How to remove velcro glue from my windshield

Pages : [1] 2

Annoying
07-19-2007, 10:36 AM
I put up velcro on my car to hold a transponder for a toll highway.

Anyways it was a hot day outside, the velcro wasn't industrial strength so it melted and now I got glue on my windshield.

Before I put a new industrial strength velcro I was wondering whats a good way to remove it. I dont want to use scraper because some of the glue is over some black dots that are on the windshield. I am not sure if these dots are vinyl or plastic but I gotta be careful with them because its a leased car.

P.S. girlfriend got me the first velcro (*double sigh*)

Any ideas? (besides sandpaper)

Zombie
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Al-key-haul

Vee
07-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Goo Gone

Annoying
I thought so too...

I was also thinking nailpolish remover but gotta be careful with the vinyl

Alvarez
Anytime you need to remove glues its best to heat it... Heatgun or hairdryer... From there you might use a screwdriver or something to remove it and dodge the black plastic..

Dunno I understand the black plastic things very well or how the glue is on the window but hope thats helpful!

Annoying
07-19-2007, 10:40 AM
hairdrier is a good idea.

JuggerNaught
07-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Goo Gone

telos
07-19-2007, 10:53 AM
goo gone might remove the black dots as well depending what they are put on there with.

Probably best bet is to heat it and use a fine tip screw driver to surgically remove it.

lemon
07-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Why'd you put it over the black dots?

Vee
07-19-2007, 11:10 AM
You cannot remove the black dots, they are ceramic and baked on when the glass is made.

Annoying
07-19-2007, 11:11 AM
I put the transponder right behind the mirror so it doesn't block my view. black dots make a triangle/half ellipse to the mirror.

Also, I planned on keeping there for three years and turning in the car with those velcro stickers.

JoMo
07-19-2007, 11:11 AM
post more pics of your GF, and I shall give u the secret.

Diablo Escobar
07-19-2007, 11:13 AM
pics of g/f vge

Empirion
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
careful with a leased car? lol

Alarik
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
sandpaper

Annoying
07-19-2007, 11:21 AM
You cannot remove the black dots, they are ceramic and baked on when the glass is made.

I just may adopt you as my member.

A. you made two informative posts.
B. you got hot girl in your signature.

I approve.

Ok... the dots look like this:
http://www.wonderquest.com/2002-07-26-black-dots.jpg

Seeing dots on windshields
Q: Several years ago, black dots started appearing on new vehicle windshields. The dots are usually only around the periphery of the windshield. What purpose do these dots serve? --Brad, Midland, Texas

A: Windshield glass contains a black enamel band (called the frit) around the periphery that is baked into the glass. This black band includes a border of dots. See figure. The band has an etched surface to enable adhesive to bond to the glass, says a sales manager at Able Auto Glass. When car manufacturers install the windshield, they bond the windshield to the vehicle with adhesive placed on the etched part of the black enamel glass area (inside surface). The outside of the enamel band shades the adhesive from the Sun and protects it from ultraviolet radiation. The band also serves a cosmetic purpose by covering up the adhesive and gives the windshield edge "a more finished look."

are you sure those can't be removed though? are they bonded internally or externally?

pics of g/f vge

post more pics of your GF, and I shall give u the secret.

10 pages = more pics.

Get with the program.

Tanked
07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Get a rag, dip it in some gasoline.

Use it to rub off the glue.

Fitty
07-19-2007, 11:28 AM
goo gone works very well.

I used it on a metal picture frame that had three year old masking tape glue that refused to come off. It worked very fast and the frame was not damaged at all.

cyclozine
07-19-2007, 12:39 PM
acetone

cyclozine
07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
this goes without saying, make sure the acetone doesnt touch anything other than the glass.. if it so much as touches the upholstery or dash or any plastic parts there will be very noticable permanent damage

a good source of acetone is your gf's nail polish remover