Holy fucking shit, as if I needed any more reasons to stay out of the US

What doesn't kill me makes me stronger.
Shutup you weak EU
It does kill you though. 450 a year. Like, literally someone dies every day because heaven forfend corporations have standards ENFORCED on them by the EVIL GOVERNMENT.

This is clearly the superior option, right?

BE SCARED!

Don't worry about context of any sort or that the accompanying voice over doesn't actually address any of the underlying reasons just pay attention to the scary and gross imagery we're pumping into your brain.

THE EU IS GOOD!

It does kill you though. 450 a year. Like, literally someone dies every day because heaven forfend corporations have standards ENFORCED on them by the EVIL GOVERNMENT.

You're 30 times more likely to get shot dead. I'd go for the eat fucking everything buffet given those odds.

I can't think of any reason why a country with 6x the population and produces 20x the amount of food might have more food related diseases. It's a mystery that we may never solve.

I can't think of any reason why a country with 6x the population and produces 20x the amount of food might have more food related diseases. It's a mystery that we may never solve.
450:0

Seems to be more than 6 times the difference to me.

so.... their citation in the vid description does not claim 0 deaths in 2016. it claims 77 deaths due to salmonella in england and wales in 2008. it's also comparing rigorous data from the cdc which covers ALL foodborne illness to a "strategy" pamphlet by the UK food standards agency that covers 6 pathogens.

from the CDC study:
Studies estimating the overall number of foodborne illnesses have been conducted in England and Wales and in Australia (23,24). Similar to our findings, in Australia norovirus was the leading cause of foodborne illness, accounting for 30% of illnesses caused by known pathogens. In England and Wales, norovirus accounted for only 8% of known foodborne illnesses; however, stool sample reexamination using molecular techniques documented higher rates (18).

whoops, looks like they even pointed out highly suspect data likely behind whatever created that pamphlet LOOOOOL

That doesn't surprise me.

pop of england & wales: 56 million
estimated foodborne disease: 1 million
pop of US: 330 million
estimated foodborne disease: 47 million

clearly this is not about methodology but that the US has to be bigger and better at everything including catching disease by an order of magnitude

Do americans consume 20 times more food than british people?

I mean, it wouldn't surprise me, but I just want to make sure.

No, but more food production means a higher likelihood of foodborne illnesses. It's harder to maintain standards, and even if you've established strict guidelines an illness has a greater chance of infecting more people quickly in a larger population should one begin to spread. This isn't complicated.

Back