Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
TribalWar Forums
Page 1 of 5

TribalWar Forums (http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/index.php)
-   Warhammer Online (http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=318)
-   -   What do you think about the classes so far? (Preview weekend) (http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554392)

G-Force 08-24-2008 04:04

What do you think about the classes so far? (Preview weekend)

I ****ed around with a bunch of different classes (destruction side).

I'd have to say Shaman and Squig herder are my favourite so far.

You can't really tell anything because this is lowbie **** and you don't have any skills...but some classes just "feel" better than others for whatever reason.

Shaman

Pros:
- you do pretty good damage
- you can heal yourself and others, yay, makes for quick recovery after fights
- 1 hour duration resist group buff, nice

Cons:
- in RvR, once people notice you, you're dead. You have some HoTs which are decent. You have this weak ass normal heal (3 second cast) but it has a catch...if you get spell pushback while casting it reduces the amount it will heal when you get it off.

Squig

Pros:
- lolhuntard...you have a pet to hold aggro so you can shoot **** (rofl, ill get to the pet later)
- you do decent damage, sort of like the hunter in wow..but its way too early to tell

Cons:
- this is a HUGE ****ing con...the pet....sucks, so bad. It disappears on you, lags behind you....its just horrible...like some ****ing grade 10 student programmed it. I really hope they clean this up because it seems like a fun class. The poor pet mechanics just makes it ****in brutal though.

Anyway, its way, way too early to tell what class does what. The game isnt finished obviously and this is just low level ****, who knows how this all pans out later.

Any other additions from people would be appreciated.

oh, and so far...this game is ****ing FUN...doesnt feel like a grind at all.

Yawnfest 08-24-2008 05:07

It sucks that the preview weekend patch broke a bunch of the pathing and AI's making squig herders utter ****. Going to be a very unpopular class at release b/c of it. I imagine same with White Lion.

Stuff I Played:

Black Orc: I usually don't like playing melees so I wasn't surprised I didn't like it. The whole 1, 2, 3 combination lacked flow for me and seems inherently horrible for PvP. Ok, so my snare is in 2 and silence in 3. Well, if I need to use one now but am in 1...uh oh I'm screwed. Still, though my friend played this mainly with my Zealot and we tore people up so it's a fine class, just wasn't for me.

Disciple of Khaine: The most complicated class I played. You have to juggle meleeing to build up your Soul Essence in order to heal with actually healing. I felt like a nut juggling both bars, focusing on healing and then scrambling like a mad man for something to beat on to be able to heal more. The channeled conversion of AP to soul essence is nice. Honestly, could heal way more just doing that instead of meleeing at all but then not contributing damage. A strong class but way to hectic and stressful to play. And I felt like it was weak in PvP. Too easy to get focused, the heals at low levels at least were all HoTs and I had no CC. So I need to wade into melee to do my job but that just makes me a prime target to kill.

Zealot: Love this class. I'm playing it at release. It has so many instants which rock. I could kite people all day. Doing Norden's Watch was some of the most fun running people around the houses and roofs endlessly while keeping myself and group up. Definitely the weakest on damage but oh well. The useable buffs are kind of neat. I haven't gotten high enough for rituals yet. Plenty of nice heals and been topping the healing for scenarios quite easily. Good for placing high in PQ's too.

Shaman: Dabbled a bit with one but after getting to level 6 and looking at the future spells I knew I liked Zealot more. Not enough instants and no CC's mean once they come for you in PvP you just bend over whereas a Zealot can survive. I'm sure different at later levels but that was it through 14.

Best moment so far was taking the Tier 2 Keep over 2 hours starting with pushing the Order all the way back inside it. Then catapulting them, taking out their machines/Oil, ramming down the door and then the level by level fights as they tried to block us on the stairs and at doorway chokepoints. Finally, culminating in their last few holding out on the roof and we burst in finishing off the last of them. RvR is so fun, but you got to break away from the zerg. Often we'd have my Zealot stand out in the open baiting people after me and then I'd run to the hiding spot where my friends waited and we'd own them. Or we'd disrupt the dead people running back to the zerg and take secondary objectives. Goooooddd timmeess.

