i just soaked my hurt ankle in warm water w/ epson salt

Fancy Cat
07-28-2006, 06:35 PM
ok so... is that really going to help?

my hippie doc told me to do this

i don't see how soaking my foot in warm salt water is going to help a 3rd degree sprained ankle?

someone explain this to me physiologically

JavaBean
07-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Eh. I don't know how it all works, but epson salt is usually the **** when it comes to stuff. Always seemed to remember it working when I was a kid. Haven't needed it lately. :shrug:

Philipsz
07-28-2006, 06:37 PM
I am more of a Canon salt person.

BlackJack
07-28-2006, 06:38 PM
apparently salts are known to hold heat in the water longer which helps relax your ankle, make it heal faster and take the pain away (from google) :sunny:

assfrags
07-28-2006, 06:39 PM
I am more of a snort some cocaine and run it off type of person

Fancy Cat
is my foot absorbing the epson salt via osmosis and the epson then converting into nanobots which is repaired my ruptured ligaments?

i read on the box that if you take epson salt orally it makes you poop a lot

not gonna sprinkle that on my baked potato

redlighter
Epson Salt is chemically known as Magnesium Chloride (MgC12) and it is a salt traditionally used as a relaxing healing soak for sprained or sore muscles.

SniperOmega
you dont have any magic spray like they do for the world cup?

gibsonic
07-28-2006, 06:40 PM
first day is cold therapy(ice packs, etc), second day is heat is the general rule

but ive taken many a epsom salt bath after a hard soccer game and felt 10x better afterwards.

shtbreakd
yeah i remember i used to use that too

i didnt really notice a difference but i still did it like the ***** i am

gibsonic
you dont have any magic spray like they do for the world cup?

if only they would come out with a magic spary to keep them from diving.

Fancy Cat
07-28-2006, 06:41 PM
apparently salts are known to hold heat in the water longer which helps relax your ankle, make it heal faster and take the pain away (from google) :sunny:

hmmm

if thats the only answer, well, i guess it makes sense. but i wonder why espon salt vice regular salt? i know we use rock salt when making ice cream. why not use rock salt?

also, the water didn't stay hot very long to be honest

Philipsz
It's epsom salt!

Don't sue me!

Yankee
Magnesium - the key component of Epsom Salt -- performs more functions in more systems of the human body than virtually any other mineral, including regulating the activity of more than 325 enzymes.
Studies show that magnesium is:

An electrolyte, helping to ensure proper muscle, nerve and enzyme function.
Critical to the proper use of calcium in cells.
An aid in helping to prevent heart disease and strokes by lowering blood pressure, protecting the elasticity of arteries, preventing blood clots and reducing the risk of sudden heart attack deaths.

Medical research also indicates that magnesium may:

Increase the effectiveness of insulin, helping to lower the risk or severity of diabetes.
Reduce inflammation and relieves pain, making it a beneficial in the treatment of sore muscles, bronchial asthma, migraine headaches and fibromyalgia.

Although magnesium can be absorbed through the digestive tract, many foods, drugs and medical conditions can interfere with the effectiveness of this deliver method. Therefore, soaking in an Epsom Salt bath is one of the most effective means of making the magnesium your body needs readily available.

Epsom Salt also delivers sulfates, which medical research indicates are needed for the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins and the mucin proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract. Studies show that sulfates also stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes and help to detoxify the body's residue of medicines and environmental contaminants. Studies indicate that sulfates are difficult to absorb from food, but are readily absorbed through the skin.

MeSlayer
07-28-2006, 06:44 PM
the more you know!

Fancy Cat
07-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Studies indicate that sulfates are difficult to absorb from food, but are readily absorbed through the skin.

ba da bing ba da boom

thanks for that post yankee

i feel as if i have learned something today

i hope this **** kicks in fast, the sooner my ankle heals the sooner i can fly again (and run, fatty mcfats)

SniperOmega
07-28-2006, 06:45 PM
http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0515/4490722_200X150.jpg

Darkstrand
07-28-2006, 06:45 PM
you shoudl ya know... exercise your ankles better