Have ya ever met a happy atheist?

An atheist is someone without religion

Any religion

Norse, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Shinto, it doesn't matter

They all call their God God too

Fair enough. I don't know much about the other gods. I only know the story of god, the father of jesus christ. The only book I know credited to that god is the bible

atheists usually don't mind muslims at all

they just hate the christian god with a passion

I actually hate sand niggers for their actions. I don't hate you or a fictional character. That's like saying I hate Santa Claus

You're kinda... nuts. :nuts:

But anyway, I never cited the Bible as a source for anything. Personally I think the Bible is a convoluted and misconstrued pain in the ass, but definitely has some great parables in it. But so do Grimm's Fairy Tales too. So... I don't consider the Bible to be anything more than what it is - a book, written over thousands of years, by men interpreting things, which has some great parts, but a lot of "wtf" too.

Also, Jesus is mentioned in more than just the Bible. He's in the Koran and in historical records from Israel and Rome, etc. So it's safe to say he was an actual historical figure at the very least.

I happen to like Jesus and think he was a standup dude. I don't believe in SuperJesus, with a red "J" on his chest, walking on water and acting like the Miracle Caterer making sandwiches appear out of the abyss, but as a dude, he was righteous. And since I prefer to follow the teachings of Christ, that makes me a "Christian" I guess.

But it's irrelevant anyway because the thread wasn't even about Jesus or any particular religion, or even religion in general. It was about atheists being pretty miserable people, only it took a turn into debating the entire concept of God, or as I like to term it, a higher power. Which you and others claim doesn't exist because it can't be proven in a laboratory, and for 20 some-odd pages I've argued the point that, just because it can't be duplicated in a laboratory or "proven" with science, it doesn't mean that it does not exist.

"Religion" and "spirituality" are not synonymous.

God and science are not mutually exclusive.

U will find most gods have a pretty typical story regardless of what shitholr middle eastern country it originated from thousands of years ago

Tl;Dr someone said that a special being who created everyone and every thing has this really bitchin place for you to go after you die(aka something that happens to every single person) and to get into this sweet party you need to follow the rules that they told a guy who supposedly woke up human one day and Oracle of the gods the next, otherwise you will spend all of eternity suffering for not following said rules that came out of another human being

Probably because all of the (militant) athiests you come into contact with come from a country where Christianity is the predominant religion and it's a reaction to that

I would wager that atheists in Iran or Iraq probably seem to only hate the Muslim God much more than the christian one for the same reason

Also it's hard to hate a thing you don't really believe in, it's more the hate of dogmatic practices that are pushed on them by believers

i would just like everyone to respectfully agree to disagree. i won't push my beliefs on you, and you won't try to push me to not believe in anything. i think that would be the best way to live. i say christmas, you say holiday, whatever, live and let live. sometimes some places will be more populated with believers, some places won't, if you can't handle the local population majority doing what they do, believing or not believing, move, or go on about your business and ignore it.

It was about atheists being pretty miserable people, only it took a turn into debating the entire concept of God, or as I like to term it, a higher power. Which you and others claim doesn't exist because it can't be proven in a laboratory, and for 20 some-odd pages I've argued the point that, just because it can't be duplicated in a laboratory or "proven" with science, it doesn't mean that it does not exist.
I'm not going to speak for others, but I never claimed that a god or higher power does not exist. My question to you is, and continues to be, do we have any good reasons to believe that a god exists?

You have yet to present one.

i would just like everyone to respectfully agree to disagree. i won't push my beliefs on you, and you won't try to push me to not believe in anything. i think that would be the best way to live. i say christmas, you say holiday, whatever, live and let live. sometimes some places will be more populated with believers, some places won't, if you can't handle the local population majority doing what they do, believing or not believing, move, or go on about your business and ignore it.

I got no problem with that. I am a happy dude

If you knew for a fact that people around you are believing things for demonstrably bad reasons, would you rather they carry on doing so? Or would you help them cultivate a demonstrably better way of thinking?

So my last verse for this thread.. then I am done. Not meant at anyone.. just 1 I thought of

Matthew 26:34 King James Version (KJV)

34 Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

That would only matter if the god we are talking about is the god of the bible..

and it was a true story

I'm not going to speak for others, but I never claimed that a god or higher power does not exist. My question to you is, and continues to be, do we have any good reasons to believe that a god exists?

You have yet to present one.

Because you keep pointing to a test tube, which for the 10 thousandth time is not applicable as a proving medium, and it's the only medium you will accept.

Kinda... kills the whole conversation there, don't it.

If you knew for a fact that people around you are believing things for demonstrably bad reasons, would you rather they carry on doing so? Or would you help them cultivate a demonstrably better way of thinking?

are you making the argument that good christians should help witches, satanists, and heathens cultivate a demonstrably better way of thinking?

Because you keep pointing to a test tube, which for the 10 thousandth time is not applicable as a proving medium, and it's the only medium you will accept.

Kinda... kills the whole conversation there, don't it.
It is for the thing that you said is equivalent.

Is it not equivalent afterall?

Just don't forget about the "demonstrably" part.

i'd say having a nation that was founded on christian values that has lasted this long and has been a good nation is a good demonstration. and to see that it's failing fast because the christian values of it's citizens are waning, well, that's another good demonstration. :shrug:

when it relates to progressives yeah there is definitely an abundance of hypocrisy.

take someone like sam harris who has written a few books regarding christianity or western religion but the minute he started talking about islam he's labelled an islamaphobe

Back