Do fruit flies like poop?

Pages : [1] 2

Brasstax
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Ok. Here's the thing. I really wanted to know the answer to this question. So I did an experiment in the backyard. The answer: They don't care about it if it's just regular old poop. But, if you eat 3 bananas - they go ape over it for about 2 hours after you drop it. After that, they don't care again. I think there is some sort of fruity pheromone in fresh banana doot that brings them in.

FYI

Sardaukar07
06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Details of experiment please. So I can, you know, replicate it and verify if it's accurate.

Morbid
06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
:lol: wtf?

bonepuppet
06-24-2009, 11:34 AM
ohhh, a backstory from brasstax

this could be good

Morbid
06-24-2009, 11:35 AM
ohhh, a backstory from brasstax

this could be good

Spxnge
06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
He called the **** poop

TheDemiGod
06-24-2009, 11:43 AM
I think they like fruit.

Brasstax
06-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Details of experiment please. So I can, you know, replicate it and verify if it's accurate.

Pretty simple.

Equipment:

(2) Clean dinner plates
Bananas

Basically, just wait until you have to take a dump and get it on the center of the plate. Try not to handle the poo.

Then, just put it in the backyard and watch it for awhile. You will see that no fruit flies will come. Now, go inside and eat 3 bananas. Next time you ****, do it on a different clean plate. Then, go outside and set the plate on the ground. Little fruit flies will come in like crazy and hover over it for about 2 hours. (However, they will not land! I am trying some new fruit mixes to see if I can get them interested in landing but the results are not conclusive yet.)

After two hours, they go away. You would think they would arrive and leave on a bell curve pattern of frequency. But, they all arrive and leave at the same time. This tells me that they also communicate somehow.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Maybe we could be lab partners or something?

bam
06-24-2009, 11:44 AM
:rofl:

HelenKeller
06-24-2009, 11:45 AM
i'll be your lab partner

have you tried other fruits yet? what about other non-fruit sweet foods?

Brasstax
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM
i'll be your lab partner

have you tried other fruits yet? what about other non-fruit sweet foods?

Hey HK. Thanks for helping out. That's a darn good idea. I have been busy so I haven't been able to dedicate as much time to this as I would like to. However, I did find out that plantains work. I also have a hunch that Jolly Ranchers mask the scent. I will probably need to get a signed Non-Disclosure from you to tell you more about that theory, though.

But yeah... You have any bananas and plates?

HelenKeller
06-24-2009, 11:51 AM
even better - i have a child that is obsessed with eating all kinds of fruit. also because she has a shorter digestive tract, we may be able to crank out quite a few samples in relatively short order

edit: for breakfast, the fruit she's had include blueberries, strawberries and green grapes. will hopefully be able to report with some findings in a few hrs

Brasstax
06-24-2009, 11:55 AM
even better - i have a child that is obsessed with eating all kinds of fruit. also because she has a shorter digestive tract, we may be able to crank out quite a few samples in relatively short order

****ing awesome. My boy only goes every 3 days or so. He's a stockpiler. Can you please make sure to record the temp, barometric pressure, and humidity please? I am also using PH test strips now. But, feel free to just have your kid **** on plates and take pictures too. You can have a share of any patents that come out of this.

HelenKeller
06-24-2009, 11:57 AM
yes the humidity may be a bit of an issue, as it's quite dry here, especially compared to oregon, i'd imagine

Brasstax
06-24-2009, 12:00 PM
yes the humidity may be a bit of an issue, as it's quite dry here, especially compared to oregon, i'd imagine

This is great! I am feeling a little something. OK. I am a little shy about my ideas and I HATE to guess in the face of good science... But! Do you think it would be too much to assume that the flies will linger for less time with the dry heat???? I am just a little wary because I have been the victim of counter-intuitive result sets so many, many times. I guess it's really best to just wait and see. Sigh.

Gwaihir
06-24-2009, 12:03 PM
I have a science background so would be happy to peer review your report before submission for publication to a reputable journal.

HelenKeller
06-24-2009, 12:04 PM
i would venture to guess that there is some sort of correlation with humidity AND heat, but i have no doubt that extensive experimentation will be the only way to find any conclusive evidence

Brasstax
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a science background so would be happy to peer review your report before submission for publication to a reputable journal.

Yes - but can you poop with us? That is the real question. No poop, no soup buddy. However, even if you can't poop you will be considered for this position. You sound like a go-getter and that's important.

EDIT - Damn. I have to stop myself from making all the decisions now. I forget that this is a team. Forgive me? What's the majority say? <kicking myself for being such an ass>

Procell
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
pics pf plates

HelenKeller
06-24-2009, 12:10 PM
brass, as you're the senior analyst, i will defer to your decision making