Mangle-Me-Elmo 08-24-2008 06:39

i like black ork

best moment was popping my dodge/block buff that drains AP along with the skill the regenerates AP and holding off a 10 man order zerg at a choke while everyone regrouped

collision detection kicks ass

Jamezeo 08-24-2008 06:58

my friend and i went on a "get r10 rr6" spree so we could get the r10rr6 armor sets and **** in scenarios against lvl 4 scrubs and it basically taught me that i love black orc and rune priest

Rants about classes:

Squig Herder - the obvious...the pet AI/pathing is a ****ing JOKE in this game. The two pet classes are pretty much broken because of it too which is a shame because both seem like they could be pretty sweet if their entire special mechanic wasn't 90% broken

Bright Wizard - most OP/obnoxious class...but i learned once i got geared on my black orc, i could tear them apart...guessing tanks are the rock to their scissors

Marauder - wear lame armor with buggy transformation glitches and green skin...something about marauders just bothers me, even when i'm destruction too

Random rant and banter aside, the game kicks ass and i love how every class/archetype has it's own mechanic that you can match to an opposite realm race/class...but is different enough to make you want to try both out once you find a mechanic you like.

Father Ruckus 08-24-2008 09:16

Squig Herder - Was gonna be my main, but after PW, not so sure anymore. DPS is pathetic, probably due to my Squig doing what ever the **** it feels like.

Black Orc - Loved it, enjoyed "Da Plan" fighting mechanic, and the look.

Marauder - Meh, DPS is nice, but i played melee dps in WoW, and am bored to tears w./ it

Iron Breaker - ****ing awesome, love the grudge system.

Shadow Warrior - so far my fav, nice dps / survivabilty, armor looks kinda cool, major con that you have to be an elf :(

Ickz 08-24-2008 10:26

shaman - i like the mechanics, but the only experience i've had so far is being super undergeared (no rr gear at all at lvl 8), so ill get him to 10+ and try it out

black orc - currently 10 with full rr6 gear and its really fun, but im not sure if thats the broken overpowered rr6 gear in t1 bg's talking

marauder - boring

sorc - fun, only played up to 8, but seemed to do well even without gear. lots o damage

squig herder - gimp and boring

zealot - i wanted to like it, but it seemed gimp. going to put some more time into it to see what its like at higher lvls. it was my original class choice before trying anything out

only ones ive tried so far really

DacTheHork 08-24-2008 11:43

btw keep in mind some classes /specs change the playstyle a lot when you hit tier 4.

Jamezeo 08-24-2008 13:15

anyone else think the rune priest is going to be nerfed?

You can basically train a few enemies spamming your instant heals on you and seriously never do. Do zealots have basically all instant heals as well? Haven't tried one far enough to tell, but i know they are the couterpart to RPs so i figured they would....but i know i had no problems facing zealots in rvr, unlike unkillable RPs.

Edit: Thank god, they know the pet pathing/ai is totally broken. Supposedly the 3.3 patch ****ed em up.

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/for...37#post1190537

Quote:

4) Pet AI and pathing is severely broken. The Preview Weekend patch (3.3) unfortunately borked the system. This is issue #1B for us. Even though this is a beta and new bugs/issues are to be expected, we messed up on this issue. We expect a quick turnaround on this next week. So please accept my apologies for this one, it should not have happened.

Yawnfest 08-24-2008 14:15

Zealots have a lot of instants. I've heard from the Elder server people that Zealots need love at higher levels though b/c Runepriests are way better there. Much more survivability.

