Opened bottle of red wine in the fridge.. yes/no?

Pages : [1] 2

SharpShooter
11-07-2007, 09:03 PM
People seem to disagree over this like they're talking politics. I've grown up hearing that you shouldn't put red wine in the refrigerator but from what I've read.. it's perfectly fine. So I googled it and this is pretty much what I got:

Does an open red wine belong in the refrigerator?
Absolutely Not! Red wine does not belong in the fridge!!!
refrigerating an open bottle of red will slow down the oxidation. just bring it out in plenty of time to let it reach room temperature again. Oxygen is your big enemy so try to have as little air space and seal the bottle good.
No no no no no!!!!!
Opened bottles of red wine should be refrigerated. The exception is if you finish half the bottle and happen to have some 375mL bottles. Feel free to pour the remaining wine into the cleaned 375mLs, cork them and store them like unopened bottles. There won't be enough oxygen in the 375mL to damage the wine, where as if you used the original you essentially have 375mL of air that can damage it. The cold slows that down.

If you have to refrigerate it, just bring it out 15-30 minutes before serving so it warms up to "cellar" temperature -- 55-60F. Never let any alcohol get above 74F, the ethanol will vaporize.
Red wine never belongs in the fridge! Dont even think about it.

As you can see, the for refrigeration people are definitely a lot more convincing than the likely female dumb housewives that say nothing more than 'No no no!!'

So yay or nay? Obviously if you're going to drink it in a few days then there is no point but if I can stretch a bottle an extra 2-3 days by doing this then it'd be pretty helpful.

SuperTrap
11-07-2007, 09:04 PM
I like my red wine cold. I guess I'm just a rebel

TW_Dagger
11-07-2007, 09:06 PM
No, drink wine fast.

Metropolis
11-07-2007, 09:06 PM

you might as well piss in the bottle and drop in some red food coloring

cause thats about the same as drinking red cold

Limbo
11-07-2007, 09:07 PM
It's called throw it out cuz it taste like water after a day.

SuperTrap
11-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Told ya

TonyElTigre
11-07-2007, 09:08 PM
you really should try and get the air out of it, the fridge isnt gonna do much, imo you shouldnt really save a half bottle of wine for more than a couple days

SharpShooter
11-07-2007, 09:15 PM
People suggest using wine stoppers/smaller bottles AND THEN putting in the fridge as well. And I'm not going to listen to anyone that says you can't keep wine for more than a day or so because they are morons.

reZolut
11-07-2007, 09:21 PM

blasphemy!

Automatic Jack
11-07-2007, 09:21 PM

It's not like it's poison or anything. Americans like their drinks cold, serve it how you like it I say.

MiNiOn
11-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Just ****ing take some shots before you drink it, then it won't matter.

GlassShadow
11-07-2007, 09:42 PM
People suggest using wine stoppers/smaller bottles AND THEN putting in the fridge as well. And I'm not going to listen to anyone that says you can't keep wine for more than a day or so because they are morons.

Yeap you figured it out.

TonyElTigre
11-07-2007, 10:15 PM
a bottle of wine is like 4 glasses, do you really need to drink it in halves?

Lemon
11-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Remove the air with one of those thingys and it should keep for at least a week either refrigerated or at room temperature.

keneth16
11-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Maybe drink the whole bottle?

Kiint
11-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Opened bottle? No
Refrigerated Red? Maybe, depends how hot it is where you are. If you dont have a wine fridge, then throwing it in the fridge to get it about 18c is fine.

ScottTheWise13
11-07-2007, 10:51 PM
It's not like it's poison or anything. Americans like their drinks cold, serve it how you like it I say.

wow AJ, i am impressed. someone on TW advocating people to eat/drink what they like, not just what is the correct cut of meat, type of sushi, authentic mexican/chinese food, etc... unheard of!

nolt
11-07-2007, 10:54 PM
ive got one of those vacuum pumps, and ive been meaning to try one of those cans of argon gas...

with the vacuum i dont fridge reds after ive opened them but i do try to polish them off as quickly as reasonable.
its not that i cant finish a bottle of wine its that i like having a number of them open at once.

Gorlax
11-07-2007, 10:54 PM
NEVER put a red wine in the fridge, cork it back but don't keep it for more than 2 days.

I am French I know wine...

I-C-E
11-07-2007, 10:55 PM
The only experience I can garnish on this topic is the fancy restaurant I work at that does not refrigerate open red-wine bottles.