TribalWar Forums

TribalWar Forums (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/index.php)
-   World of Warcraft (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   Assassin/Thief build (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205245)

cancer 04-09-2003 00:46

Assassin/Thief build

the point of this thread is to address issues concerning the best stats/skills for a build, not address just my problems so in the future we don't have 20 threads on the same topic "how to help my "class name here"

i'll start off

my lvl 18 irekei sin sucks. he is too damn weak and can't figure out how to get him to hit harder...each hit averages between 10-20, i can get 20+ but i don't get the double hit often...it's usually only 1 hit.

max dex at 135
two pretty weak daggers though one is 3-8 (+2 min damage) and the other is 3-14

i tried adding 5str but it didn't really give a noticable improvement
dagger skill is at 65 but i can raise it..i have over 60skill points

maybe a good place to buy daggers?
someone already mentioned vorringard

Error|550 04-09-2003 01:41

For all Rogue classes: Max INT, then DEX, then CON.

You can thank me later.

cancer 04-09-2003 04:22

heh

i bought a hunting sax and upped my dagger to 89...basically fixed my whole damage problem. i had a 3-8 katar +2 to max damage that was slowing me down. maxing int right now :)

i'm dualing 20+/20+ right now

any preferences for order of skill mastering?

since i'm maxed out on daggers i'm going to go light armor, dodge, sneak, backstab

when you sneak it's like moving while invis right? if that's the case, what's hide for other than remaining stationary?

BLiSTeD 04-09-2003 09:00

hide evades you from more,
sneak is seen by more people than you think
scouts can pick up on sneak pretty easy. on the other hand hide allows you faster invis's and if the scout or person looking for you skill in detect hidden isnt higher they can walk right over you and not see ya. Got me out of numerous problems.

Error|550 04-09-2003 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cancer
any preferences for order of skill mastering?

I'm doing Dagger Mastery, Run, Hide, Peak, Sneak, Steal and Backstab. I don't really have a current "order of priority" although Run and Hide are up near the top.

I've currently got 103 in Daggers so I can't increase that one at all. Dagger Mastery is only at 73% so that has some room to grow, but it's an expensive skill to train in just now.

cancer 04-09-2003 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by borlaK

so.. I'm ignoring int, unless something with my figuring is wrong. I left out dodge, since I have read that it isn't anything great. and after making a character with 95% block, and barely blocking without using the block buff, I figure it's not worth it. scouts need stamina bad, and evade buff uses too much, and doens't last long enough.

i thought increase in dodge/evade skills would help you dodge more without the buffs =\

MeSlayer 04-09-2003 17:32

So what you are saying is that the skills block and dodge don't do anything in of themselves, but the powers they give you can buff up that certain ability?

Seems a weird way to go about it, cuz I have my dodge at like 65% and have never used the evasion skill :/

MaD_ReBeL 04-09-2003 19:10

Quote:

you get 1% in all skills for every 7 points of int

elves start with 50 (well, 55, but I did -5 at start)
is +7% in your skills worth 50 stat points? up to you, for me, I want max con and dex ;) I'll have 200 dex, putting the rest in con

kind of doing this as a test, as well, going extreme dex, ignoring int for the most part

one thing you can do later on is get +int items.. rings etc. just have to plan everything very carefully, since if you plan to go this route, GM'ing skills will be wasting points

--
as a scout.. my main skills are bow/archery/light armor/running/hide/sneak/detect. i'm not sure how bow mastery works, if it's a seperate skill, or just archery

over levels 1-10 you get 40 practices. levels 21-60 you get 400 more. 440 total. GM hide/sneak/detect = 120. 320 left. lets keep it simple and say you start with all 20% skills, first 10 trains you get 2% (running is way diff, you get 4%, then 2%, but w/e). so I can get to 40% in running/armor/bow/archery for 40 trains. 280 left. I probably want 100 in all of those, so that's 60 each = 240. 40 left. whatever left I'll probably put in athletics, but that skill is gimped right now :\ some of the figuring is probably off too, as I don't think you start with 20%.. more like 10 or 15, but not sure about rogues :x

so.. I'm ignoring int, unless something with my figuring is wrong. I left out dodge, since I have read that it isn't anything great. and after making a character with 95% block, and barely blocking without using the block buff, I figure it's not worth it. scouts need stamina bad, and evade buff uses too much, and doens't last long enough.
----
and on to your original question!
damage...

all dex based for daggers/bows
higher dex is more damage, but so is skill. you need to train your skill up. magic daggers will also help. but besides that, don't expect to do damage. that is for warriors :) compare yourself to other rogues

but its not 7 INT for 1 point raised. I watched very carefully with my recent templar and every 5 points was boosting the skills by 1%. So for classes that depend or get alot out of focus skills this is HUGE because you can save as much as 9-10 points per focus skill. If im worried about Armor, main focus skill, Base weapon skill, Mastery of weapon skill, and in some rouges cases parry, dodge, run etc.. Then you save 40 or more skill points that you could use to GM either another base skill or another discipline's skill.

