for a long time and you get the current prices. :weird:

hardcore gamers generally have lots of disposable income

they gotta take advantage of that as much as possible

I bought an RX 580 8GB today for $209!

It comes with Resident Evil 2! That’s a $60 value!

Will my i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz bottleneck this card for 1080p gaming?!

I'm not sure what you consider "expensive", but prices have come way down. There were 8GB RX 580s for $179 on Black Friday, and you still see them that low on occasion.

And if you want to go cheaper still, there are a ton of used mining cards now flooding eBay.

As for why retail prices aren't "buy one get three free", both NVIDIA and AMD have tapered back production of new GPUs (sans Turing) so that they don't obliterate the market. AMD made that mistake with the 300 series a few years back and it sent them right into the red. So both are going to let the flood of used cards sort themselves out, and then ramp up GPU production as necessary to meet sustained demand.

i think the prices have "normalized" for a while now. hoarding GPUs for mining hasn't been a thing for a while now.

the problem is nvidia's stupid ass pricing strategies

There are only so many factories making memory for these cards, which is also used in cell phones, so the answer is p much more consumers and higher demand driving prices up

Back