FalseMyrmidon 08-24-2008 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yawnfest (Post 13606918)
Disciple of Khaine: The most complicated class I played. You have to juggle meleeing to build up your Soul Essence in order to heal with actually healing. I felt like a nut juggling both bars, focusing on healing and then scrambling like a mad man for something to beat on to be able to heal more. The channeled conversion of AP to soul essence is nice. Honestly, could heal way more just doing that instead of meleeing at all but then not contributing damage. A strong class but way to hectic and stressful to play. And I felt like it was weak in PvP. Too easy to get focused, the heals at low levels at least were all HoTs and I had no CC. So I need to wade into melee to do my job but that just makes me a prime target to kill.

Team up with a tank guarding you and you're practically invincible since you already have med armor and you can heal yourself (and you'll probably have other healers healing you too). Guard has a max range of like 20 yards so it can't really be used on the ranged healers in most situations.

Quote:

Zealot: Love this class. I'm playing it at release. It has so many instants which rock. I could kite people all day. Doing Norden's Watch was some of the most fun running people around the houses and roofs endlessly while keeping myself and group up. Definitely the weakest on damage but oh well. The useable buffs are kind of neat. I haven't gotten high enough for rituals yet. Plenty of nice heals and been topping the healing for scenarios quite easily. Good for placing high in PQ's too.
It's Nordenwatch, not Norden's Watch.

I'm playing a Zealot come release too but the Runepriest is so much better. I hate the Harbinger mechanic.

FalseMyrmidon 08-24-2008 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yawnfest (Post 13607736)
Zealots have a lot of instants. I've heard from the Elder server people that Zealots need love at higher levels though b/c Runepriests are way better there. Much more survivability.

It's mainly due to the Harbinger mechanic. Worst mechanic in the game.

FalseMyrmidon 08-24-2008 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamezeo (Post 13607555)
anyone else think the rune priest is going to be nerfed?

You can basically train a few enemies spamming your instant heals on you and seriously never do. Do zealots have basically all instant heals as well? Haven't tried one far enough to tell, but i know they are the couterpart to RPs so i figured they would....but i know i had no problems facing zealots in rvr, unlike unkillable RPs.

Edit: Thank god, they know the pet pathing/ai is totally broken. Supposedly the 3.3 patch ****ed em up.

State of the Preview Weekend - Warhammer Forums

Zealots and Runepriests are mirrors (granted a poor one) so they do have most of the same spells. The one you're referring to is one you start at level 1 with that is an instant heal that heals for a decent amount. It's really pretty terrible in comparison to the efficiency of any other healing spell. It's only strength is it can be used while moving around which is admittedly a pretty big strength.

Running away and spamming that plus having my hot up makes me very resilient.

I can't think of anything at level 10ish that would make a Runepriest significantly harder to kill than a Zealot.

Basic Heals for a zealot:

http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=8569
http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=8558
http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=8566
http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=8549
http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=8562

They're the same as the Runepriest equivalents. And there's only 1 instant that the other healers don't get.

Oxyminoan 08-24-2008 14:58

Runepriests only really start to outshine the Zealot when they get their dwarf racial tactics (+660 armor for one slot, anyone?) and the Runepriest Tactic that gives your HoT a 25% chance per tick to increase armor by over 1000 for 10 seconds. This gives them 5x the survivability of the Zealot.

Not to mention, they have a useful detaunt (50% reduced damage compared to the Harbringer's 25%) and don't have to cast a harbringer (which can be resisted) in order to do their main damage spells on the target. (The runepriests do more DPS also, btw)

The gap between the two is pretty ridiculous at level 40.

FalseMyrmidon 08-24-2008 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxyminoan (Post 13607881)
Runepriests only really start to outshine the Zealot when they get their dwarf racial tactics (+660 armor for one slot, anyone?) and the Runepriest Tactic that gives your HoT a 25% chance per tick to increase armor by over 1000 for 10 seconds. This gives them 5x the survivability of the Zealot.

