As requested...I'm Smiling Canadian AMA (almost)

I am going to assume that the work in Africa was PMC related?

Of all the places you have been, where was the most 'frightening'? I can only imagine working in the jungle but was it really as crazy as we read about? I mean, at least from what you saw.

The French do a lot of things in Africa. Lots of African countries were French colonies. Legion is very active all over Africa. Jungle shit was not that bad for me. It was just like hunting with my Grandfather. For me the most frightening thing was the first time moving on an actual high jacked aircraft. The fear of killing an innocent person can be very overwhelming.

You say you got your leg blown up in Somolia. Are you an amputee or physically disabled? How did you get blown up?

They managed to fix it up pretty well. Metal plates and rods in my lower left leg and 2 huge plates in my upper left leg. Got caught in the blast from an RPG.

Cut or uncut?

cut

Did you end up with any drug addictions?

Alcohol for a while but tamed that fucker a long time ago.

did you already fuck the tire shop girl?

if you didn't, would you go fuck her if your wife said it's okay or if she died?

war is hell, but contact was a mother was the quote i couldnt find

so you were hit before 26th got rocked?

sorry if my timeline is wrong

incredible regardless

war is hell, but contact was a mother was the quote i couldnt find

so you were hit before 26th got rocked?

sorry if my timeline is wrong

incredible regardless

I took a round through my thigh the morning of Jan 21 when the NVA were probing the wire. They evaced me on the 25th I think and after I got checked out and cleaned up we couldn't get back to Khe Sanh because Tet was well under way so I got sent to Hue instead.

I have this weird thing for veterans, particularly combat veterans.

I don't feel sorry for them for their war experiences, or for "seeing some fucked up shit", or in the case of Vietnam veterans getting treated disgracefully by civilians when they came home, etc... all of that is certainly fucked up and all, but where I genuinely feel sorry for them is... god damn, life as a civilian must be absolutely, utterly boring and mundane after having those experiences. I mean... all that other stuff you can come to terms with and put behind you, but how the hell do you go from jumping into combat zones or whatever to like... driving a bulldozer or something, and not just completely lose your mind from utter boredom?

Am I totally way off on that? Or is that a difficult thing like I think it is?

Last edited:
did you ever get that copy of The Phantom Blooper? :)

also you never blessed us with a pic bro

Do you suffer from PTSD? (I hope not).
If yes, how do you handle it and how does your family and coworkers handle it?

I knew a former Legionnaire once when I was in my late teens. He passed 1992 at the age of 77 so you probably haven't met him. He had done a lot of jobs in Africa, especially North African Atlas and Rif mountains. He said that the best warriors he had met and worked with were the Senegalese. Would you agree to that?

I took a round through my thigh the morning of Jan 21 when the NVA were probing the wire. They evaced me on the 25th I think and after I got checked out and cleaned up we couldn't get back to Khe Sanh because Tet was well under way so I got sent to Hue instead.

jesus christ

interesting question maybe

think it was luckier to get hit before the siege?

Back