Putting points in CON really doesnt get you much IMO. I recently had 20 points just sitting and said fecc it an applied all 20 to con on my thief which i was planningon having 60 CON anyways. Id did very little. I can survive 1 more Shot from a barb and maybe a few seconds longer against a mage. The real benefit was stamina though. So at lvl 60 i think my HP and stamina will be just right.

Trying to pump CON to compensate for your class' lack of CON will lose you more in the long run IMO. All those points could have gone into INT and save you skill points which in turn give you access to skills that will either allow you to deal more damage or avoid more damage which IMO gives you better survival chanes than more CON.

just my $.02

p.s. the above is for non CON based classes. Tanks SHOULD pump con but they should **** SPI and DEX. Rouges for the most part should **** STR and SPI focusing on INT and DEX use any left over points for CON.

MaD_ReBeL 04-09-2003 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeSlayer
So what you are saying is that the skills block and dodge don't do anything in of themselves, but the powers they give you can buff up that certain ability?

Seems a weird way to go about it, cuz I have my dodge at like 65% and have never used the evasion skill :/

as i understand it the 'skill' block is more or less analogous to the armor skills. It allows you to equip high end shields. The power block is applied to your shields blocking ability i think.

So a 25% chance to block shield with 100% applied to block would be a 50% chance to block i think.

Parry on the other hand i dont know about. Surely your percentage in the parry skill directly applies to your ability to parry an attack. But like most of the numbers with this game this formula isnt posted anywhere that i know of.

MaD_ReBeL 04-10-2003 13:05

Quote:

damn, I was off by practice points, by a lot.. haha
from that guys scout guide:
Level 2-10: 36 points
Level 11-59: 490 points
Total Practice Points: 526 points

that leaves me even more.. so the only reason I see to take intelligence would be for ATR, which may be a very good idea...

well, INT as already stated helps the focus skills. Mages benefit the most, thieves and warriors a close second due to all their focus skills.

Remember, all the skill points that you save can go towards either more skills or rune skills to give you even more powers.

You can argue that the points spent on INT would be better spent to max out your primary skill. i think there is some serious diminishing returns with this mentality though.

Example

After taking a rune at creation my limit for STR is 150. I plan to max out my STR at 150. But, if i were so inclined i could aquire a godly STR rune and push my max up to 190. I would need 46 stat points to do that though. Is the difference between 150 and 190 STR really that useful? Would i be better server to put those 46 points into INT and saving myself skill points that could be spent on say wings of seraphim which when GMd gives me +75 to STR, CON, and SPI?

I think having extremely strong skills is far more important that having great stats.

Just my $.02 though. Ive only really done 2 class types so i cant speak for all classes.

Maniacal 04-10-2003 17:09

heh

my 31 scout is about average in strength (compared to other scouts ive seen of about that level)

but i rerolled a new scout, using what i learned from the last...and level 14 he is not as strong as my first, but i hes closing in quick, and i can see he will be much better...

i realize that doesnt help you, just sharing my own rerolling xp

ps. vorringard is really cool, actually... a bit smaller, but the areas around it are not nearly as overpopulated as those around kc and khar ;o

MaD_ReBeL 04-10-2003 18:01

Quote:

difference between 150 and 190 str is a lot, depending on what weapon you use
every 4 points is +1 damage, that's +10damage
and while not as important, str helps you carry more :)

it may also affect your ATR w/that weapon, and will help you train to a higher % in STR-related skills

the formula me and my bro have come up with is.. skill stat/6+60+int = max %

he was trying to get his axe skill to 100%, at trainers everyone was telling him would get him to 100%, but he could only train up to 96%

his int is 15.. his str is 120. so thats 120/6 (20) + 15 + 60 = 95

now we don't know the formula is 100% accurate, but it's the best we could come up with. I have yet to reach any training cap on my crit -- my sundancer has 130+ unarmed and he has crappy int.. but not as bad as my brother ;) he's going to train int and str some tonight to test it, see if we can't figure out the exact formula

also, not everyone gets nice +75 buff spells :p

it's obvious shadowbane is not simple and there is no one way to create your character, which is what makes it so appealing ;) so far it's very well balanced and there are no holes

my point was that you have to weigh the pros and cons.

clearly 190 str is better than 150. But, is the loss of 46 stat points for the benefit of 40 more str really that important to my char considering i get a +75 buff later in the game? also, are those 46 points PLUS the +75 buff that much better and or usefull than say 1 more GMd skill?

Im sure ever class has a simliar quandary ;).

vivrant 04-25-2003 19:30

i didnt read everything, but i see yall talkin about str...
hopefully that is not about a theif or assassin since daggers are dex/int based not str...
with my guy (irekei assassin)i got taught by master theif, raised by thieves guild, and lightning reflexes at the start i believe. my dex is at 150 and im workin on gettin my int up, but ive been throwin points into con also. i hit for 50's with each hand most of the time at 35. and if you are an assassin dagger mastery is nice but once you get shadow daggers it doesnt help since they use shadow mastery.