Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
TribalWar Forums
Page 74 of 77

TribalWar Forums (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/index.php)
-   TWHOF (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=275)
-   -   [TribalWarrior on Sci-Fi] Gameshow starts tonight (Tues/Mar10) @ 9cst/10est plzwatch! (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577483)

Oddiz 05-01-2009 05:14

was planning to watch it this weekend but the TW frontpage spoiled it for me so I watched it tonight. :)

Honestly, I didn't think you were going to win the whole thing the entire show. You were the best all around gamer on there though. You were dead in the middle after most of the challenges were complete. Real life parts really helped you out I think

Congrats, have fun with it. Do you know how often you'll be travelling for WCG ****? Not that I'm any good but you'll probably have to get really good, really fast to support the whole Ultimate Gamer title. And you've got an excellent opprotunity to make a career out of it now. Good thing you got 100k to sit on so you can play games all day every day. Its what I would do :shrug:.

What will you do at these WCG events anyways? Do you get to play or what?

NAT Mav 05-01-2009 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZProtoss (Post 14508152)
In short, everyone they picked (with the exception of the SC guy), are people who are completely unknown in their respective communities. They didn't go out of their way to pick people with actual fame, rather they went for people that could fit certain images that they wanted on their show.

If the producers weren't concerned with getting the proper images/gender count ratio, they probably could have gotten a list of 12 people or so that were all mostly known and respected within their genres.

The problem with getting players that are already famous or really pro is that they are usually already under contract with their own sponsors, which likely conflict with the sponsors of the show.

{X}Hitman 05-01-2009 08:43

I think someone already said this zp, but it is probably because if you have some lvl of fame you probably have some lvl of sponsorship that is not in line with the show. This is huge for a show like this that is starting out, and in a area that has not been hit in years. I forget what the show was years ago, but like 15-20 years ago there was a show for a short time that asked questions and had people play arcade games. It was not a reality show it was just a game show. Anyway I have not seen anything like this since that.

I am sure you could beat them all at every game though right?

Goshin 05-01-2009 10:02

good job SP

I still have a picture of your penis in yogurt or something

so uh, give me $500?

Fool 05-01-2009 10:32

Personally I think they should only play unreleased games (ala The Wizard). Get people who can pick up games quickly, give them more than a day to practice, etc...

Kerosene31 05-01-2009 11:56

So, when do you get the Samsung gear? You have to take a pic of all the stuff.

ZProtoss 05-01-2009 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by {X}Hitman (Post 14508386)

No where was that claimed, but on the other hand I also wouldn't be in there saying that I'm the best ever at the particular games played, especially when it's not even remotely close to true.

All gaming can basically be broken down to repetition, knowledge, and muscle memory - something which is very specific to one type of genre/one game within the genre, even if you're semi decent at other things. In my case most of my talent set is centered around PC FPS/RTS with a small bit of fighting games - since it's what I've spent the most time on. Obviously most of that wouldn't translate as well to most of the games being played (though I doubt I'd end up in last in anything except the ddr/rock band style games since they're unique and I haven't invested any time into them).

As far as the sponsorship stuff goes, I doubt it would have conflicted in any major way for many groups (barring some important event that was must-play in for the set of 3 weeks when they were filming). Most groups would have been happy to let their players participate in something like this show simply because it gives them a lot of free publicity. If anything, the producers of the show could have approached sponsors directly in a way to pressure certain people to go on the show in the first place.

If you want to go down the route of people who aren't that good, then you should at least name the show something else, so the claims that get thrown out aren't quite as ridiculous.

untouchable 05-01-2009 13:11

wow protoss shut the **** up you freak.

Spiderman 05-01-2009 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by untouchable (Post 14508906)
wow protoss shut the **** up you freak.

vawlk 05-01-2009 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by {X}Hitman (Post 14508386)

If ZP were on that show, I think I would pay for pay-per-view.

Fireman X 05-01-2009 17:36

this is great and all, but you would really be a winner in my book if I had a blood eagle ring.

Wufei 05-01-2009 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZProtoss (Post 14508100)
I think the most hilarious part about this show was some of the 1 on 1 commentary to the camera. In some cases I couldn't tell if people were just saying **** for show, or if they actually believed the bull**** that they were spewing.

One of the main offenders would have to be Jamal with his constant "I'm the best all around gamer in the world" business.

It's like hey, you're one of a dozen people who auditioned for a crappy reality TV show about games and got picked - this does not mean that you're anywhere near good enough to make ridiculous claims like that.

Personally, I'd love to see someone get onto season 2 that has massive amounts of raw talent at games in general. I'm pretty sure if they got someone like Justin Wong on the show, not only would he destroy everyone in fighting games, but he'd probably beat a good deal of people at their self proclaimed specialities as well.

