Fallout 3 = Oblivion with guns

ESM = Elder Scrolls Master

If you're going to spend two years telling the world that you definitely are not creating Oblivion with guns, then you might want to consider, oh, you know, making a tiny change to the very first thing that many people see when starting the game that suggests otherwise.

It shows how little work they did on the backend of it. It is essentially a standalone mod.

Seriously have you even fucking played it yet? Or did you install it and notice that a lot was in common with oblivion.

If you delve deeper into the game you will realize it is much much better then oblivion. It has a deep story with lots of sidequests that have their own lore attached to them. It really is an amazing game.

Also, I can't believe you're bitching about the file extensions. They could be .fart for all I care. If the game was more like Fallout it wouldn't matter what the extensions were.
Holy shit.

Why is this point sailing over peoples' heads?

I'm not "bitching."

The point is that IT LITERALLY IS OBLIVION WITH A FACELIFT. SAME ENGINE. SAME MECHANICS. SAME SCRIPTING LANGUAGE. SAME EVERYTHING. THIS IS WHAT WE CAN GARNER FROM THE FACT THAT THE GAME DATA IS CONTAINED WITHIN AN ELDER SCROLLS MASTER FILE. THIS MEANS THAT BETHESDA LIED.

Holy shit.

Why is this point sailing over peoples' heads?

I'm not "bitching."

The point is that IT LITERALLY IS OBLIVION WITH A FACELIFT. SAME ENGINE. SAME MECHANICS. SAME SCRIPTING LANGUAGE. SAME EVERYTHING. THIS IS WHAT WE CAN GARNER FROM THE FACT THAT THE GAME DATA IS CONTAINED WITHIN AN ELDER SCROLLS MASTER FILE. THIS MEANS THAT BETHESDA LIED.

It isnt the same game though. The VATS system is great and adds turn based combat to the game. The interface through the pipboy is fantastic. The lore strewn across the game is immense. Random shit happens all the time. The scripting is MUCH MUCH better then oblivion.

Yes it uses the same engine. But its not the same game as oblivion.

Tahnit has clearly never played a single Elder Scrolls game.

Or a turn-based game for that matter.

Probably because Id and EA have never put any out.

I like the game for what it is. It's fun. But it's no Fallout.
I'm not willing to go that far yet, but I can definitely agree that it is no Fallout.

I currently feel that it reaches the level of mediocre if judged on its own.
I'll give it another day or two before passing final judgment.

Tahnit has clearly never played a single Elder Scrolls game.

Or a turn-based game for that matter.

Probably because Id and EA have never put any out.

Actually yes i have. Try again. I played daggerfall, morrowind and oblivion.

I was more aiming at pc as the personal computer we (or kids nowdays anyway) now know it. (no 386 or amiga)
If I remember correctly I had a pentium 100 with 32mb edo ram. (and a voddo banshee, great card altho noone liked it) Not many ppl had one back then.

What wut?

Last edited:
Fallout 3 isn't Fallout in the same way that T:V wasn't Tribes.While playing F3, you get the feeling that Bethesda didn't get the "Fallout feel" in exactly the same way that Irrational failed to capture the "Tribes feel" in T:V.

I was more aiming at pc as the personal computer we (or kids nowdays anyway) now know it. (no 386 or amiga)
If I remember correctly I had a pentium 100 with 32mb edo ram. (and a voddo banshee, great card altho noone liked it) Not many ppl had one back then.

What wut?

Fallout 1 came out in 1997. Gaming PCs were common as fuck at the time.

Fallout 1 came out in 1997. Gaming PCs were common as fuck at the time.

I remember the '95-'96'-'97 as the time that pc's became common in non-pc shops. Not that many ppl actually had one.
Nevertheless, the '90s started gaming legacies. Ultima (online), C&C, crusader no remorse/regret, etc.

its a shame, you missed out

im not quite sure they hold up well today, other than replaying for nostalgia :shrug:
It's hard to say. They did a lot of things extremely well that have not been done since. The only thing that's really out of date is the visuals imo. If they actually finished Van Buren and stayed true to the look and feel of all the previous Fallout predecessors, I can't help but feel it would be one of the greatest games ever made.

I'm not sure who I hate more for ruining that though... Bethesda or Interplay.

Back