America: The no-vacation nation.

you've misunderstood him

although he may try to backpedal now

he was saying "well we're not so bad, we're still just as good as europe you see, it's a TRADEOFF"

which is dead wrong

Yes I completely ignored anything in his posts beyond the pure literal interpretation that there exists a tradeoff between benefits and income. I do my best to not read into the psychological pathologies behind posts on the internet.

In completely anecdotal evidence to support that their exists a trade off between benefits and income, I could get another job in my field and have had the chance to do so where I would have had an increase of pay from 15-20% but I would lose that rather plush benefits package I have now. I decided that the extra money wasn't worth it to me and stayed at my current employer.

I used to never take my full vacation time. As I've gotten older, I just say screw it and take my vacation. I typically schedule a couple months ahead. If they can't work around it, that's their problem.

I've already booked off my summer vacation, my October vacation, Christmas and skiing for New Year. Forward plannng FTW. And yeah, if shit falls over while i'm gone, it falls over. I'll rebuild it when I get back, or get another job.

All of it is a by-product of policies that encourage extreme corporate efficiency. Sadly, many companies get efficient to the point that the old adage of, "If we can survive without you for two weeks, then we don't need you at all" rings true in most corporate environments.

The other issue is that lack of vacation policy disproportionately hits the few intelligent people who occupy any sort of corporate environment. In a lot of jobs, (if you're intelligent), it's very easy to work yourself into the position of being "the guy" in where everything collapses without you. The good part? You're less likely to get fired. The bad part? Lots of stress and vacations can only come when the company is in a slow period.

TLDR: Companies create policies that emphasize efficiency. As a result, there's no redundancy that can cover for you when you're gone. Gone for two weeks = might as well be gone forever.

we're a nation of spineless morons run by spineless morons who are run by corporate greed fuck sticks

and no one can change it :bigthumb:

You can, Goshin. You can.

Move away. Move far away.

eh, that was my plan before i got into a career and bought a house and car payments and blah blah blah

sucks

sell house

sell car

etc.
:signed:

You're like, 24, man. If you don't want to be nailed down to a boring life in a retarded country then get rid of that worthless shit and do whatever the hell you want.

i get 15 days of paid vacation and 5 days of paid sick leave, on top of the normal 10 holidays

have only used 3 days so far and i only have plans to use 2 over christmas, i think im going to start taking every other friday off

i can't tell if that's supposed to be a joke because i know a ton of people who work like that in finance or corporate sales

Enact a law that requires employers to provide adequate vacation time. A month's worth of vacation, for every employee, would increase work-flow - 10 fold. People wouldn't always be so miserable. Asking for a day off shouldn't be the precursor to signing your pink-slip. Pathetic.

I proposed a 35 hour work week in our contract negotiations (down from 37.5) which would give management a lot of leeway for raises and benefits. I was amazed at how employees hated the idea...they preferred working longer rather than shorter, for exactly the same money, I couldn't even get them to consider it. Also, adding the day after Thanksgiving to the vacation schedule got a huge yawn.

Enact a law that requires employers to provide adequate vacation time. A month's worth of vacation, for every employee, would increase work-flow - 10 fold. People wouldn't always be so miserable. Asking for a day off shouldn't be the precursor to signing your pink-slip. Pathetic.

This, America. Except for the 10-fold bit, that's OTT. But certainly a workforce that has ample opportunity to recharge batteries for 4-6 weeks annually would increase the productivity of the USA entirely.

And please don't anyone come in here and tell me how productive the USA is relative to some fucking table someone dreamt up, there are many factors influencing that, of which the work-life balance of the workforce is only one. There is always room for improvement.

As I will be starting my own biz semi shortly I plan on incorporating the "against the norm" work week. I can not afford to have google's complex self run city but you can do many things to increase productivity such as have 4 hour work days, long vacation schedules etc. There have been numerous studies on how increased productivity was under those environments but America as a whole is stuck into the stereo-type 5 day work week, 40 hours a day norm, Past few of my jobs I could have easily worked remote but owners were like hamsters counting peanuts daily so they needed to walk and see you glued to your chair.

This, America. Except for the 10-fold bit, that's OTT. But certainly a workforce that has ample opportunity to recharge batteries for 4-6 weeks annually would increase the productivity of the USA entirely.

And please don't anyone come in here and tell me how productive the USA is relative to some fucking table someone dreamt up, there are many factors influencing that, of which the work-life balance of the workforce is only one. There is always room for improvement.

(from the OP)

"There is simply no evidence that working people to death gives you a competitive advantage," said John de Graaf, the national coordinator for Take Back Your Time, a group that researches the effects of overwork.
He noted that the United States came in fourth in the World Economic Forum's 2010-2011 rankings of the most competitive economies, but Sweden -- a country that by law offers workers five weeks of paid vacation -- came in second.

(from the OP)

1) What's your point? (assuming you have one)

2) If your point is dependent upon an expectation that, knowing that I know what a :ftard: you are, I would have read your wall of text in the OP, then you probably need to realign your expectations.

Back