You're also not considering that there were physical challenges involved as well. Those played a BIG part in the game. If you took a real Starcraft beast or even those halo nerds and threw them into the karate challenge, what do you think is going to happen?

Obviously they didn't pick the most talented players in each field, but they did pick a wide variety of gamers with some proof of previous skill. It's more about just being good at one game, it's about being good at gaming in general. Obviously, sexysauce proved that he is the best all-around gamer from that group.

And if you don't believe that it's worth anything, just play his *****-ass boxer in SF4.

Technetium 05-01-2009 17:57

yeah where the **** is my ring

i was his IRL friend when he was making them and even saw a few, never got one though :(

I think he offered me one back then but I didn't have the monies

Noumenon 05-01-2009 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZProtoss (Post 14508152)
Who in the cast would you consider as having a notable achievement? The only thing that really stands out is the guy who won the 2007 WCG SC in the US region, but that's somewhat dulled when you consider the fact that in 2007 the US didn't really field many serious players to begin with.

Everyone else besides that guy did absolutely nothing that was notable, at least nothing that even remotely justified some of the **** talk that was being thrown out. Lets review the the list -

1 guy who played in competition for a fighting game that the fighting game community sees as trash (as far as the real competitive fighting games go, he's not terrible by any means, but he's also no where near the level that people like Wong/Daigo/etc are at)
1 girl who's only claim to fame was being mediocore at guitar hero style games.
1 guy who played for mid level CS teams at best.
1 guy who went on a similar tv show in the past
4 women who have the honor of being in all girl clans that have never been remotely competitive in anything ever.
1 guy who was pretty good (not top but decent) at SC
1 guy who was able to beat the rest of his frat in Madden (lol)
1 guy who is a low level QA staffer
1 guy who played at a medium level on a league that's TWL caliber or worse (note - that's an insult given that TWL is basically garbage in every non tribes game).

In short, everyone they picked (with the exception of the SC guy), are people who are completely unknown in their respective communities. They didn't go out of their way to pick people with actual fame, rather they went for people that could fit certain images that they wanted on their show.

If the producers weren't concerned with getting the proper images/gender count ratio, they probably could have gotten a list of 12 people or so that were all mostly known and respected within their genres.

I think the reasons you won't see really OUTSTANDING video game players on a television show that wants ratings is because people like that are generally really boring because all they do is play video games and recede into their basement when dawn breaks. I'm sure there are some blessed with the talent and personality but they're probably making decent money as a professional videogamer or some other **** that requires talking to people.

So yes, they went for people with personalities rather than for being known in their game circles for being the best at a particular game.

This guy needs to go on a show. So we can all wonder how his parents let him get this ****ed up. Ulillillia City - version 6.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25bjSoyXlw0

ayz 05-01-2009 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wufei (Post 14509799)
You're also not considering that there were physical challenges involved as well. Those played a BIG part in the game. If you took a real Starcraft beast or even those halo nerds and threw them into the karate challenge, what do you think is going to happen?

Obviously they didn't pick the most talented players in each field, but they did pick a wide variety of gamers with some proof of previous skill. It's more about just being good at one game, it's about being good at gaming in general. Obviously, sexysauce proved that he is the best all-around gamer from that group.

And if you don't believe that it's worth anything, just play his *****-ass boxer in SF4.

i **** up his boxer in sf4 sup

JoMo 05-01-2009 19:06

Don't die.

AT 603 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 3 MILES NORTH OF FAYETTEVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 15 MPH.

m00g00 05-01-2009 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noumenon (Post 14509842)
This guy needs to go on a show. So we can all wonder how his parents let him get this ****ed up. Ulillillia City - version 6.1

oh.

my.

god.

Travace 05-01-2009 21:43

congrats on the win.

braski 05-01-2009 22:54

goddamn

Due to a severe limitation with transportation (care to pay $56 to go swimming at the YMCA or $40 to go bowling for just one measely game?), I otherwise cannot do anything without having to pay a lot for a taxi. Although I do occasionally get to go out and I take almost every chance I can, but it's almost always for grocery shopping and very rarely anything else. Even if it means having to stay awake for 30 hours to go to a place 200 miles away and back again, I'd do it and I've done it (in May of 2006 - see my blog for details). Considering it's been over 6 1/2 years since I last had a vacation (this was before my website even existed), I have no idea what I'm missing out on because of these issues.

TheAnk 05-02-2009 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexPistol (Post 14506098)
yeah Ank I won, and Broke, that is one of the best parts. Kept my mom guessing all the way until the end hahaha :]

funk if you are american they are on hulu

****in grats bro. did u ever tap ciji?

Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page