Direct TV's USB plug (spoke with a tech)

CelticMojo
03-28-2006, 11:46 PM
for anyone with Direct TV. I remember a thread a while back someone asked what was the USB port for (on the reciever box).
In the manual it says for future use.
I had a tech out today to fix some sloppy work the installer did and asked about the usb. The tech told me you can store information directly to your PC's HD, He said he recommends it and also has seen people pop thier DVR box open and add extra drive space.
Just thought I would share incase you haven't experimented with it yet.

KillerONE
03-28-2006, 11:49 PM
The USB on my Tivo let's me install USB Wireless/Wired Ethernet Adapters. :brows:

Of which allows me to transfer recordings to my computer, which in turn allows me to burn them on DVD.

With my Tivo, I can also browse pictures and songs on my computer.

I can also play games, check weather, movie listings, etc, etc.

Tivo rocks. Can't wait for the HD version later this year. :)

:)

GreyGhost
03-28-2006, 11:49 PM
hmmm, only use used to be you could have a usb wireless adapter to your network.

then you no longer needed the phoneline.

edit: this is the D-TV version.

CelticMojo
03-28-2006, 11:51 PM
The Direct TV DVR reciever box is similar to Tivo. A bit behind in technology though from the sounds of it. There is only one USB port. I haven't ****ed with it yet though.
Gonna hook it up tomorrow and see if I can pull data off of it.

GreyGhost
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
I have the HD TiVo, maybe I'll try to see what I can do tomorrow.

Dreka
03-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Dotted for future reference.

Vermouth
03-29-2006, 12:01 AM
heh

i'm 100% for being able to record and share ****, but at what point does all this become "illegal"? it's obviously legal to record it onto the tivo hard drive. is it legal to transfer that to your pc? to change it's format to xvid or whatever? to share it with friends that also have it on tivo?

the rules behind all this are such bull****.

CelticMojo
03-29-2006, 12:06 AM
I don't know or care about that ****. I was just wondering why was there a usb port on the back of my reciever DVR and the only thing it said about it in the manual is. For future use.

Stinkfist
03-29-2006, 10:29 AM
the USB on the directv box is inactive. there may be plans for future use, but as of now, it's inactive.

I've got a pc sitting behind my entertainment center that is hooked up to my DVR so i can let it do updates. W/ vonage, i could never get it to connect.

On a standard Tivo S2 box, the usb is enabled and you can hookup a wired/wireless nic to it and do updates through that instead of dialing.

Gil
03-29-2006, 11:37 AM
That's cool. Kinda makes me want to get a tivo.

Maybe when I go somewhere that I can get verizon fios. Anyone know if they have fios in the seattle/tacoma markets?

Cheater
03-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I think it was me who asked the original question about the Directv DVR that I got for Christmas. I looked all over and all I ever learned is that the USB is functional but that it would only aid in networking. I'd like to get more info on replacing the HD with a larger capasity disk.....like is there an OS or is that all firmware that will let me just throw in a 500 gig HDD?

Kaiser
03-29-2006, 11:52 AM
The Screen Savers (prior to G4TV suckage) had a whole segment devoted to expanding their TiVO box with another HD. I'm trying to find the info right now.

Kaiser
03-29-2006, 11:58 AM
**** G4. Can't seem to find it. Found some articles on google. Sorry Cheater :/

GreyGhost
03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I think it was me who asked the original question about the Directv DVR that I got for Christmas. I looked all over and all I ever learned is that the USB is functional but that it would only aid in networking. I'd like to get more info on replacing the HD with a larger capasity disk.....like is there an OS or is that all firmware that will let me just throw in a 500 gig HDD?

I added a drive and cooling fan from www.weaknees.com to my series one.

The drive is already formatted correctly and comes with mounting brackets built for your TiVo.

Respice
03-29-2006, 12:42 PM
I have the DirecTV HD TiVo DVR and I'm going to try and get it hooked up to wireless. I doubt it is plug and play, are there any sites out there that dicuss getting this to work?

Stinkfist
03-29-2006, 02:41 PM
to both cheater and respice:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/

great source for both the standard tivo and DTV Tivo. links to place s to buy stuff for the tivo to do upgrades, etc etc.

As for the USB, the only way i know to upgrade it is to go in via the serial port and install the drivers manually. but i'm not sure how to do it :).....and the problem with tinkering with the Os is that (aside from the obvious if it's fubar, you're sol), every time the os upgrades, you have to reapply the drivers iirc.