Setting permanent process priority

NiceBoy
03-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Is there any way to set a program's process priority to "normal" and have it stay there permanently?

right now, every time i restart my game, it resets it to "below normal"

Vlasic
03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Something like that would need to be a setting in the game

CED/Esmeralda
03-27-2008, 08:43 AM
You can do a batch file shortcut for your desktop to start the game which makes it start in designated priority... Doesn't always work for me... I am surprised your game starts in 'below normal' cause I thought 'normal' was default so Vlasic may have a good point and its a change that can be done in one of the game files.. What game BTW??

I think(??) one of the peeps in Tribes Talk(below category) had a tutorial on this for T:V or T-2(works for any game usually) and how to set it up but I can't seem to find it and since I don't do this that often, I have forgotten the exact steps... Maybe the other peeps here can help on this...

If you are using a Duo or Quad core, you may want to think about running at 'above normal' or 'high' ===> I have the Q6600 with 4GBs ram and run Tribes Vengeance at high priority with no probs but I do that by starting game first, then ctrl+alt+del and making reset in Task Manager....

GL, and lets us know your solution so we can know and learn too..

CED/Esmeralda
03-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Found it: bittah.com :: View topic - Tribes 2 resources (http://www.bittah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=304529#30 4529)

For Tribes 2:
1. Click Start
2. Select/click Run
3. Type: notepad and press enter.
Once notepad is open, type the below lines in the file and save as **.bat file(course you want to use the 'normal' priority rather than the 'above normal' you see below and the path for your game!!)

Tribes 2 Multi-Core Processor:
With multi-core processors (dual, quad, octo) you are required to set the core affinity for the ***8220;Tribes 2 Executable***8221; tribes2.exe or "Defense Turret Executable" dt.exe in Windows Task Manager. Alternately you can add the required parameters to a batch file.

T2 Batch File(type):
@echo off
CD C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameDa ta
start /affinity 1 /abovenormal tribes2.exe -online -login name password -mod classic
exit

or

DT Batch File(type):
@echo off
CD C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameDa ta
start /affinity 1 /abovenormal dt.exe -online -login name password -mod classic
exit

NiceBoy
03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
im trying to do this for diablo 2...

any way to change that above batch file to d2?

CED/Esmeralda
03-27-2008, 05:10 PM
OK, I might not get this exactly right and if I don't, hopefully the other knowledgable peeps here will step-in and help... Say you have Diablo 2 installed in your Program Folder in a file called Diablo2... Now you want to open that folder and find where the execution icon to start-up the game is... Lets say its in your 'Data' folder so your path is: C:\Program Files\Diablo2\Data

So what you would type in Notepad is the following and save as Diablo2.bat and this will create a batch file(icon folder) on your Desktop ==> again this is just an example; I do not know your exact install and folder names, etc...
TYPE this in Notepad:

@echo off
CD C:\Program Files\Diablo2\Data
start /affinity 1 /normal Diablo2.exe -online -login name password
exit

Now you may not need "-login name password" if your game requires no login name and password when you enter the game at start-up ~~~> I am just doing this from the Tribes2 set-up which does require a login name and password

Then you just dbl-click on the batch file icon on your desktop to start the game up... I am really not adept at all in writing batch files so again I say we may need some help from more knowledgable people here on the forum... If I were you, I would goto the Diablo 2 Forums and ask the gurus there how to make a batch file for a 'normal' priority, they should know and be able to help you... GL...

NiceBoy
03-27-2008, 11:49 PM
tried the above... doesnt work. i double click, then it opens up a window and a split second later, its gone..

I tried making a .bat file in the game's directory and putting this in there=

cmd /c start /Normal D2.exe

it loads the game all fine, but still won't change the priority from belownormal to normal.

CED/Esmeralda
03-28-2008, 12:02 AM
You have got to put in: CD C:\ yadda yadda yadda ==> CD stands for 'Change Directory' which we are trying to do so it won't start in the default setting of 'below normal';i.e., we are changing how and what priority it is starting in...

Just to be sure you are doing what I say: click on start button, select/click on Run; type in: Notepad; then type in:

@echo off
CD C:\Program Files\Diablo2\Data
start /affinity 1 /normal Diablo2.exe -online -login name password
exit
<==== but with the proper files and path as discussed above

Then select 'File' at top left of Notepad and "save as" and write in D2.bat or Diablo2.bat, and click on OK or Yes(whatever it is)...

If this doesn't work, then ask on the Diablo 2 forums; there should be some gurus there who can work this out easily for you whether its a change in a file as Vlasic suggested or how to do a correct batch file.. GL, and let us know how it goes, thanks....

NiceBoy
03-28-2008, 01:41 PM
yea, my friend just told me that some games cant have permanent priorities set.

Oh well, thanks for the help