Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Window

Veteran X
Looking to start a new fantasy (sword & spell type) or sci-fi novel/series. I've read and loved a lot of previous recommendations from TW:

A song of ice & fire series (wtf is the next book?)
name of the wind
ender's game
Best Served Cold
Dune
Most everything by R.A. Salvatore

What else out there is worth a read? It's hard to pick from the 100's of random authors.

There is this one series.... some kid who is in like a wizard school, heard it was all the rage

Dresden Files - I'm up to book 9 I think now and I've read through them pretty quickly. First book is called Storm Front.

I've always heard good things about the Wheel of Time series but never actually read it myself.

Last edited:
Honor Harrington series by David Weber
I think it starts with On Basilisk Station

David Weber looks exactly like I imagined he would look:
800px-David_and_Sharon_Weber_at_CONduit_17.png

Also his scifi/fantasy blend series that starts with Off Armageddon Reef is pretty good, too.

Dresden Files - I'm up to book 9 I think now and I've read through them pretty quickly. First book is called Storm Front.

I've always heard good things about the Wheel of Time series but never actually read it myself.

Dresden files looks interesting, different type of setting than i'm used to, will give it a try

I'd recommend the other Joe Abercrombie First Law books (he wrote Best Served Cold). I read a neat book called Heroes Die that is a pretty good sci fi/fantasy hybrid. I'm on the sequel now but it's definitely a step down.

Piling on the Malazan. I've sadly only gotten the first one done so far but really enjoyed it. I look forward to getting deeper into it.

Back