Top Secret Clearance.

Like everyone said your company has to sponsor you, takes months to over a year depending on the backlog. Cost can be well over 100 thousand dollars.

my dad had it. then, once he left the natl. lab where he worked, he wasn't allowed to visit certain countries for several years. maybe still. he worked on a project that they used to study/develop the conventional explosive lens design in h-bomb primaries.

he could also beat up your dad...

my dad had it. then, once he left the natl. lab where he worked, he wasn't allowed to visit certain countries for several years. maybe still. he worked on a project that they used to study/develop the conventional explosive lens design in h-bomb primaries.

he could also beat up your dad...

Oh yeah? My dad knew who really killed kennedy.....and what went down in Roswell.

Gotta kill a few people, then you got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs. So you can see who's sneaking up on you in the dark.

Apparently I can't get a clearance job because I have been convicted of assaulting a debt collector who let himself into my house at 9:00 pm while he was looking for my neighbor.

credit/debt issues, arrests, documented drug use, or a lot of out of the country travel will make getting a clearance hard :(

you guys with TS - did you have to do a polygraph?

I'm confused about what does and doesn't require a polygraph... although to be fair I'm not sure of what all the levels are... i know there's secret and TS, and i remember seeing SCI?

Like everyone said your company has to sponsor you, takes months to over a year depending on the backlog. Cost can be well over 100 thousand dollars.

The backlog right now varies by agency, but should take no longer than 90 days to complete the background + adjudication at this point. Cases sometimes took a year to complete about 3 yrs ago but that is no longer the case. Also the cost to run a TS background is about 4-6k, possibly up to 10k but no where near 100k.

I'm confused about what does and doesn't require a polygraph... although to be fair I'm not sure of what all the levels are... i know there's secret and TS, and i remember seeing SCI?

A polygraph is not a routine part of the background investigation, but is a requirement for certain agencies/positions.

Good luck getting answers. No one talks about what they haven't seen or done.

Sir, I am unaware of any such operation, or activity....nor would I be disposed to discuss such operation If it did in fact exist....Sir.

Apparently I can't get a clearance job because I have been convicted of assaulting a debt collector who let himself into my house at 9:00 pm while he was looking for my neighbor.

You can get "a clearance job" even with the conviction. It all depends on the job and the level of clearance needed. There are many factors in the adjudication process (I'm not familiar with all the details of the adjudication process). Is it felony assault? Is it recent?

Originally, no, I didn't need to undergo a polygraph test, but for a specifc job I filled in Iraq I needed to go through (and pass) a counterintel polygraph. Once you have it, though, it's good for a couple years.

And, you're right, S and TS are levels of clearance and the SCI/G/HCS/ are all caveats to it. Add-ons if you will depending on what's necessary for your job.

The backlog right now varies by agency, but should take no longer than 90 days to complete the background + adjudication at this point. Cases sometimes took a year to complete about 3 yrs ago but that is no longer the case. Also the cost to run a TS background is about 4-6k, possibly up to 10k but no where near 100k.

My number may be high but it absolutely way more more tha 4-6k especially when you have a slightly challenging investigation. the cost is why a lot of companies will not sponsor a new investigation when they can poach government people or military that already have active clearances. The cost is in the manpower to process the applications, adudication and the investigation process. it costs a lot of money to send the agents out to talk to friends, family, neighbors. When you throw in a poly, it goes up even higher.

Maybe a confidential or secret clearance is cheap becasue they just do an electronic search to see if you popped up on any databases, but a TS requires a lot of manpower and cost.

Back