Not to mention, they have a useful detaunt (50% reduced damage compared to the Harbringer's 25%) and don't have to cast a harbringer (which can be resisted) in order to do their main damage spells on the target. (The runepriests do more DPS also, btw)

The gap between the two is pretty ridiculous at level 40.

Pretty much what he said. Also if you look at the Zealot spell list any spell that mentions the Harbinger the Runepriest gets a better version of.

Senty 08-24-2008 16:27

Squiggie
Like the bonuses from the different squigs. PvE I could take 3 even levels with my horned squig as long as it stayed by my side. RvR I could do nice quick damage to loners but faced quick death when the squig would bug out.

Shadow Warrior
I love being a gay little elf kicking ass with my mdps hybrid. Assault stance ftw

Shaman
In response to the complaint about the 3 sec heal, if it's anything like Archmage it'll be instacast when you build up 5 Gork's Waaagh!

Goofy 08-24-2008 16:33

I know jack **** on the classes of WAR and I'm too lazy to search. How is the rogue-type class? I read that it doesn't focus on stuns like it's wow counterpart so I'm curious how this class doesn't get gibbed in pvp.

Slash 08-24-2008 20:28

Archmage:

Being able to DPS and heal put my groups over the top in PVP. Especially when combined with BW's or other Archmages.

Squigherder:

Fix the pet AI and it'l be good.

Engineer:

Not impressed with turrets at all but otherwise nice utility.

Magus

Not impressed with horror's but otherwise nice dmg and utility.

Sorcerer:

Sweet damage.

Chosen:

Got this one to Rank12 RR8. Once I got the rank10 gear I began to wtfpwn soloists and anybody who wasn't equally geared, regardless of their tactics. Only multiple opponents seem to have a chance to beat me and even then, with any backup I'd be able to literally stand there and survive a LONG time. Once I got my 40% speed debuff ability my kill count sky rocketed.

I think the damage could be about 5 to 10% higher but it's a tank class so I doubt it'l happen. Also auras need to affect people outside of your group in open field, otherwise the bonus or range needs to be increased.

Overall:

Right now it seems like Open field is LOLmelee and WTFcasterseverywhere. I see tons of brightwizards and archmages on Order. Chaos seems to play a more diverse game but with a noticeable lack of sorcerers, putting them at a disadvantage versus Order in the ranged department.

greydog 08-25-2008 03:11

i played mostly a witch elf, aka rogue. got to level 10, her mechanics are 90% like wow rogues, but... slower. the gdc is 2s which feels like an eternity when you're chasing down people in rvr. stealth has a 1m cd, again, feels like an eternity. some other skills with huge cd's too. but i saw that there were masteries that will lower your cd significantly.

where do i get the r10 r6 armor??

*nm... saw other thread. i was just rvr'ing and doing the scenarios in t1 i guess, didn't run south far enough into t2, which starts after chapter 4?

Jamezeo 08-25-2008 03:44

I spoiled myself to healers and tanks by making rune priest and black orc my first main 10+ characters.

I can't stand rvr as dps now. Not being able to take a beating because of either no heals or no armor just plain sucks. I hate relying on other scrub healers to keep me alive, thus has been why I've always stuck to healing classes in other games as well.

unloader 08-25-2008 04:26

So far:

Sorcerer: Fun, good DPS, like the Bright Wizard, pumps out good ranged dps but at a price: can get smashed by melee dps if youre caught alone, as was predicted.

Bright Wizard: supposed to be mirror class of Sorc, but this class is much funner, probably due to the spell graphics; Sorcs spell graphics look like warm ****, only worse IMO.

Marauder: fun as far as melee goes, would like to play this class at high lvl.

Shadow Warrior: funnest class I've played so far in this game. The range from which you can hit people is good for quite a few laughs, and since little to no spell graphic, enemies cant always get a bead on you right away, or so it seemed. Unfortunately you have to be a gay ass elf in order to play this, so that kinda blows.

Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page