How long can an eyelash be stuck in your eye?

Obscured.Cherub
01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
For the last month or so, usually right when I wake up I would feel like something was in my eye. I would rub it a few times, and usually it would go away after a while. It would occasionally bug me later on in the day. It would come and go every day, or every few days.

This morning it happened again and I looked close and saw a small eyelash. I spent 10 minutes getting it out.

Is it possible that same damned eyelash was stuck in there this entire time?

DMAUL
01-11-2008, 12:18 PM
eyelashes are usually pretty ****ing painful...but if it went around to the back of the eye i could see that happening

Infinite
01-11-2008, 12:22 PM
this is going to require an algorithm

SL83
01-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Just keep blinking and blinking. The motion will guide it towards the inner edge of your eye. Once there, it's easy to get out.

SkivviS
01-11-2008, 12:40 PM
also, pull down your lower eyelid on the inner corner a bit, and check that you dont have eyelashes that are growing in and curling under your eyelid. i had a problem with this and the optomologist told me to pluck them (which is very painful for a few seconds and makes your eyes tear up), and it will eventually stop. mine has

Eggi
01-11-2008, 12:41 PM
http://www.pinewoodpro.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/sandpaper-big.jpg
+
http://www.spiralock.com/images/system5_sag_drill.jpg

SL83
01-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Maybe you have a stye?

Stye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stye)

Jungle Fish
01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
its herpes of the eyelash

Obscured.Cherub
01-11-2008, 12:54 PM
It was an eyelash.

I already got it out.

I just wonder if it's been the same damn eyelash for months that never went away.

Obscured.Cherub
01-11-2008, 12:55 PM
also, pull down your lower eyelid on the inner corner a bit, and check that you dont have eyelashes that are growing in and curling under your eyelid. i had a problem with this and the optomologist told me to pluck them (which is very painful for a few seconds and makes your eyes tear up), and it will eventually stop. mine has

Cool, I'll check this out.

HelenKeller
01-11-2008, 01:13 PM
depending on the eyelash...coarseness...th ey can get stuck in there for quite a while. i remember having a darkie friend in college who had an eyelash somehow latch itself under the upper eyelid, to the point of no amount of eye washing or whatever would get it out. ultimately he had an eye dr flip his eyelid inside out and was able to get it out that way.

but that poor ****er had that thing in his eye for well over a month, and by the end of it he was definitely in a fair amount of pain/irritation

Risuli
01-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Since you located the eyelash, I am sure all is well. However, not to make you paranoid, but there is a eye condition which has the exact symptoms you mention. That is a sharp pain in the eye, usually upon awaking when you open your eye.

It has the goofy name of Map-Dot-Fingerprint (MDF) dystropy. It is caused by a weak attachment of the outer layer cells of the cornea to the eye substrate. What happens is that at night everyone's eyes become dryer as your body does not manufacture as much tears when you sleep. So, the eye become dry, and the weakly attached outer layer cells of the cornea become attached to your eyelid. When you awake and open the eye, a few outer cells of the cornea are pealed away from the eye.

In the early stages of MDF, this feels like an eyelash caught in your eye. However, if you have MDF, it may continue to progress so that more and more cells of the cornea are peeled away during each occurrence to the point of what is called a corneal erosion, a situation of excrutiating eye pain and disablement.

MDF can be genetic, or the result of a prior eye injury. It gets its name from the look of the underlying cells that, under a scope, look like a relief map, dots, or a fingerprint.

Again, I am sure you found your problem. But, if you see a pattern of reoccurrences, I suggest you see an opthalmologist to get a firm diagnosis.

Class dismissed...

PS. It can't be cured with sand paper either...